Injured....

deeno
on 5/17/05 2:12 am - Kokomo, IN
Well, it's not from football, either. I was umpiring slow pitch adult softball last night behind the plate. I got hit in the mouth from a foul tip. It clocked me pretty good. I have a gash in my mouth...sort of like a crater. I'll spare you any further details. I went to the ER (after finishing my game and the game after that---yeah, I'm that tough), and they couldn't do stitches. The doc said it would be a guaranteed infection because it is in the mouth and there's all sorts of germs there. So, lucky me got a tetnus shot and a course of antibiotics. I'm a little swollen today, and it hurts, but it's not too bad. My teeth are fine, and you wouldn't know I was "injured" unless I told you--then you'd notice the swelling. It's also noticable when I talk--my mouth is a little heavy, and it hurts to talk. I should be OK in a day or two. Now for the good news....I weigh 208 again. I lost those 2 pounds (unexplainedly) again. Also, with my mouth injury, I'm thinking twice before eating anything, and I'm avoiding food because it hurts. I'm going to have trouble getting my protein in until this heals, but a recent check of my protein levels was fine, so a few low protein days shouldn't hurt me. I know protein will help me to heal, so I'll do my best. Don't suggest shakes, they make me gag. So, with thi**** to my mouth, I may lose another pound or two. Not a diet I'd recommend, but at this point I'll take what I can get! Diana
GailD
on 5/17/05 3:36 am - Racine, WI
Oooouuuuccchhh! Sorry about your injury! But glad that you're still okay for football! You're right -- I'll bet you lose a few pounds--and at this point in our weight loss...that's a GOOD thing! Take care of yourself! Gail D. -105
Lovin2cu
on 5/17/05 5:50 am - southbridge, MA
Hi Diana, OUCH!!!! So sorry to hear about your injury. Im glad you will be okay. I hope youre not in too much pain! Feel better soon. Lisa in Mass 360/283.5/164
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/05 6:45 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Thank goodness you didn't lose your teeth! You probably don't need to worry about your protein, but if it's an issue, you can always try those Zero Carb Isopure drinks at GNC. They kind of taste like watered-down kool-aid, with 40g protein in one bottle. But honestly, I wouldn't bother. Pamela -102
Cyndi S.
on 5/17/05 7:08 am - Springfield, OH
Diana, OMG! Don't umpires wear cages like the catcher? Guess I've just never noticed. Both my boys play hockey and I'm always surprised that the coaches and refs don't have more injuries. Hope you heal quickly. Cyndi
Tara118
on 5/17/05 11:41 am - Trenton, OH
OUCH!!!!! Those mouth injuries are the worst!! I too am glad your teeth were spared!! I hope you heal quickly!! Tara 305/176/170 -129 6lbs til GOAL *Behind Every Good Woman is Herself*
IrishIze
on 5/17/05 9:54 pm - NJ
Yowch!! Right in the kisser as my Dad would say. Sorry you got hurt - my son had his nose broken much the same way. Hope you're feeling better with each passing day. How about some cottage or ricotta cheese for protein - not too much chewing involved. Hugs, Nancy -110
hockeyhottie
on 5/18/05 12:51 am - Madison Heights, MI
Sorry to hear about your mishap! I was thinkingthe same thing as Cyndi, I think the umps in my son's league all wear masks. However I suppose the metal from the mask could still bump you and cause and injury. Glad to hear it wasn't more serious and you won't be out of commission too long! Smiles, Mel
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views