Visit with the plastic surgeon

JustHat
on 5/4/05 4:21 pm - NM
I am finally home. The trip to see the PS took us 8 hours. We stopped for diner once and drinks another time. I thought the trip was only going to take 4 or 5 hours each way. So, we were going to do it in a day. But, when I found out last weekend that it was such a long trip, I decided we would leave the night before. I told my boss that I wanted to leave work early. I kind of make my own hours, so it isn't really leaving early. He knew why and told me to leave even earlier than I told him I wanted to. Then he called me and said he wanted me to go to the bank for him. But, I had to sit and wait for him to call back with the info. 2 hours later, he finally showed up in the office. He was bummed out about something. It was like pulling teeth getting the info out of him that I needed for the bank. So, I not only didn't get off early, but later than usual. We got into Phoenix at 1 am. We tried to sleep in this morning. But, since the kids slept in the car and there was a pool at the hotel, they were up early. Boo! Dh took them swimming and I got online for a few minutes. I had this pit in my belly that told me that it was a long wasted trip. But, when I saw the doc, he was really possitive. He will only do tummy or breasts at a time. He felt that we should go after my belly first. So, he took a look and some pictures. Two things sucked. I hated having him take the pictures even though I have them on my public profile. Go figure. The other thing that sucked was having him "play" with my skin. He pushed and pulled and tugged and tucked. I guess it didn't suck as much as was just plain ol' weird. I don't even let DH spend that much time with my belly skin...not that he wants to. The surgeon wasn't even going to talk about my breasts. But, I insisted. I told him that if I didn't get approved for the TT, then I wanted to have the breasts ready to submit. I really don't want to have to make that trip again for a 10 minute appointment. So, he had me strip and took a look. Amazing that after all those years of medical school, the best word he could come up with to discribe my breasts was "deflated." He rolled them, tucked them and announce that implants were a must. Then the tape measure came out and he took some notes. He said that if I opted for silicone, it would cost me an extra $1000. I haven't decided what I want. But, for now, we are focusing on the tummy. We explained the time limit we have with insurance running out in Aug. I didn't take anything with me like pictures or documents of a rash. I figured he would tell me what I needed and I could send it to him. But, he said he didn't need anything. But, he is confident that I can get approved. I hate to get my hopes up now since I had pretty much decided I wouldn't be approved. Apparently he will write it up to say that I had this procedure that they approved of and paid for that is now causing me problems that will need to be corrected. We talked briefly about my out of pocket expenses. He said that after they have settled with Tricare, they will bill me. But, Tricare sets the price and I would only have to pay my 20%. I feel good about this. I also had him take a look at my rear. I don't even know if he does rears. But, he said he doesn't think it is is a good surgery even though my rear is sad looking. I should have mentioned being compared to a dog. Anyway, his reason for rear lifts not being good are that it is heavy skin that is being pulled up. It tends to pull back down over time. So, the pulling down means that the scar is really large over time and it doesn't last. Plus, the scar is right where you sit. So, it is irritating. Since Tricare won't pay for it, I wasn't going to have it done anyway. But, reasons he gave made me feel better about not having it done. For now, I am optimistic but not too hopeful. Oh heck, who am I kidding? I am really hopeful. I had heard that this doc wouldn't do a TT until I was 15 months post op. So, it seems that he is really trying to work with me. He said that he is pretty booked up. But, he would work me in. He said the paperwork should be sent off to Tricare by Monday. Oh and he said because I had an open RNY, he would do an anchor cut. On the way home, DH pointed out that it was a good thing because it will hide my WLS scar. Sure, I will have more of a scar. But, since I am not telling anyone about the WLS, I can say the scar is from the TT if someone should happen to see it. Hat
IrishIze
on 5/5/05 1:32 am - NJ
Well, Hat, if nothing else you got an education in the art of PS! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that you can get insurance approval - and quickly. Hope you'll let us know how things are going. Hugs, Nancy -107
deeno
on 5/5/05 2:14 am - Kokomo, IN
Hat Ask your doc if a "belt lipectomy" would help your rear end. A belt lipectomy is the tummy tuck that goes all the way around. My hubby had that done, and it lifted his buns a bit--less droopy. Hubby had breast reduction and belt lipectomy at the same time--took nine hours. I agree that it is better to split the surgeries into two procedures. Diana
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views