Flying~So Nervous

Tanja Y
on 4/22/05 1:46 am - Wahiawa, HI
Let me start this by saying I've never flown. Ever. Even my son has flown before and dh used to jump out of planes as part of his job so they don't understand my fear. We'll be flying this summer to Hawaii and I'm literally shaking in my socks at the idea. It's not just the idea of flying that scares me either, I am so freaking scared that we'll get to the airport, they'll take one look at me and say I have to buy another ticket because I'm too fat I don't think I'd be able to handle that if it happened! And since we're moving there (dh is military) I won't know for another month or two what airline we'll be taking so I can't even go to their website to get their seat dimensions. I was watching that airline reality show the other night and they made a man buy another ticket because of his size and it just freaked me out. He took it so well but I know I'd be a puddle of totally embaressed tears on the floor if they did that to me. Am I being crazy? Dh tells me I have no worries, but it's not his butt they would be saying is too big. I have been trying so hard to hurry up and lose weight before we go and naturally my weight loss has slowed down ~Tanja 448/282/148
Irene S.
on 4/22/05 3:56 am - NJ
Tanja I just recently flew on American to Ca. I weigh 210 or so and wear size 16. I fit into the seat and had at least 4-6 inches of spare lap belt. My hips are 49 inches. I think that Southwest is the airline that makes obese people buy 2 seats. So check their seat dimemsions. I was able to fly on American and Continental at 330lbs, squeezing into one seat with the armrests up. If I was too embarrassed to get a belt extender, I would just tuck the ends of the belt under my stomach. Try to relax about the flying part and think ahead to the good time you'll have in HI. I'm trying to go there for 2 wks this summer. irene
kberkihiser
on 4/22/05 4:55 am - Lancaster, PA
I have flown Delta and United at 300 + pounds, sometimes I needed a seat belt extension which my wonderful daughter would go get to spare me the embarassment. I never needed a 2nd seat and most of my weight was in my butt and lower belly, I did fit in the seat, but my DH always sat beside me and we put the armrest up so I would be comfortable. I had to use his tray bc I could not lower mine. I am so excited for my trip in June to the beach to use my own tray - I am now 190 and size 14/16 so I think I should be ok, especially by then! and I fly again to Disney world in December! I can't want to do Disney without all the excess weight I had... My before picture was taken there... the one next to the Mickey statue. I think you should be fine! Don't fly southwest, but even by their standards, you sound like you will be fine. The guy on the show the other night - I saw it too and my heart BROKE for him- was 350 pounds or more. I am sure you will be fine! Just concentrate on enjoying your trip and try to make the flight fun! Kristy B 306/190/165 -116 lost
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/05 4:06 am - Somewhere Else
First I'll say...I was just like you, nervous about flying. In 2000 I flew to Nashville and LOVED it...didn't want to get off the plane....airports suck though. I was 290 when I flew that trip and I never needed a second seat, wasn't even approached about buying one...I flew Air Canada. Enjoy your trip and don't worry, you're going to do well and have a great time! Linda 268/148 BELOW GOAL! and....................ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jcordell
on 4/23/05 4:45 am - TX
Tanja, I think you'll be fine! One of my original "goals" out of this surgery was fitting into an airplane seat. I fly quite often, and only once did I require a seat belt extender (while at my heaviest-330-ish). Never have I been required to purchase an additional seat. You should be fine. As for the flying itself-piece of cake! The airport is actually much worse than the flight itself! ha ha. I flew last Saturday to pick up my new car in California, and not only did I have plenty of extra seat belt, I was able to cross my legs and use my tray table with plenty of room to spare! All things that were IMPOSSIBLE before! Like I said, you'll do fine! And besides YOU'RE MOVING TO HAWAII!!! I AM SO JEALOUS!!! Take good care, Jeff
vhall99
on 4/25/05 3:32 am - Conyers, GA
Hi Tanja I can understand how you must feel! When I was younger I said I would never fly..well NEVER SAY NEVER. My career took me in a different path and I ended up traveling almost 4 to 5 times a week on an airplane. At my heaviest, which was 296. I never had to worry about being in my seat. Although it was snug for me. I still fit with no problem! so dont worry about that at all! As far as the flying. Just make sure you get a good book or a headset w/music or a book on tape to distract your thoughts of flying. I have traveled all over the world! and It gets easier the more you do it. I used to be married to someone in the military and alot of times they will schedule you on a military flight instead of a commerical plane and if so, the seating is a little better as far a room is concerned, and in my opinion much more comfortable then the commerical seating. Hope it all works out for you ! Valerie
Tanja Y
on 4/27/05 1:10 am - Wahiawa, HI
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! It's truely appreciated ~Tanja
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits