I'm Home from Back Surgery!

Patima
on 3/13/05 9:47 am - GA
Needless to say, this was a real experience. I was more concerned about my WLS care than my back surgery and although I met with the nutritionist and talked to everyone about my concerns, I still was worried. It all started when they had me in pre-op. As soon as the IV was started and I began seeing stars and feeling nauseous I knew I was on the wrong road! A full glucose bag! I was dumping and hadn't even left the pre-op area! Then the nurse argued with me. She said she had no notes of any restrictions for me (no WLS notes or anything) and was using the standard IV fluids as directed by anesthesia! Whoa! I don't know where I zoned to, but when I came back she had turned off the IV drip and I was feeling better. I remember telling my friend Eleanor that I wanted to go home and forget it. The next time I remember saying that she leaned over and said it was too late, surgery was over! I can't stress the importance of having someone with you at all times! Hubby was lucky they even let him off work for the day, but expected him to be available that night or he would have been there with me. When they brought my first meal Saturday morning of a Ginger Ale (not even diet), jello (not sugar free) and apple juice, I knew I was in for trouble. A quick call to hubby got some action and they brought me a sugar free popcicle......NOT.....it was No Sugar Added.....DUMP! Dumping and stitches do not go well together! It was late Saturday night before I got any supplements (Vitamins, B-12 or anything). I was not a happy camper. Every 6 hours someone was approaching me with a pill to take! Augh! Not to mention straws and real granulated sugar on my trays. My surgery ended up to be more extensive than at first thought, so my recovery time has been greatly extended. I am in a full upper body brace (from under the armpits to the hips) which for us with loose skin is extremely unpleasant. The doctors recommendation is to get an exercise leotard and try to hold it up. I can get up 5 times a day, and then for only 30 minutes and wear my brace even to go to the potty, so I am pretty restricted. Oh, the real bad thing is.....NO HOUSEWORK FOR 3 MONTHS! Now I am really upset (Ha-Ha). Anyway, I am home, and Jim will be here with me this week. He is reminding me that my time is up, so gotta run. Will sneak downstairs when I can. He doesn't have my wireless hooked up yet since the doctor let me come home early! Patti
us2bfat C.
on 3/13/05 10:01 am - selden, NY
glad your home and i hope your recovery goes as fast as possible and as painless as possible Stacy 232/140.5/140
IrishIze
on 3/13/05 10:08 am - NJ
Patti, I'm so glad you're home and doing well!! I can't believe they messed up so much in the hospital - especially after all of the precautions you took!! Imagine if it was something life threatening like an allergy to a med or something. That scares the HE77 out of me!!! I'm really glad you had someone with you and I'm glad your hubby is keeping a close eye. Get your rest and be a GOOD girl - do what your doc says!!! Hugs, and positive healing thoughts for a quick recovery!! Nancy -103
Tara118
on 3/13/05 11:13 am - Trenton, OH
WOW Patti!! Glad you are home. When you talked about the glucose drip I cringed myself. You poor thing. I would complain!! Take care of yourself!! Tara -117
deeno
on 3/13/05 10:24 pm - Kokomo, IN
Gosh, and I thought your people at the hospital were so prepared for you. How could they screw it up that bad? Sheesh! Glad the hard part is over. Concentrate on your recovery. You'll be "up and at'em" before you know it! Diana
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views