Surgery Again, But Different

Patima
on 3/9/05 11:36 am - GA
I know I haven't frequented the board much lately and I apologize. I have had back pain for about 2 1/2 years. I was hoping that WLS and the drop in weight would help the pain. It only seemed to be getting worse. The past few weeks it has become almost unbearable. I saw my Orthopedic Surgeon who ordered an MRI. When he got the results he referred me to a Neurosurgeon. I got the news I feared, but was expecting. I have spondylolisthesis in my lower back. Two disks in my back are herniated and lower vertebrae in my back have stress fractures and have broken down. They have scheduled immediate surgery for this Friday to have both disks totally removed and have 3 vertebrae fused together. I will be in a custom brace for 3 to 6 months. We had a discussion about my surgery and needs while I will be in the hospital. Hooray for Hubby who brought up the silastic ring and pouch rules. So once the surgeon knew about the WLS he understood our concern and had scheduled a visit from the dietician during my pre-op today. She asked what I liked to eat and drink and went over menus and supplements and protein drinks I preferred and she is going to have everything ordered. They will even keep sugar free jello and popcicles in the fridge for me! Hubby asked if I was worried about having back surgery and my response was "No, I'm worried about Oscar (my pouch)!" I am only 7 months post op. But after today's visit I feel they will be very attentive to my WLS needs. This is all happening so fast. Surgery is scheduled this Friday (March 11). I will be at Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to join in on all the wonderful monthly outings I read so much about. Patti
Traci K.
on 3/9/05 6:50 pm - Sullivan, MO
Patti - sorry about your need for more surgery. But it sure sounds like they'll take good care of you afterwards!! I'll be praying for you.
IrishIze
on 3/9/05 9:23 pm - NJ
Oh gee, (((Patti))) - I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but if it's going to free you from the pain you have been having, then it has to be done. Thumbs-up to the hospital for accommodating your WLS needs - it's nice to hear that they are taking it seriously. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers - in fact, I'm already sending positive healing thoughts!! Please let us know how you are as soon as you can. Hugs and loads of good wishes, Nancy -102
deeno
on 3/9/05 9:59 pm - Kokomo, IN
I certainly hope that you are feeling better soon. Back pain is certainly no fun at all, as you use your back in everything that you do. It's so cool that the hospital is taking your WLS needs seriously. You might want to speak with the dietician about increasing your protein after surgery, and maybe a little before surgery, too. This is supposed to help with the healing process (or so I've heard). I'm no doctor, so please check with yours--it's just what I've heard. Good luck to you. Diana
Deejay
on 3/10/05 3:15 am - Sparks, NV
I'm so sorry you have to have back surgery Patti, its very scary. I have chronic back pain too for about 8 years now, I thought for sure the surgery would help it too and its only gotten worse as well. Surgery is only option as well, but I'm too scared. I wish you the best of luck and I'm so happy they will tend to your dietary needs so well. Hugs, Deejay 257/169/150 -88 19 til goal
cindy m.
on 3/10/05 4:32 am - Trenton, MO
Hi Patty........Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. Sounds like you have a caring Dr. that will make sure you are well taken care of before,during, and after the surgery !!! Best wishes for a easy recovery!!!! Hugs ~Cindy~
jcordell
on 3/10/05 11:35 am - TX
Hi Patti, You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a speedy recovery and pain free future. Jeff
Angela E.
on 3/13/05 12:24 am - Staten Island, NY
OH HONEY I AM SO SORRY, BUT I HAVE FAITH IN YOU AND YOU'LL DO JUST FINE. I KNOW PERSONALLY THAT BACK PAINS AREN'T FUN. YOU'LL DO OKAY I'LL PRAY FOR YOU. ANGIE PS. I'LL TALK TO YOU SOON.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views