B-12 shots

Traci K.
on 3/5/05 3:00 am - Sullivan, MO
How many of you are doing B-12 shots AND are giving them to yourself? I tried the sublinguals and they weren't enough for me. I've been going to my PCP monthly for a B-12, but scheduling it and not going over a month is proving difficult. I'm now about 2 weeks past due (going on Monday) and I can feel it!! I'm sooo tired!! So I'm going to ask if he'll give me a prescription to give it to myself. I figure if diabetics can give themselves insulin shots, I can do a B-12! I give my dogs vaccinations, so it's no big deal to me. Just wondering if any of you are giving yourselves shots and did your insurance/doc give you a hard time about doing it yourself?
IrishIze
on 3/5/05 4:41 am - NJ
Luckily, the sublinguals are fine for me. I know there are people who do give themselves shots, but I don't know what all is involved with insurance, etc. Good luck! Hugs, Nancy -102
Sherri_B
on 3/5/05 9:11 am - washington, MO
traci , my dear i to struggled with sub .. so went to shots my dh gives me mine had 1 yesterday .. dr richardsons office prescribed mine and i just always call pharmacy on the 3rd and they refil it it saves a visit and money ..
MarinaS
on 3/5/05 10:44 am - Small Town, WA
I have been giving myself B12 shots in the leg even before surgery. I got mine from a Naturopath who has since retired. I am going to my PCP this week to get a script for more. I take mine on the 1st and 15th of the month.
Denise W.
on 3/5/05 10:24 pm - MD
Traci, I give myself monthly B12 shots in the big muscle in front of thigh. I use disposable sharps...same size that diabetics use for their insulin. The needle is very thin and painless. Just have the nurse at your doctor's office show you how to do it...its very easy and convenient! good luck
deeno
on 3/6/05 10:39 pm - Kokomo, IN
Hubby and i shoot each other every three weeks! It's easy. The B12 prescription is not very expensive either. I notice a big difference with the shot. Plus, remembering to take pills is a bigger pain in the rear than getting a shot there. **wink** Diana
kberkihiser
on 3/7/05 2:19 am - Lancaster, PA
I got one done a few months ago at the dr's office, He said every 6 months is normally fine. Should I be taking them monthly????/ Kristy B 306/201/165
Traci K.
on 3/7/05 2:23 am - Sullivan, MO
Kristy From everything I've read and from what my surgeon and my PCP tell me - we (as gastric bypass post-ops) need B12 shots monthly. Our bodies can't absorb any B12 from food at all, so we need them monthly. I know I run out of energy right about that 3-4 week mark and the B12 shot really helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views