Help - I'm gaining weight!

Leslie A.
on 3/1/05 2:45 am - Windsor Locks, CT
I have been struggling for the past month or so in that I am eating like crazy. And I am not eating what I should be. I will admit that I am treating myself constantly to cookies, bread, candy. I don't know what is wrong with me. I've put on about 5 lbs in the last few weeks and am devestated. I do work out 6 days a week though - that has not changed - thank goodness. I had really serious complications after my surgery and was very sick for awhile. I keep asking myself why I am doing this after everything I went through. I feel like my mind set is back to what it was before the surgery and that because of the amounts I can eat some days - I will gain the 80 lbs I lost right back! I get testy easily, anxious, in bad moods and that is not like me AT ALL. I can not believe how much I can eat now - I long back for the days in August where all I could handle was a teaspoon of yogurt. Has anyone else gone through this and how do you stop and get yourself back on track?
Traci K.
on 3/1/05 3:53 am - Sullivan, MO
I do have days where I seem to be hungry all day, then the next day one or two bites and that's all I can do. So I can relate to that! How much volume are you eating? If it's more than say, 1 cup - I'd contact your surgeon to make sure there isn't something going on with your pouch. The only other thing I could suggest is what you probably already know: measure out your food portions. Eat only that and stop all snacking. Make sure you drink all your water, protein first and keep up the good work with the exercising!! It's much easier to stop this now - with only 5 lbs.
Irene S.
on 3/1/05 5:34 am - NJ
Are you a member of a support group? Keeping in touch with people that have had surgery helps to keep us on track too. Does your surgeon have a support group? Have you looked to see what else is available in your area? If you're a member of a group that meets once a month, perhaps you would benefit from more contact. Can you arrange informal get togethers with others that have had wls? Keep yourself immersed in and surrounded by the whole wls life. Go to meetings, cultivate friendships with other wls people and make a daily commitment to yourself. If you really and truly are unable to do these things, perhaps some counseling would help by working on the compulsive eating issues. Unfortunately, we didn't have brain surgery and this will become a struggle the further out we get from surgery. irene
deeno
on 3/2/05 12:20 am - Kokomo, IN
My scale has fluctuated as much as 5-8 pounds, even when I weigh myself at the same time of day, nekkid (now there's a pretty picture). Don't worry about the number on the scale (man, if I could only take my own advice!). DO worry about controlling your eating habits--remember that's how most of us got big in the first place. Even though you've had the "cure-all"surgery, you still need to do some work on your part. Remember the old diet days where you'd eat fruit and veggies and stay away from the bad stuff (cake, etc...)? make sure you're getting the protein first now, of course. Since this was a surgery on your stomach and not on your head it might be worth it to do a little work on your head. See a therapist (really) to help with your food issues and anxiety over it. Or, go to actual group support meetings with actual humans. Yeah, OH online is great, but there is something to be said about meeting with actual people sometimes. Wishing you success, Diana
Jan B
on 3/6/05 4:27 am - Rehoboth, MA
Get back to protein. Bad carbs like cookies and candy make the blood sugar go up and shortly after the blood sugar falls. This causes more hunger! Concentrate on protein and vegetables. Jan B
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views