? On Biotin and Iron

hockeyhottie
on 2/20/05 8:36 am - Madison Heights, MI
I just got my labs back and I am anemic. I have purchased an iron supplement (with b12, iron and folic). I also have continued to lose my hair-so I purchased Biotin (1000mg) I am taking both once daily. About how long should it take for me to start seeing results on each? Hoping someone here might have experienced something similar Thanks! Smiles Mel
carbfreecathy
on 2/21/05 1:18 am - Michigan City, IN
Hi Mel, Since hair folicles have a 3 month lifecycle the new folicles will take 3 months to regenerate if you continue this therapy. I'd also suggest you make sure you have a protein intake well above the recommended 60 grams/day. I usually get in around 100 gms of protein daily. I have been taking 1000 mcg Biotin and 90mg Zinc to prevent hair loss since one month prior to surgery and have had no hair loss at over 6 months now. I only take the 1000 mcg Biotin and 90mg Zinc once daily. Note: your message said you take 1000mg Biotin and I believe, if you read the label, I hope it says mcg not mg. Now, a point on your iron supplement. If you are taking it with the B12 ingredient it is not the way to take B12. The only way to get B12 to work is to put it under your tongue and let it desolve there. Swallowing it won't work for B12. I take a plain OTC 325mg IRON Ferrous Sulfate (65mg elemental). Since Iron cancels out the benefits of Calcium supplements it is recommended you not take Iron either 2 hours before or 2 hours after Calcium. I found that what works for me is to take my Iron, Multivitamin/mineral pill, and Vitamin C the first thing in the morning, before getting dressed. I do take it with my bottled Isopure premixed drink so it is the way I start my day. That frees me up to take my 3 doses of Calcium (500 mg ea) at regular intervals throughout the day (at least 3 hours apart for maximum absorbtion). I am taking this recommended Calcium dose (1500 mg total) because I'm at high risk for Osteoporosis and am 61 and post menopausal. I'm not giving you medical advice, just telling you what is working for me with my Doctor and Nutritionist guiding me. Check with your medical team. If you are taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement it should have enough Folic Acid (400 mcg) for your daily requirements. I did a lot of lurking in the AMOS and Yahoo rooms before my RNY surgery and that was where I learned about Biotin and Zinc to prevent hair loss. The high protein was also recommeded. Hope this helps. Cathy 302/212/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views