Snacking Pitfalls

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/05 9:19 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Boy oh boy am I having a difficult time with snacking! Lately, we've been having dinner earlier in the evening because my daughter and husband are always so hungry by 5ish. But when I have an earlier dinner, I tend to snack during the evening. Despite my awesome food day yesterday, I added 3/4 cup of a low-carb cereal and several peanuts (still not horrible, though!). If I make dinner later, like I usually do, the afternoon is so long, and I snack all day. I have tried using the gym as a diversion, tried reading, tried shopping, but I'm still having a heck of a time. How does everyone else handle their snacking issues? And what snacks are healthy AND actually fill you up? I'm having a hard time finding snacks that do both... Pamela -84
IrishIze
on 2/17/05 11:00 pm - NJ
Pamela - I was finding myself getting into those habits, and it really scared me. What I would suggest is water loading at those times when you feel like snacking. I have learned to do that and it has helped immensely. As far as early or late dinners, why not eat half a portion of your dinner and save the rest for when you want to snack at night? Smaller portions more often. I make quick business at the table - no lingering because then I tend to pick or take more. I eat and get up. My family also understands that on days when I am having cravings or difficulties saying no to foods, I won't be sitting down to eat with them - I star****er loading and wait and eat later in the evening. For snacks, I like Oberto Edge beef snacks, Q-smart bars, and ricotta cheese with a little vanilla and Splenda added. I also do the fried cheese thing - I make it a little tough and it takes a long time to eat. Glenny white cheddar or bbq soy chips alone or with some FF cream cheese help when I need some crunch. Hang in there Pamela. We're at the point now where we have a choice again, and we have to 're-teach' ourselves to eat in a healthy way. You did well when you stayed low carb, why not try that again? Hugs, Nancy -97
MargaretD
on 2/18/05 12:46 am - Nashville, TN
I totally agree abou****er loading. I have been noticing the re-emergence of my desire to snack and I really try to grab the water bottle. Ppl laugh at me when they get in my car b/c there are a million half full water bottles rolling around on the floorboards! When I do snack, I try to stick to string cheese (the cow pals brand b/c it has less sodium) and I keep some unsalted almonds in my desk. Usually about 5-8 almonds will satisfy my snacking urge and get a little extra protein in me. (how much, I have no idea!). I really think "snacking" on water is the best though. Recently, I have had problems with eating enough. Yesterday, everything I ate made me feel terrible and sick to my stomach (er...pouch). I hate those days as much as I hate the ravenous days, b/c I feel guilty about not getting enough calories/protein for the day. Ugh, finding the balance is going to be hard!! But that is why we are here to support one another and offer ideas and encouragement. Thanks for your post. Margaret 238/140/125
scholarmama
on 2/18/05 2:07 am - Hemet, CA
Hey Pamela... I found Q-Smarts by quaker... they are rice cakes with 7 carbs and 14g of protein... but I too drink 84 plus ounces of water a day... and It has kept me from the kitchen cuz I always remember I cant eat if I have drank... so just a thought Loni -150.5
Deejay
on 2/18/05 3:06 am - Sparks, NV
I have trouble with this too. I usually eat a handful of corn nuts (not good snack) but one small handful satisfies me if I need to snack. Sometimes I do popcorn, but not often. it is very hard to not snack, we have dinner around 5ish too, I have 3yr old triplets and when they want to eat dinner, man you gotta feed em! Not only that but dinner is always a drama, playing, not eating, fighting, I'm lucky if I get away from the table in under an hour, many times I have to dump my plate early so I don't keep going. Deejay 257/177/150 -80
Debra O.
on 2/18/05 4:17 am - Chino, CA
Beef Jerky is what I usually grab if I want a snack. I buy about 10 bags amonth from costco. I love it and its all protien!
Marcy B.
on 2/18/05 8:09 am - West Bloomfield, MI
I guess the question is ..is snacking the same as grazing...or when does snacking which is something everyone does, go into that danger zone of grazing...which we all know is the enemy of WLS? I really want my relationship with food to be "normal"...and normal people snack as part of their regular daily routine... So how can we do it, and still maintain our weight losses? Easier said than done. I think first is that we have to stop the food/guilt equation, while still being honest with ourselves when we are grazing vs snacking. I HATE feeling deprived, and luckily since I have had the surgery I don't feel deprived. I enjoy small portions of a variety of things without questioning everything I do all of the time. Perhaps thats why I haven't lost as much weight as I would have liked, but my progress is slow and steady- so I am happy. I am also out of that mentality of " dieting" as THIS is the way I am going to eat for the rest of my life. NO MORE GAMES!! So... Food for thought. Remember the basics?? Spacing out our meals in 3 hr spans of time so we don't get hungry? Making sure we get enough protein in? and making sure we get the fluids in? Its so easy to get sloppy with ourselves. I have a theory that we are not " compulsive eaters, but " impulsive eaters and that most of us got where we were by eating on impulse, what we wanted when we wanted without attention to detail or planning. We can't do the impulsive stuff anymore, or avoid careful planning. I know what my problems are and I do best when I can plan ...strategize about them. ( This head stuff is harder than all of the surgery itself...dontcha think?? Wouldn't it be great if they could have reconfigured our brains as well as our innards?? ) I am definitely a night eater and I have resigned myself to it. The only thing i can do is to plan for the snacks- and measure my portions in advance. Just one peice of beef jerky or one piece of string cheese has never filled me up so sometimes I have more than one. I know that and have to plan, otherwise if I just eat the one piece I am looking for something else. So now, I just take the two pieces of cheese from the get-go and then I am less likely to be foraging for food for just a little something else to give me that comfy full feeling in my stomach. Other things I eat at night for snacks are: s/f Yogurt ( better yet if frozen) if it doesn 't fill you up, eat a peice of string cheese with it. Thats only 170 cal and 11 grams of protein. Other choices - low fat salami wrapped in low fat cheddar cheese a frozen treat- s/f fudgesicle s/ f pudding w/ s/ f cool whip - and a 100 calorie Pack of a cookie or Cracker from Nabisco. ( Thats for when I have a sweet tooth) These are just some of the things I try to do. Also, although eating TOGETHER is nice, sometimes I can't always wait, or I am on a different schedule, so I eat when I need to and then just keep my husband or my daughter company when they are eating. You are doing great Pam- don't keep beating up on yourself! Marcy -83
Debra O.
on 2/18/05 8:15 am - Chino, CA
The difference between snaking and grazing is, snaking is having 1 thing to eat between regular meals, and grazing is snaking constantly throughout the day and evening. ~Debra
IrishIze
on 2/18/05 10:43 pm - NJ
In my mind, snacking is eating a small bit of food that has been planned and thought out. Grazing is that mindless, "I'm bored" kind of grabbing the first thing you see and eating it. It's not really to fill the pouch, it's filling some other hunger.... JMHO. Hugs, Nancy -97
us2bfat C.
on 2/20/05 8:48 pm - selden, NY
ok what i do is i eat pumpkin seeds it satisfys my bordum and my salt craving and i eat them in the shell only davids brand... they have protein and arent that bad for you, and it takes a while to get them from the shell ....... thats what i do and it helps i get comfort from them as well Stacy 232/145/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views