How many protein shakes/bars?

Tanja Y
on 2/10/05 6:22 am - Wahiawa, HI
IF you do them, how many do you average per day? I have one each morning as soon as I wake up with my morning vitamins. I was told to have one after working out, so I have one then too. So that makes two a day.....but I'm going to start working out with a personal trainer in the afternoons several times a week and still do my water aerobics class everynight and I'm wondering if I should add another protein shake to my schedule. 3 a day sounds a bit excessive (not to mention expensive!) to me...but I don't wanna give up my morning one because it seems to help 'boost' me thru my morning. My old dietition said no more then 2 a day, but we have a new one at the hospital and she advocates getting in as many as you need to get your protein over the 100 gram mark sinice I can't seem to do it on food alone no matter how hard I try. Ovbiously I'm confused........lol. ~Tanja -145.5
Deejay
on 2/10/05 6:34 am - Sparks, NV
I don't do either, just protein food and usually get about 85g or more of protein a day, I'm required to get 64. I HATE protein shakes and bars, I just couldn't do them so I had to figure out soemthing else. Deejay 257/179/150 -78 29 til goal!
TJ B.
on 2/10/05 8:35 am - Texarkana, AR
I have a shake in the morning every day for breakfast. Slim fast low carb has 20 grams in it. Than sometimes in the morning I will have a bar of some kind for my snack. I simply can not go all the way from breakfast to lunch without having something. Some days I will need a snack in the evening as well and may have another bar, just depends on my activity. Hope that helps. Tj Brown 320/218/160
Traci K.
on 2/10/05 8:02 pm - Sullivan, MO
I have one protein bar each morning for breakfast. I love EAS Advant Edge, Body for Life and Carb Countdown bars. Those are the best ones I've tried. Don't do shakes. Sometimes, I'll also have a protein bar for lunch or supper, if I'm on the run, or can't tolerate what I fixed the family for supper. I like bars because I can carry one with me and always have something I can eat on hand.
Debra O.
on 2/10/05 9:54 pm - Chino, CA
I've never done protien bars, because I was told by someone that they could halt your weight loss. I do a protien drink maybe twice a week, only if I havent got in enough protien from the food Im eating. Usually I just get all my protien from what I eat. ~Debra
deeno
on 2/10/05 10:27 pm - Kokomo, IN
I don't do the protein supplements---just food and milk. I can't stand the taste of that stuff. I have added SF carnation instant breakfast to milk before, and that's not too bad. On the other hand, my husband loves the stuff, and he says he feels better after drinking his protein drink. My dietician says 60 grams of protein per day. Some days I'm a little over and other's I'm a little under, but for the most part I'm right on the money. Now, my football season is about to start (I play on a women's pro football league--no joke!) I will try to up my protein wherever I can. Water, too, especially on the days I practice. So, even though I exercise regularly now, I don't worry about increasing my protein. But, with football, it's a little more "intense", so I'll be trying to push the protein. Last year for football season I ate a lot of beef jerky. I ate a piece of beef jerky yesterday--28 grams of protein!! Plus I can eat in in my car on the way to practice, and it doesn't need refridgeration. Diana
Janette
on 2/10/05 10:47 pm - Peoria, AZ
Hi Tanya....I drink a whey protein drink EVERY morning after my 2 cups of tea. I use 1.5 scoops (@35gms protein) to 12 ozs of water for chocolate or crystal lite with vanilla. If i have a bad day getting my protein in by foods I will drink a advant edge pre mixed which is 15 gms of protein in the evening. I am very diligent about this and the couple times I missed I felt it. I never have bars as the calories are higher and protein lower typically. Janette RNY 7-13-04 363/223 -140 lbs
GailD
on 2/11/05 2:00 am - Racine, WI
Hi Tanya, I have 2 protein drinks a day -- one for breakfast w/15 gms. protein, and one for lunch w/25 gms. protein. Sometimes I'll have a protein bar, too, sometime during the day. I love my protein drinks (EAS Myoplex Cafe Carmel). They come pre-packaged so all I need to do is add a straw! I look forward to drinking them. (The lady at GNC says I'm nuts -- she thinks they're horrible!!! To each his own, I guess.) Gail D. -83
MargaretD
on 2/11/05 5:03 am - Nashville, TN
I have one protein shake every morning for breakfast. EAS Advant Edge Carb Control (coffee flavored ones). I only have protein bars if I feel I am going to miss a meal. Sometimes I get really busy at work and have no time for lunch and will munch on a protein bar. I stick to the EAS Advant Edge carb control bars b/c they have lower calories and carbs than all the others. Margaret 238/143/125
carbfreecathy
on 2/22/05 2:37 pm - Michigan City, IN
Hi Tanja, You're doing a great job with your weight loss. I'd be lost without the use of protein supplements, either bars or shakes. It is the only way I can get in my proteins. I average about 100 gms a day. The key is that I have to keep the use limited to very low carb or zero carb protein supplements. Many protein bars are marketed that are very high in carbs. Avoid them like the plague. Read labels. Use Fitday and monitor your total carbs, proteins, and calories. I keep my total daily carb intake to below 40 gms. That's the only way I can lose weight, even with the RNY surgery. For me carbs are an appetite stimulant, even now. I really like the Atkins bars because they are low carb and high protein. I like the following Atkins Advantage Bars: Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Mocha Crunch, Chocolate Decadence, Chocolate Peanut Butter. I have listed all their ingredients on my Fitday.com site under the "custom food" section. It keeps me honest Just remember they are not "free". Nothing is. List all foods and you'll know how to use the bars and shakes to their best advantage. Cathy 302/211/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views