Soda, Pop, Cola...

Deejay
on 2/7/05 5:57 am - Sparks, NV
I quit drinking it almost a year before surgery, just cuz I knew it was a downfall for me. I lost 14lbs just from quitting soda, then slowly gained back all but 5lbs of it, then had the surgery, so long story short, no I don't and won't go back to it, just cuz it doesn't appeal to me anymore.
Gwen Kennedy
on 2/7/05 6:39 am - Charles City, IA
My doctor said it was OK to drink diet soda. I do drink Diet Pepsi, it takes me all day to drink one bottle but I don't have any problems from it.
MarinaS
on 2/7/05 11:47 am - Small Town, WA
I was addicted to diet cola before surgery. I have not had any soda since surgery and since it is a downfall for me I hope not to start again. This is my chance to be free from this addiction. I just have enough trouble trying to get in my 64+ oz of water a day. I do miss the taste though. I am not convinced that it would stretch the pouch, but it does leach oxygen and calicum. For those of you who can handle it I do not see a problem with a sip once in awhile.
Traci72
on 2/7/05 12:49 pm - Hastings, MN
I had heard a similar story about soda and asked my surgeon about it around 3-4mos out. (I'm not afraid to say it...I'm addicted to Dr.Pepper!! And despite all the FALSE advertising, Diet Dr. Pepper is NOT like the real thing!!!) He laughed so hard when I asked....I was a bit worried. He said he'd heard other patients make the same claims, but assured me that there is no physical way that it is possible. The reason he tells his patients to stop drinking soda is simply because it's a calorie containing beverage, which they discourage through my program. He said if I really needed the "fix", that diet soda was absolutely fine to drink as they (at least most of them I guess?) are zero calories. If diet soda is ok, but not regular soda, I'd think that in part shoots down the carbonation theory? Doesn't matter to me though, I've tried many diet sodas and can not get past the nasty taste. Aspartame in particular makes me sick to my stomach, so that rules out most diet drinks in general. Traci 248/150/130
Bunny54
on 2/10/05 4:43 am - Anaheim, CA
Hi Traci, Diet Rite Cola is made with Splenda!. its pretty good.. Leah F.
Janette
on 2/7/05 9:13 pm - Peoria, AZ
Hi Nancy...preop diet pepsi was the one thing I felt was going to be the hardest of anything to give up. I drank it all day long. I started my day with 2 cups of hot tea followed by a large coffee from convenience store on the way to work. When I got to work I started on the 32 oz diet pepsi I also bought and than drank it all day from the bottles I kept at my desk. So yes I was a total diet pepsi and caffeine junkie. I still drink at least 2 cups of tea aday and a starbucks sf vanilla latte with soy milk 4-5 times a week but now I drink water, flavored water and protein drinks. I tried diet pepsi the day before thanksgiving at my daughters house @ 2 ozs and proceeded to upchuck it. Needless to say I have not tried it since!!!!!!! Janette RNY 7-13-04 363/225 -138lbs
Tara118
on 2/7/05 10:13 pm - Trenton, OH
**Peeking behind the corner** I have to admit I do drink Diet Coke. I drink one with caffiene in the morning then usually one caffiene free one in the evening. I am so addicted and I LOVE the taste. I was real good and didn't drink any for several months but about a month and a half ago I started again. I heard on the radio they were going to start making diet coke with Splenda. I don't know if that will be the same effect but some people who like regular sodas might like it. Now I'm feeling guilty....I'll go get me some water. Tara 305/198/170 -107
threegetts
on 2/8/05 1:26 am - Rio Rancho, NM
Hi Nancy, I gave up soda about three years ago just because I couldn't stand all the gas it gave me. I can honestly say I don't miss it at all now. I never could stand the diet soda, something about the false sweetners makes me gag! The only drink i usually have is plain old water but now that I've been having it for so long, I crave it!! I'm not sure about the truth behind soda stretching the pouch or not .... it seems a bit unlikely that something that passes through so quickly would do that but who knows?! Cindy
MargaretD
on 2/8/05 3:11 am - Nashville, TN
hey nancy- i drink diet sodas on occasion. my doc said that as long as i am getting in my water everyday and the fizz was causing discomfort that i could have them. I have to admit that i am now slightly addicted to sugarfree red bull! it has less fizz than a soda but a lot more caffeine at half the volume. i drink it rather than alcohol when i go out to bars with my friends!! silly, huh!! margaret 238/142/125
Sherri_B
on 2/8/05 3:18 am - washington, MO
NO SODA HERE !!! I order a ice water with lemon when i go out to dinner or a margaritta . i have had a sip of a soda a couple times soda is at my house all the time . it just doesnt intrest me anymore . or bother me not to have it . thin feels much better . but i know several who do drink soda and are fine and maintaining weight .
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views