Protein Ponderings

Traci K.
on 2/1/05 9:32 am - Sullivan, MO
Hi all, I was reading some info today and it got me to thinking. I know that we only absorb about 50% of what we take in food-wise (thus the malabsorptive part of RNY). A normal, NON-gastric bypass patient supposedly needs 50-65 grams of protein per day. If we can not absorb all of our protein needs just from food, and even then only 50% of what we take in, then shouldn't we be logging 100 or more grams of protein per day, to actually get a net amount absorbed of 50+? I'm only logging, on average, 64 grams. On the surface, that looks great, but I'm not absorbing all that 64 grams - I know I'm not. So in reality I should be taking in 100 to 150, to be getting my 50-75 grams per day of usable protein. Anyone else thought of that, or had their doc or nutritionist specifically explain it to them like that? Also, if the above is true, and we can not get all the protein that we, as post-ops, need just from food, then we should be drinking 3 or more protein shakes a day for the rest of our lives! I usually don't drink any per day!!! I do eat one or two protein bars every day to get in the protein that I do log, but that's obviously not enough. I'm still losing quite a bit of hair, and I can tell that I'm losing muscle mass, not just fat. So I'm going to have to get more diligent about drinking protein shakes. Anyone else thought about all this protein amount? I'm anxious to get my 6 month labs back to see what they are showing. I should have those results definitely by the end of this week, if not sooner. Traci
T R.
on 2/1/05 2:28 pm
Makes sense. I really hadn't thought of that. Thanks for bringing it up. I am on the phone tomorrow asking about this. Tami 275/192/140
Traci K.
on 2/1/05 11:55 pm - Sullivan, MO
To add more confusion to the mix: I spoke with my surgeon's office about this issue and they said no: you do not take in 100 grams to net 50 grams. They said logging 50 grams of protein is enough. Anyone ask their surgeon about this? I'd be interested to hear the different responses.
Leslie H.
on 2/5/05 2:14 am - Round Rock, TX
Hi, Traci. I had surgery in early August (8/3/05), so I occasionally peek in on the July board since I feel like I'm a "tweener"--between August and July. I just had my 6-month followup visit with my surgeon a couple of days ago, and he said my protein levels are great. A little high, even. I don't supplement with shakes or anything else. I get all my protein from food, and I think I average just barely above 50 per day (surgeon says 50-60+). He does not advocate protein shakes because he says they move through the pouch too quickly, allowing the patient to eat again relatively soon. Therefore, in his opinion, they just end up being extra calories. Suits me since I can't stand the things and they cost a blooming fortune. ---- Leslie 5'3" 282/197/135
Leslie H.
on 2/5/05 2:28 am - Round Rock, TX
Oops, I put the wrong surgery date. I had surgery 8/3/04, not 8/3/05. That would be a neat trick. ---- Leslie
Traci72
on 2/7/05 12:34 am - Hastings, MN
Like Leslie's, my surgeon and all in the obesity program I'm in, do NOT recommend protein shakes or protein powders for the same reason. I was going to try to start using protein powders because I just can't get my protein in like I "should" and talked to my surgeon when I had gone in at 4mos. He said that due to the surgery and the way liquids go through, you are NOT getting the nutritional value that you should, but you ARE getting all the calories. In our program, you are required to cut out all calorie containing liquids (anything w/more than 12-15 calories) so protein shakes are out. Also as Leslie states, drinking the shakes is not going to satisfy your hunger at all. It's going to fly right through that pouch giving you the calories, only some nutrients, and shortly after you might have the munchies. I know that I'm getting far less in protein than what everyone else here states they are or are supposed to be getting in, but apparently I'm getting enough in to support my body. I would think that if your Dr's office/you Dr. thinks your doing fine, your on the right track and wouldn't do more. Too much of any nutrient is not good. Traci 248/150/130
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views