To the calorie counters out there...

Jessica D.
on 1/29/05 2:22 am - Two Harbors, MN
Hello July babies, For those of you that count your calories, can you tell me on average about how many calories you eat a day? I never eat more than 700 calories, and I'm trying to fiqure out if my sudden slow loss is due to the 6month mark slowdown or because I don't eat enough calories? What's your take on this? TIA Jessica 276/177/133
IrishIze
on 1/29/05 2:34 am - NJ
Hi Jessica - first of all, I want to say that you're looking GREAT!! I wasn't eating over about 550 for the first six months, and in month six, I noticed a dramatic slow down in loss. I upped my calories to about 700 and I started losing again. Now, I'm noticing another slowdown and I'm wondering the same thing - maybe I'm not getting enough calories - and then I think, maybe I'm getting too many??? I DON'T KNOW!! To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of afraid to eat over 700 - all I can think of is that I'll start putting the pounds back on. Anyone else feel this way? Hugs, Nancy -93
jcordell
on 1/29/05 4:54 am - TX
Jessica, first of all let me say you look awesome! WOW! Now, as for the calorie counting, I can't be of much help, because I haven't counted calories ever, just protein and carbs. Good luck, though, and I know you will start losing again! Keep smiling and keep the faith! Jeff -105 and 45 to goal!
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/05 10:40 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Wow, look at the change in you! You look amazing! To answer your calorie question...my dietician said that 1200 calories is considered the "safe" minimum number of calories for most dieters, because they run into starvation mode. She said that WLS patients finally reach starvation mode around 6 months or so. She also said anything below 800 calories was considered a "low-calorie" diet. However, she noted that most WLS patients would be hard pressed to take in 1200, so she said 800 to 1000 is just about right. Now, another person who has the same dietician I do (different surgeon, though) was told to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Apparently not even the dieticians and surgeons can make up their minds. My advice is to try and eat more and see what happens. If that doesn't work, eat less. If THAT doesn't work, exercise more. Try less carbs, more carbs. Do ANYTHNG different and see how that works. If nothing happens, do something else different. It's the only way to find out what will work for YOU. Pamela -81
bobby s
on 1/30/05 4:59 am - Central, FL
First of all, let me start by saying HOLY MOLY!!!! You look FANTASTIC!!! Are you married? Do you dig fat guys? Hmmm. I'm an aquarius with a full time job... I'm not an expert by no means, but I do know that you can put your body into "starvation mode" if you do not eat enough. The problem with this is that your metabolism shuts down and your body tries to hoard food. This can really impact maintaining weight or losing it over time. I've always been told to "shake it up" by taking a day and upping your calorie intake. You may want to contact your surgeon or PCP to see what they say. 700 sounds awefully few.
Jessica D.
on 1/31/05 1:10 am - Two Harbors, MN
Thank you all for your awesome advice!!! And the compliments, it's funny that picture was taken about 50lbs ago... I took your advice and even against my greatest fears of over doing it, I up'd my calories and low and behold lost that last lb standing between me and the Century Club!! Thank you all again... Jessica 276/176/132 P.S. Bobby, sadly I am married, although not happly. My dh confessed after I began losing weight that he was attracted to fat chicks and he isn't attracted to me anymore. I think I was one of those who settled. FYI size doesn't matter to me, I'm all about honest, sincere, loving men... Thanks, I'll let you know when I'm single.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views