6 month check-up

Tanja Y
on 1/26/05 4:10 pm - Wahiawa, HI
Today was my 6 month check-up (only a few days late) and I didn't get to see my surgeon. Instead I got some resident who seemed not to care, all he did was tell me I needed lab work and check to see if I had developed a hernia yet. I had to remind him I had labs drawn LAST WEEK per docs orders. He was like oh, maybe I should check on those. When he asked me if I thought I had a hernia I told him the only one I've ever had had been repaired during my WLS. He had to double check my chart, because according to him I'd never had a hernia. And to top it off he said I wasn't loosing enough, because he thought my chart said I started out at 550! I was like dude, you better reglance at my chart for a second and figure out what the heck you're talking about! So after he re-looked at my charts he told me my bloodwork was fine, just a tad low on iron~but I was low on that before surgery. Gave me a scrip for iron which is no biggie. When I asked him if I was loosing weight on Dr. E's schedule he had planned for me he just shrugged his shoulders and told me I was doing about average. SO not what I wanted to hear! But then I guess I'm spoiled, everytime I see Dr. E he encourages me and tells me how I'm doing an awesome job. So I came home and figured out what my average weight loss was and it's 5.38 pounds per week. I thought it sounded pretty good but what do I know....this little resident didn't seem very impressed. But I'm happy with it and the nurse who weighed me was very excited~somehow I've had her each time I've gone and she always chats me up and tells me how good I look~just what I need to hear.......LOL. ~Tanja -142 pounds
Tara118
on 1/26/05 9:08 pm - Trenton, OH
Tanya, You are doing amazing!! I am so sorry the intern acted clueless!! That stinks!! I am so proud of you and you ahve obviously worked very hard. Keep up the GREAT work!!! Tara 305/200/170 -105
Tanja Y
on 1/27/05 12:17 am - Wahiawa, HI
Thanks! You're right, he was totally clueless. I HATE HATE HATE going to see a doctor who doesn't even take the time to look at the chart first. I don't know who or what he was thinking about, but it ovbiously wasn't me! ~Tanja -142
Traci K.
on 1/26/05 9:42 pm - Sullivan, MO
You are doing awesome!!! 142 pounds in 6 months is nothing short of amazing!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/05 11:00 pm - Somewhere Else
Hiyas Tanja! You're doing amazing!!! And over 5 pounds a week, average loss, who could ask for more???? I would let the surgeon know about the flippant attitude of that intern...if he is like that, in the least he should not be working with WLS patients at all. We are a special crew, and without encouragement (and in that case, some intelligence) we're at a loss when we go for our checkups. We are looking for answers, not questions! I personally think you're doing fabulously! Plus you have a great outlook! That's so important! You keep it up! Be proud of your successes! hugssssss Linda 268/166.5
deeno
on 1/27/05 12:12 am - Kokomo, IN
Hey Tanja---GREAT WORK!! LMAO at your intern--just think--he's getting PAID for being an idiot. Ugh. Glad to hear you are healthy and fine. You've lost twice as much as I have! WAY TO GO!! Diana
IrishIze
on 1/27/05 1:43 am - NJ
Tanja - 142 lbs. down - I don't care what weight you started off with - that's an incredible amount to lose in 6 months. That intern dude had better get himself a clue and a bedside manner!! But, as other's have said - you are doing AWESOME - and don't let that jerk bother you! You're averaging 5 lbs. per week - boy would I love to have a -5 lbs. week again. Good on ya!! Congratulations on your weight loss, and I'm glad your labs were good!! Hugs, Nancy -92
Sue G.
on 1/28/05 1:18 pm - Aurora, NE
Talk about clueless drs. I went with my daughter to have her drain removed and her staples taken out. (We both had the same surgeon) He was chatting away and said "You two are not the first mother/daughter I have done WLS on, but you (he looked at me) are the slowest lower I've ever had " ... needless to say I cried myself to sleep that night! All I could think of is he may know how to do surgery but he sure doesn't know much about working with Obese people after the surgery. That comment could send some people back into there old eating habits!! What do you all think of that ?? ... Sue (Guess there are more depressing things than this board!)
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views