pls. read, new insight on slow losers!!!

Vivi *.
on 1/24/05 2:37 am - clermont, FL
Guys, these words aren't mine, I "stole" this post from the main board. I thought it was great, and a lot of us could use some insight on the whole "slow loser" thing. Let's stop feeling sorry for ourselves and celebrate our accomplishments!!! Thank you, Ann, for posting it!! Vivi Here it goes: "First, I hate the term "slow loser". What really does that mean? And to what are you comparing it. The fact that you've had WLS means you were ready to take charge of your life and eating. It doesn't mean you were given a guarantee about how fast you'd lose all that excess weight or even that you'd lose all that you'd like to. What it gave you was a unique tool that helps you take control. Now back to slow loser. If you lost 20 pounds in Month 1 and 15 in the next 3, you'd lose 65 pounds in 4 months. Even if it slowed down then to -10 each month for the rest of the year, you'd have lost a gigantic 125#. Truly, when's the last time you did that? It's nothing to sneeze at. If you lost 15 in the first month and just 10- in the next 3,you'd lose 45 in 4 months. You probably haven't done that either. If you continued losing just 10 pounds a month, by the end of one year you'd have lost a whopping 105#. Even if you have more than that to lose, you will have made a big dent in the weight loss needed. This isn't anything to sneeze at either. This is not a race to see who loses the most the fastest. This is a lifetime commitment in which you are trying to manage your weight. Yes, lose some --a lot, hopefully--but as significantly, be able to maintain that loss for a lifetime. I know it's frustrating to read that someone else is losing a pound a day when you would love to, but if it's not happening, it doesn't mean you're slow or a failure. It only means, especially if you are "sticking to the plan" that your body is handling this differently. Please, do yourself a favor and keep your eyes on the long range goals. Remember that this is YOUR personal journey and it will be different than the next person's just as we have always been different from one another all along. I wish you all a safe, happy, successful lifelong journey. Ann -140, stable for 12 months. "
Marcy B.
on 1/24/05 4:54 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Thanks for sharing the post. She's right- its not a race, or a contest- its a new way of life. Our weight loss will be what it is, and we need to just enjoy every pound of it. I agree- I don't know when the last time was I lost almost 80lbs in 6 months. Left to my own devices without surgery- I probably would have gained. Marcy- 77
bobby s
on 1/24/05 3:08 pm - Central, FL
I don't have K-man's original post...but here's the jist of it.... If you started off needing to lose 100 pounds and lost 10 the first month, that was 10% of your excess weight in one month. If the weight loss "slowed" to 9 pounds the next month, that is still 10% of your excess weight loss in one month. If at 6 months, you have only lost 45 pounds, that is still 10% each and every month!!! (10 the 1st month, 9 the next, 8, 7, 6, 5). If you lose only 5 pounds this month, that is STILL 10% this month!!! (100 less 45 leaves 55. 5 pounds is still nearly 10%) Anyway, the point is not the total number. Sure, someone that needs to lose more WILL lose more in the beginning. But chances are they are only losing weight for THEIR body as fast as you are yours.
Cathy I.
on 1/24/05 9:08 pm - Shelby Township, MI
I consider myself a "slow loser". Always have been. We must not forget the inches. In addition to walking everyday, I added a workout 3 days a week. In the last month I only lost 2 lbs. but 18.5 inches. I still can't believe it, but the mirror and the tape measure don't lie. Next month I'll be happy with another 18 inch loss. Heck, after WLS, next month I will just be happy! Everything is better since surgery. Cathy I.
deeno
on 1/24/05 11:19 pm - Kokomo, IN
SLOW LOSER ALERT!! Hi all! Before I had my surgery, I was a "no loser". My doc told me that I would be a slower loser, even with the surgery, especially when compared with others. I have lost 70 pounds in 6 1/2 months (yea for me!!). Losing the weight slowly/gradually is not a bad thing. Shoot, I lost a total of five pounds from 10/28 to 12/28--freaked me out a little being that is was so soon after surgery that my weight loss slowed to that, but I was still losing. I dieted for months with no weight loss prior to WLS. So, although I wasn't thrilled with my big 5 pounds in 2 months, I was happy that there was a loss. Hell, I was happy there was no gain! As far as referring to myself as a "slow loser", well, I'm OK with that. The key is that I'm a loser (in a good way, of course *wink*). Some of us will have shorter journey's than others to get to our desired "goal". but our lifestyle journey is all the same. Eat right, exercise, drink your water, take your vitamins. It's that easy. WLS made it achievable for me and my husband. Lovin' life--thanks for posting this. Diana
Gina F
on 1/25/05 3:53 am - Belton, TX
Hey, Vivi, Thanks so much for posting this. It is an encouragement. I've felt up and down and in between about this "slow loser" business. I am currently quite excited because I'm finally under 200 pounds. First time since high school! My doc seems to think I'm doing fine and just wants me to develop a lifestyle of activity. That means walking 30 minutes a day and doing some strength training 2-3 days a week. I could not have done that at 267 pounds. It hurt too much. I'm more than happy to do it now because it feels downright good! It's so exciting to be able to get out there and not be a couch potato. Slow losin' and proud, LOL, Gina F.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views