Trying something new...RECIPES needed, please

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/05 10:33 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Ok, since I've been stalled, which has me in a bit of a funk, I've decided to take drastic measures to get this scale moving. For the record, I had a HORRIBLE food weekend. I think I ate more yesterday than I've eaten in a typical weekend. This week, the next SEVEN DAYS (boy, that sounds like such a long time!), I am going to eat protein and only protein. If the protein has carbs in it, like milk or cheese, no problem. But no bread, no pasta or rice, no starchy vegetables or fruit. I'm going to pick up some protein shakes to help get me by, but otherwise it's meat and cheese for me. With that said... Anyone have any great low-carb recipes that don't use disgusting vegetables (like cauliflower, for example)? I'm a pretty picky eater, but I like things to be interesting and have no idea what I can do to dress up chicken or beef without having the advantage of side dishes. Any help would be great! Pamela stuck at 78 down, but not for long!
deeno
on 1/23/05 10:52 pm - Kokomo, IN
Try this one: Take a raw chicken breast and "butterfly" it--cut it in half to open it up and make it thin. You can even pound it with a meat tenderizer hammer to make it flatter. Spread some cream cheese on it (I like the stuff with chives, but you can use any kind that would go with chicken). Roll it up. Wrap a piece of turkey bacon around it, stick a couple of toothpicks in it, and bake it in the oven. I'm tellin' ya--it's good stuff. If you take a pack of boneless chicken breasts, you'll fill up a lasagna pan with them. Spay some pam in the pan, bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, or until done. You can even sneak some spinach in with the cream cheese if you want a little more iron in your diet. You won't miss the side dish with this meal. Diana **good luck, Pamela--this is your week!
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/05 2:45 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I think I'm going to try your recipe tonight. Well, without the bacon, as I don't have any. But I do have cream cheese, so this sounds great. Thanks! Pamela
Debra O.
on 1/23/05 11:53 pm - Chino, CA
We went away for the weekend to the ocean for our 10th anniversary. I actually lost weight while we were gone. I did really good food wise. I found Shrimp ****tails...yummy. Whenn we got home last night, I went right to the store to but some shrimp. It goes down easy, and its pure protien. Try it. ~Deb
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/05 6:08 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I've never had shrimp. In fact, I've never eaten seafood except for one fish stick that my mom tricked me into eating. She said it was a chicken nugget. But the other day, I tried broccoli (for the first time since I was a kid. It turns out I still don't like it, but it was edible and I didn't gag. So maybe I'll have to try shrimp. My husband loves it, anyway. Pamela 352/274/200 "content goal"
Debra O.
on 1/24/05 6:16 am - Chino, CA
OMG...I wouldnt be able to get all my food in for the day if it wasnt for seafood. I had grilled catfish for lunch today..Its so tender and just slides right down my pouchie, not like evil chicken which hurts me. The shrimp ****tails are wonderful though. You reall should try them. just get a little ****tail sauce to dip them in and yummy!!!! ~Debra
IrishIze
on 1/24/05 1:05 am - NJ
Pamela, I'm so glad to see you coming out and fighting!! I was worried about you last week, you seemed so down. I'm sure if you make those changes the weight will just drop right off!! I've posted about this before, but it has really been a help when I want something sweet. I take about 4 tablespoons of FF ricotta cheese and add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and a packet or so of Splenda. Mix it all up and it's a delicious pudding. If you add some FF cream cheese it tastes like the inside of a cheesecake!! YUM, and only 49 calories, 2 carbs, and 10 grams of protein (without the cream cheese). I also take FF shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese (or any kind of cheese you like) and put 1/4 cup in a small frying pan and let it coo****il it's crispy on one side, then flip in and cook the other side until crispy. Let it cool and it's delicious and has only 45 calories, 2 carbs and 9 grams of protein - what a great snack! You could probably add some sour cream and salsa too. It's kind of chewy, so it takes some time to eat and satisfies when I just feel like I have to be nibbling! I have also found lean ground turkey and Heinz Sloppy Joe sauce. For 3 oz of the cooked turkey and 1/4 cup of the sauce, it's 160 cal, 1 carb, and 16.5 grams of protein. I eat that for dinner without bread and it really fills me up and satisfies me. As you can tell, I'm not a cook by ANY stretch of the imagination, but these are a couple of little tricks that I use when I get cravings for sweets and carbs. I'm rooting for you and I can't wait to see your first post telling us how the weight is just melting off!! You go girl!!! Hugs, Nancy -92
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/05 2:48 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Nancy, I'm definitely going to try your snack ideas! I don't have any ricotta cheese, but I wonder if I could just use cream cheese instead of combining the two. Also, the crispy cheese sounds good, maybe I could have that as a side dish to the chicken I'm making from above. I'm sure my daughter would love it, too! Thanks for the ideas! Pamela
Vivi *.
on 1/24/05 2:49 am - clermont, FL
My wok is my best friends! I add 1 tbsp of peanut oil (olive/vegetable oil will burn in the wok!) 1/2 tbsp of pured ginger, and saute chopped up garlic, onios, green pepers, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and steak sliced thin and seasoned w/ pepper and sea salt (I buy filet mignon.) When it is meadium rare I remove it from the wok, add chopped brocolli and those really skinny yellow/green beens (can't remember the name) and saute them till they are hot and cryspy, add the steak back to the wok for another minute and serve! Best dish I make! You can sub the steak for chicken, lamb or shirmp. Pork gets a bit tough! BTW, Once you are a picky eater, you can sub the veggies listed for the ones you enojy! Or you can have jus tth eprotein w/ the green pepers and make it look more festive by using all collors of pepers you can find. Good eats!! Vivi
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/05 5:13 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
That sounds good, too. I love fillet mignon, and I figured I'd have to wait until grilling season (can't wait!) to have some. I never really thought about cooking it indoors. I don't have a wok, but I have a large saute pan. I guess that would work, right? I know the wok has a special shape, but I'm sure a regular pan would do. I love peppers and onions and I have a stir-fry package in the freezer that has some asian veggies in it (snow peas, etc). I'll have to make this on Friday, when my husband can be home to try it. But thanks for the meal...sounds great! Pamela gonna be dropping some pounds soon!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views