Protein, Calories, Fat & Carbs - OH MY!

Traci K.
on 1/11/05 7:14 am - Sullivan, MO
Okay, obviously we need to get protein in first. My surgeon actually said my goal was 50 grams. I've come to believe that more than 50 grams is probably better overall; which leads me to my question: How much protein does your surgeon recommend? How do you get in more protein, without a lot more calories, fat and carbs? I know about protein powders and drinks. I used to be able to tolerate a tasteless, odorless protein powder in Carb Countdown milk - but for some reason that all changed and now I gag on it. Not good! I don't tolerate Splenda and artificial sweeteners well at all, so avoid those, which means using Crystal Light with protein powder doesn't work so well. And most other protein powders I've tried taste awful or make a weird texture in the liquid. So I've found some protein bars that are very good, net carbs only around 2-3 grams. Not bad. But higher in calories (200-260 per bar). I could easily get in a 2nd bar each day (I have one every morning for breakfast); but then my calories gets up over 1000 per day. Is this too many? And what about fat? I eat lean cuts of meat, venison, chicken and fish; but I also eat nuts - which is one of the few things I can reliably eat without getting sick, to get in protein and give me something to crunch but they're higher in fat. Perhaps they are the 'good' fats, but still! I'm not getting sick on them, but I'm concerned that I'm getting too much fat in daily. KWIM? My surgeon didn't say anything about amount of calories, carbs or fat - just get in 50 grams of protein and drink my water. I go for my 6 month post-op visit in a couple weeks, of course I'll ask him all this then, but I'm curious as to what your surgeons are telling you. It seems all surgeons are different, even with the same procedure. I'm using the PC version of FitDay and here's what it's saying is my average daily intake: Calories: 903 Fat: 39 - saturated: 12 - polyunsaturated: 2.89 - monounsaturated: 7.26 Carbs: 44 - Dietary Fiber: 8 - Carbs Fiber: 36 (I have no clue what these different fibers mean) Protein: 73 Okay wise-ones, how well am I really doing with my food? Traci
emmalousmom
on 1/11/05 12:07 pm - Wawa, Canada
Traci, if that is your average day, then you are doing great, your carbs are only36, very low, eventually you can go up to 100 per day, usually at a year out. Protein is good, my doctor recommended 70-80g , for the calories now that we are 6 months out, move up to 800-1000 per day, and your fat, which i don't count, is low, it is good, I usually take in more fat, but don't look at that, i look at cals, and protein and keep the carbs to around 50 now. and i have my nuts everyday too, they are good for you just have it once a day and get to know how much you are eating of them. And yes they are good fats, everyone should have a serving of nuts a day. Also, very important in weight loss is your calcium intake, studies show that taking a diet ri*****alcium can make you lose even more weight, so i make sure i take in yogurt, cheese, cal supplement and my protein drink. I still do one optimum nutrition protein drink a day. Louise 255/162/150
Debra O.
on 1/11/05 1:54 pm - Chino, CA
Traci, i eat alot of beef jerky. I was maling my own because I couldnt stand the store baought kind, but I found a brand I really like. Costco sells it, and it comes in about 5 different flavours. I go to Costco once a month and spend $40 -50 just on beef jerky alone. But I munch on it all day long. It is all protien and very low fat and carbs. Try it. ~Debra
Traci K.
on 1/11/05 6:25 pm - Sullivan, MO
Thanks ladies! I do take my vitamins daily - whi*****ludes a multi-vitamin, biotin and calcium citrate. I'm menopausal, so was taking extra calcium before my surgery too. I tried some jerky, but am having some dental problems that I'm having worked on. So once I'm done with that, I could chew something as tough as jerky once again. Well I guess I will stop worrying that I'm not doing well and keep doing what I'm doing!
IrishIze
on 1/12/05 1:31 am - NJ
Traci - how about trying out GNC's Liquid Protein? 3 tablespoons = 18g protein, 90 calories and 5 carbs. I know you say you can't drink protein drinks but try one more. I drink 4 oz Carb Countdown FF milk and add 1/2 scoop of Isopure 0 Carb protein powder (comes in vanilla, chocolate or banana pineapple). That gives me 88 calories, 1 carb and 19 protein - and it's only 4 oz....it shouldn't be too hard to get that down (although personally I think it's delicious). Otherwise, I think you're doing GREAT!!! Hugs, Nancy -88
Traci K.
on 1/12/05 2:35 am - Sullivan, MO
Thanks Nancy! I did go buy some regular Carb Countdown milk yesterday and I've been drinking that. It's doing better than the chocolate version was before. I may get the liquid protein from GNC too. 3 Tablespoons isn't that much and I may be able to tolerate that too. I have some other protein samples here, I may try some of those in some CC milk and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestions. Traci
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views