WLS, Infertility and Birth Control

Tracey L.
on 1/11/05 2:43 am - Concord, CA
I've been infertile for years. In 9 years of marriage/dating, it never happened. I had a pregnancy many years ago, but miscarried in the fifth month from an auto accident, so I know it's feasible. The doctors always attributed the infertility to obesity - Now that the weight is coming off, they stressed to me that estrogen levels become instable making fertility a reality. My OB/GYN put me on the pill in Sept. however last weekend I was rereading a WLS book that oral birth control are ineffective while going through rapid weight loss. I was agast. As much as I'd like to be a Mom, I'm only half way through the rapid weight loss and recently divorced, it wouldn't be safe or wise. So back to the where I started....and the "old school" barrier methods. I'm not a candidate for depro-vera injections/patches. Kinda of ironic that as I'm starting to "get my groove", feeling sexy and enjoying my body with my boyfriend....I'm back to the birth control dilemma. I'm curious about what other women are doing, if ya'all don't mind my inquiring. Healthy Blessings ~ Tracey in SF 359/292/ One day at a time
joolee
on 1/11/05 6:00 am - Mira Loma, CA
Hi Tracy, I'm in the same boat as you are in with regards to getting my "groove" back and feeling sexy and comfortable with my body. Now that I'm back in the dating scene and focused on one particular beau, I know that sex is something that is inevitable. GEEZ, lets be honest, I can't wait!! Ok, now really though, I know I have to be very careful about not getting pregnant because I'm only 6 months out and still have about 70 pounds to go. I definitely don't want to sabotage my wieght loss. Well, this morning I spoke with my primary care physican and surgeron regarding birth control and they say that the best method for me right now is the pill along with condoms. My biggest concern with the pill is if it will cause wieght gain and if I would be able to absorb it after gastric bypass. They said yes, I could absorb it and the most I'd probably gain is 5 pounds but every person is different. I said I'd be willing to try it for about 3 months to see what happens. If is see some weight gain beyond 5 pounds, I'm cutting it off. Hopefully by then I'd loose another 20 pounds and then I'd be a good candidate for the patch. Well, good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. Joolee
Deejay
on 1/11/05 8:15 am - Sparks, NV
WARNING: FEMALE TALK BELOW.... I use the Nuvaring. Its inserted into the vagina and left for 3 weeks, you take it out for one week to have your period and then do another. It has the same effectiveness as the pill, but since its absorbed "at the source" its much less hormones needed, so its better for you. I have severe pcos which causes me infertility, weight gain, irregular periods etc and never have a regular period without the pill or hormone b/c. The nuvaring keeps me completely regular. I absolutely love it and will never use anything else. I can't feel it, nor can dh during sex. Its just a thin plastic ring similar to a little girl's bracelet size and its flexible, you bend it in half and insert like a tampon and it opens back up inside and stays in. I highly recommend it. Deejay 257/185/150 -72
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views