This is depressing

Tracey L.
on 12/27/04 5:18 am - Concord, CA
I've posted before about my slow progression and just wonder if there are others like me lurking out there. I'm happy for those of you doing so well, but there has to be others like me that are depressed with their lack of progression. We are the people that truly need the support and quite frankly...I can't relate to your size 10's or even 16's for that matter. This seems to of became a bragging board for progress and not the supportive environment that would be inclusive to everyone. Am I the only one that feels this way? Anyone out there that is struggling send me an email and maybe we can create our own chat group through yahoo or something? My email address is [email protected]. Tracey Lap RNY 07/30/04 359/297
emmalousmom
on 12/27/04 5:29 am - Wawa, Canada
Maybe you need to tell us a little of what you are doing, are you getting your 80grams of protein in first, are you staying away from the carbs, are you exercising, we can't help if you don't ask for it. I don't think it is fair to rain on the parade of someone who is doing great and losing great, that is just not fair. I am one of those size 10's now and do feel great and I want to shout it from the rooftops, just like the other people. But I also would feel honoured to tell you how i do it, if you asked, and if you are doing everything by the book, then you are a slow loser and have to be happy with what you have accomplished. I'm sorry if you take this the wrong way, but I don't mean it that way, I would like to help and support you, if you want. Louise
Kathy M.
on 12/27/04 6:05 am - rockaway, ny
Yes, I'm sure there are others of us lurking in the same boat. It is depressing. I don't post very often because most posts here are brags and I don't feel much like doing so. I was hoping to hit the 100 lbs mark by 1/1, but it'll probably be more like 70. This is a tough time of year for so many reasons, but I'm seeing folks I haven't seen for a while and I feel they expected to see less of me. I don't weigh myself, except at the doctor's, so I won't know for a few weeks what my real loss number is. People have asked me and when I say I really don't know, I don't think they believe me. On 1/1 I'll put the batteries back in my scale. I know part of my problem is excercise. I haven't been able to do enough for a variety of reasons (sick/hospitalized child, weather, torn knee ligaments). Unfortunately even when you know what's wrong you can still feel bad about your progress. We have to look for the positives. I've gone down several bra sizes, can see the veins in my hand and my ankles are starting to take shape. I have a lot more endurance in shopping and house work.
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/04 6:29 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Tracey, I know how you feel! My weight loss has also been slower than the average person. I had surgery nearly a month before you, and I am down 74lbs, so we're pretty much losing at the same pace. I have my good weeks, and I have my bad weeks. Sometimes I am pleased with my progress, sometimes I am depressed by it. As long as you are doing the things that you are supposed to be doing, you WILL lose, even if it's slow. There are some things you can do to help move your weight loss along, but some of us are genetically programmed to store fat. I have definitely gotten lazy in my eating habits, and I couldn't even begin to tell you how much protein I get in each day. Liquids? What liquids? Although I am a slow loser, I have not been doing the things I need to in order to get my weight loss going. Why don't you join Nancy and me in our quest to recommit to the WLS guidelines? We can all help each other get through this. Pamela 352/278/272 by 1/6
Tracey L.
on 12/27/04 8:14 am - Concord, CA
Hi Pam, I would love to have a commitment group comprised of others that are struggling with slow progress. I think that's what I need. I've often wanted to have a WLS buddy system, someone to share with and help with the obstacles. Maybe we can set something up? That would be awesome!!!!! Tracey Love 359-292-and one day at a time...
Lalocaweta
on 12/27/04 7:25 am - Spicewood, TX
Tracey: All I can say is that I hope my posts don't sound like bragging. To be honest - I still regret - at least once a day - having this surgery. And I would NEVER want to come off as one who is bragging about the weight they have lost. If there is anything I can do to help support you - please let me know. Anne
Tracey L.
on 12/27/04 8:09 am - Concord, CA
My original post was NOT meant as a put down to those of you doing so well, your progress is terrific and should be celebrated. However, there is a significant group of others that are struggling and truly need support. My own frustration lead me to post to reach out to others that are sharing a similar experience to my own, so that I can find some type of support. Writing a post to report weekly weight loss and posting what size I'm sporting is not the kind of support that I need, and I believe, there is a significant group of others that feel the same way. Some of us are truly struggling, inspite of eating right and doing what we should. Those are the people that I want to reach out to, in hopes of helping pull one another up. I don't believe my expectations are unrealistic going into this surgery at 359 lbs I had been told to expect an 80 to 100 lb weight loss by month 6, and here I am at only 62 lbs. I do not negate the success I've enjoyed, however it is incredibly frustrating.
Marcy B.
on 12/27/04 8:12 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Tracey: You are by no means alone, and while I don't deny anyone else their bragging rights, I can understand your frustration. I started this weight loss journey at 367- and at the date of my surgery in July I was 349. I am now ( as of two weeks ago) 302. That means technically only a 47 lb weight loss since the surgery, but a total of 65lbs in 6 months. Its between 8-10lbs per month- some months more some months less. I truly understand the frustration especially when we have so much weight to lose. IT feels like it will take forever for the weight to come off. Logically we have to be able to have more patience, be more diligent with our food and exercise plans, and count our successes in other ways rather than what the numbers say on an scale at any given point. Easier said than done. I am measuring inches, and reveling in the smaller size clothes I can wear, and my better mobility. For now, I guess that will have to do. I guess we have to consider that we wouldn't have lost even this much weight without the surgery- and it confirms what we have known all along, we have poor metabolisms which have contributed at least in part to the obesity. Feel free to e-mail me anytime, and I would be happy to set up a chat room with you , or maybe we need to check with obesity help.com about setting up a message board for slow losers. Hang in there! You are NOT alone. Marcy 367/302/160
Tracey L.
on 12/27/04 8:21 am - Concord, CA
Marcy you are a doll! Your post mirrors my own thoughts and opinions. I too am learning to measure my success in new sizes and inches. Most importantly being off a morphine patch, blood pressure meds and 100 Darvon a month for Rheumatoid. I too, have much better mobility. I can walk freely without pain for the first time in years, and without a cane. At 41, I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but just struggling with the slowness of the progress. I'd love to get a chat room for those of us struggling with slow weight loss.... Tracey 359/297/ one day at a time
IrishIze
on 12/27/04 8:26 am - NJ
Tracey, I'm sorry if you feel that people shouldn't brag when they are doing well. I guess I feel that others should be proud of their accomplishments, even if mine are sometimes slower than I expected. I have had my ups and downs, and had my share of frustration and success. I think we have all struggled - those who lose quickly as well as those who don't and those of us who are middle-of-the-road. I know there are people on this board who have lost quickly because they get sick a lot, and that is surely a struggle none of us would wish to have. Like Pamela said, why not join us in recommitting to the guidelines and exercise - you don't have to do a lot of exercise - start off with something small like walking in place for 5 minutes a few times a day or stretching your arms up and out 20 times a few times a day. Every little bit helps. Let's all try and get the protein in first and cut the carbs back. We are all in the same boat, and it's so much nicer to work together than to be at odds, so please join us!! Hugs, Nancy -81
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views