Holiday Eating - YIKES!

IrishIze
on 12/26/04 10:14 pm - NJ
I didn't eat a lot of the 'wrong' things, but I ate a lot of the OK things. It was more of a problem with volume. Sometimes I felt like a bottomless pit. (That really scared me because it seemed I could fit an awful lot into my pouch... ). I also have not been getting anywhere near the fluids I should be. I guess I associate eating with the holidays, and it has really been tough for me. I am eating protein first, but eating too much. My calories have gone up a lot. When I weighed this morning I had gained 2 lbs!!! I am recommitting today to get in 64 oz. of fluids, at least 70g of protein, and keeping the calories below 800. I am also going to do the Walk Away the Pounds 2 mile workout (it's too cold to walk outside!). I am also cleaning the junk out of the fridge and starting off with a protein shake this morning!! Another part of the problem is that I am on vacation from my job for two weeks. When I'm at work I can limit the amount of food I bring, but at home, it's always there. Guess this is where I learn that thing called 'self-control' ! So, did anyone else have a tough time with eating during the holidays? Anyone else need to recommit??? Hugs, Nancy -81
Sandy S.
on 12/27/04 12:28 am - Surry, United States
I too found it way too easy to "cheat"! There is so much food around, and it all looks so good! I have never eaten fruitcake in my life, this year I LOVE it! That's scary for me, cuz EVERYTHING looks better than ever! I just keep stepping on the scales, and reminding myself what I have gone through to get to this point, though it doesn't stop me every time, cuz I seem to conveniently "forget" sometimes that I can't do this to myself! This journey we have all had to endure sure has it's dangerous curves and scary pitfalls, but it's been such a wonderous journey. I feel like if I can get through New Year's, then I can do this! It's VERY cold here in Maine, so walking is just not an option for this new thinner woman who gets cold way easier than before, but I will run up and down stairs all day if I have to to continue with this fabulous journey I am on! We have gone too far folks to let a little holiday celebrating get in our way! Okay, it's on to the stairs for me, and away from the fruitcake!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/04 12:30 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Count me in on the recommit bandwagon. But it will be a couple of days before I get into the swing of things. We have a lot of Christmas goodies left that need to be eaten before it goes bad. A lot of it is deli meats and cheese, but we do have some homemade fudge and banana bread that I'd hate to throw out. Aren't I awful???? I chose all the WRONG things to eat for the last three days. I didn't OVEREAT really, just ate things high in fat and calories, with very low protein. I also haven't exercised since last Monday, unless you count all the shopping I've been doing. As soon as I get my life together and get the holiday stuff taken care of, I am going to work my A$$ off so that I can reach 200lbs by next Christmas. Hopefully more, but I'll settle for 200! Pamela -74
Monna W.
on 12/27/04 1:10 am - Susanville, CA
Our family does not have a traditional Christmas dinner. Years ago (I've forgotten when) we started having a Mexican dinner so we have enchiladas, guacamole, tacos, etc. I had no deserts or cookies, just enchiladas. I ate 1 1/2 and that was way too much because I was sick afterwards. I just cannot eat very much yet. There were too many carbs which has caused me to retain about 4 lbs of fluid (due to my underlying pulmonary problems). On a good note, I have had another non-scale victory. Yesterday my daughter and I were wrapping presents for her son's birthday and we sat on the floor. I was able to get up unaided for the first time in about 4 years. Now I can sit on the floor to play with my grandchildren. What a wonderful Christmas gift!!!!
Vivi *.
on 12/27/04 2:45 am - clermont, FL
I need to jump in the bandwagen too. I am a bottomless pit, I eat-eat-eat when I am home!!! a little bit at the time, all the time... Have not gotten any water in (just COFFEE!!) and I need to rethink my food choices, vitamin commitment, and exercise routine (which is none right now.) Someone, please, kick my rear-end!! -Flávia
MinnieMia
on 12/27/04 3:23 am - SC
Yesyesyes! I made my diabetic BF banana bread with Splenda Thursday. I figured, hey, it's got splenda, not sugar and it's a very "christmas-y" thing in my family so why shouldn't I have 1/2 piece (like 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 3") every day? Well...it's all I want to eat now. And the dumb thing is that it hurts to eat it but I still want it. I have done so well steering clear of anything remotely treat-like that I have just gone overboard now that I have allowed myself to have it. I can't have that stuff in the house anymore. I've also been doing tortilla chips (WW tortillas that I cut up and bake, not the store bought ones!) with my refried beans/soy burger/salsa/cheese...I get 16 chips per tortilla so it's not like they're huge but still...carbs. This weekend (Thursday-Sunday) I didn't do protein shakes or vites like i should have, either...bad girl! And I grazed some and we went to Chinese twice...wow...bad food weekend! I'm on the recommit bandwagon, too! Got to get tha****er in, walk and do the protein thing! Thanks for this post, it helps to be conscious of these things and make a verbal (written!) committment in front of other people! MM 265/251/179.4/130 7/13/04
hockeyhottie
on 12/27/04 5:05 am - Madison Heights, MI
okay-I'm confessing my sins for Christmas Mostly hurt myself by not eating ANYTHING! Skipped way too many meals because I was out and about. The worst part was then we I did eat, I ended up feeling nauseous. Did not keep up with vitamins and or water intake--even my son said Mom you haven't been drinking your water! All the not eating/drinking made me very, well to put a nice way, ill tempered. Not a very nice thing to be at Christmas--two pieces of coal in my stocking! Needless to say, I am eating regular meals and drinking water like I am suppose to--good girl, Mel!
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/04 6:33 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
How about if we start up that food and exercise post again, at least for a while? I'm going to go back to logging on fitday tomorrow. I'll just have to throw out all of the food gifts. Who needs them anyway? Pamela -74
IrishIze
on 12/27/04 7:06 am - NJ
Pamela, I was thinking the same thing. I started logging onto fitday today and did my 2 mile Walk Away the Pounds tape. I'd love it if you'd do the food and exercise post again - it really helped keep me honest! Hugs, Nancy -81
AngelFlyingHappy
on 12/27/04 7:14 am - Oxnard, CA
:sheepishly raising hand: Yes I need to recommit!!!! I had done soooo well until Christmas Eve and though I didnt eat "bad" stuff, just grazed and snacked too much. Nancy I'm like you, I'm off wor****il January 4th and my gosh I want to snack!!! So starting tomorrow I'm with ya on the bandwagon. Pam.....yes let's do the what did you eat today post!! I think it will be most helpful!!! Michelle -97
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views