Too much/too fast??? Desperate!

melissab
on 12/21/04 7:21 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I'm losing too much weight too fast. I know that everyone says 'oh no worries, it slows down, your body knows". But it is important to remember that some people (albeit not common, but nor is it unheard of) do continue to lose past the point that the doc would deem healthy. I had LAP RNY July 28 (so under 5 months) and have gone from 270lbs to 156lbs today. At least 20+ lbs remaining I would probably deem excess skin. I am stunned that as a starting "lightweight" I have SOOO much extra skin. So if we even go conservative and say 10lbs is extra skin, then I'd be down to an actual weight of 146lbs. The loss has plateau'ed several times as well but always kicks back in to loss mode with a vengeance. This week I cut out my avid work outs and upped my calories to a sinful level, been eating constantly to try to slow things down, and (Please do not flame cuz I just can't take it at this point, desperate times calling for desperate measures) all kinds of "no no" foods. I won't risk sugar because I don't wanna know if I'll dump on it. But I have stuck to my 3 healthy/protein packed recommended meals per day, but added in constant snacking in between to try to slow things down. Still I'm down 10lbs since seeing my doctor 10 days ago. At that point he didn't want me to lose any more than 20lbs extra. I truly don't know what else to do. I hate the way the "junk" foods make me feel now (ironic isn't it??). I feel crappy, sluggish, sleepy, the carbs are killing me and draining me. But I have to eat SOMETHING higher calorie to try to up the calories and stop the loss. I used a ketostick. Still in the highest level of ketosis that my sticks will read. How long is ketosis supposed to last anyhow????? This isn't gonna suddenly slam on the brakes and stop falling off me just cuz my doc and I want it to. This surgery is almost seeming to work "too well" for me. Please if any of you have experience I'd love to hear what has or hasn't worked/helped. Or web guru's, anyone know of any good links to advice on being in that small percentage of ppl who do lose too much??? Melissa PS. My labs are all good, nutrition wise I'm excellent for now. That's one good thing at least.
Sue G.
on 12/21/04 9:49 am - Aurora, NE
Since this is the July Message board I would try the main message board. There are people there that had surgery two and three years ago and may have some good advice. We are all still in the first 5/6 months and most of us are still wanting to lose. I would think adding carbs like potatoes and breads as well as cuting back on your protein drinks would help slow it down. I would try not to get in the habit of eating junk and snacking. At your regular meals eat more carbs like bread and potatoes and vegetables and snack on cheese and crackers. It may not slow down immediately becuz of your muscle build up from your workouts. I'm just guessing and am not really any more experienced with this than you are . Your best source would be your nutrisionist at your Drs office. Good Luck !! I wish that was my problem I'm still working on losing and it's coming off slowly for me. ... Sue
SpyderS
on 12/22/04 4:27 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Never cut back on your protein---EVER. Taking in a lot of protein is a lifelong thing, and cannot be stopped when you are at goal. Our bodies are made up of protein. Cut that out and you will be in for a world of trouble. They have protein drinks that are made to bulk you up. LOL.. can you imagine? I'm not trying to make light of this, but isn't it a start contrast to our whole life before WLS? In any event, check out the high protein, and high calorie drinks. Run this all by your surgeon and PCP above all. Spyder -93.5
IrishIze
on 12/21/04 10:51 pm - NJ
Melissa - I too would take this to the main message board. There is a lot of wisdom and experience there. I would also be sure to express your concern to your surgeon - s/he should be aware of all of this. Hoping that things settle down for you a bit - please let us know what you find out.... Hugs and Happy Holidays, Nancy -82
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views