BEWARE the husband who wields the measuring cup!

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/04 9:47 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Kind of a funny story for you...but not really Last night, I went to the gym while my daughter had dance class. My husband cooked dinner because I wasn't home. He made chili, which was what I had planned to make. Normally, my husband makes really good chili. It smelled great, but he said that I'd need to "doctor" it because he's not good at spices. He said not to add sugar because he already had done that (we always add a bit of sugar to take away the tomato taste of the sauce). I took a taste, and it WAS good, but a little sweet. I did my doctoring, but it was STILL sweet. We went ahead and ate dinner. About twenty minutes after I finished eating, I had a stage 2 dumping experience. (Stage one is sluggish, stage three is racing heart and being hot and cold) I started to feel lightheaded, and eventually felt miserable enough to lie down. I asked my husband how much sugar he put into the chili. "Not much," he told me. "So...what? A tablespoon? Two tablespoons?" I asked. "One of those quarter-cup things," he answered. Had I been sitting up, I would have fallen over. 1/4 cup of sugar is an awful lot when we normally put in a tablespoon! "Well, now we know why it was so sweet," I said. Today for lunch, stupid me ate another bowl of chili. And stupid me had another stage 2 dumping experience. Moral to the story? Don't let your husband touch the sugar when cooking!
IrishIze
on 12/16/04 9:54 pm - NJ
Pamela, back away from the chili!! I can't believe you ate more !! This is one of the things I worry about when I don't prepare my own food. What may be a little bit of sugar to one person, could mean misery for me!!! Hope you're feeling better, and how about getting your hubby some measuring spoons for a stocking stuffer!! Hugs, Nancy -82
Marcy B.
on 12/18/04 2:29 am - West Bloomfield, MI
Pamela: You are doing great! We were on parellel paths before, about the same starting weight- similar eating patterns ( from what you posted daily... I miss those...what happened to them?? ) but you are doing a little bit better than I am these days pounds wise. But I am happy. down 62lbs from my all time high. I am striking distance from breaking the 300 lb mark and I can't wait until I do. Maybe by the first of the year that will happen. I am not so much concerned now with the slower weight loss because I found out that my thyroid levels are very low and that could have been what has kept my weight loss slower than the average. But I am definitely losing lots of inches, and my blubber feels all soft and mushy like it is melting away..so something good is happening. I am also fitting into my daughter's jeans- size 28- ( down from busting out of 34's what a cow!! ) . and into clothes I haven't worn in years. But, I am totally off topic here...so where was I??? Anyway-about measuring..I have gone back to measuring too- cuz our eyes are still bigger than our stomachs. I have never had dumping per se- but I think when I eat stuff with sugar ( and I haven't lost my sweet tooth)I get horrible rumbling and grumbling and gas in my stomach that makes me feel like someone is playing ping-pong in side of me. Guess I should consider myself lucky. And we are both lucky that we have spouses who make our chili for us. My hubby makes a mean chili- with ground turkey lots of beans...Durkees Chil mix and tomatoes---not too spicy at all- I live on the stuff. Marcy- -62
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views