PROTEIN DRINKS YUCK and sometimes life stll sucks

lynn S.
on 12/14/04 8:31 pm - oxnard, CA
This is my first reading these boards and i must say I'm happy for all of you. But I have tried every protein drink possible and still they are unsatisfying to say the least. If i am going to use the small amount room i have for food i want to feel good about it. I know all the dietary reasons and when I worked as a R.N. and did post op education I instructed the same, but 5 months, of which i faithfully followed the protein drinks for 4 months, i decided to quit fighting the nauseating idea of another protein drfink and am normalizing my diet with food proteins. I go shopping 2.3 times and plan my diet to foods i like and are good for me in proteins and other nutrients. i fnd my tastes are still changing. I eat a variety of foods I never would tried before. By now most of us know more about nutrition and our bodies [eventhough we have undergone recent changes] than better our initial instructors. If you love your drinks fine but i checked with my doctor and dietician and as along as i take my vits and minerals I need [ I do have vit B12 injections because i wasn't absorbing it] they said it was fine. I was at a stall in my weight loss and 305/240/65# on 12/1 wt loss surg. date 7/1/04 today I weigh 234 and feel better. I also go through some major funk at times. Everyone has their own side effects with rapid weight loss [yes rapid,anytime you lose more than 3-5 lbs,/mo,it's rapid] Mine are, medically recent episodes of urinary incontinence, not all the times and not stress related, but do I think it's due to the excssive abd skin and weight. I also get depessed because I can.t return to work yet because of my need for knee replacment surgery my surgeon wants me to weigh under 200# [which why i had bypass in the first place] and this last week i got terminated from my job of 14 years as a Home Health R.N. Sometimes I look @ myself in the mirror as say good for you and other times i look at the fodls of flab and cry. Maybe Im dfferent but just wanted to share with you all.
Tara118
on 12/14/04 10:24 pm - Trenton, OH
Hey Lynn!! Can I suggest, if you havne't already tried it, the Slimfast Low Carb shakes. They have to be the low carb because the others are high in sugar. I love the creamy chocolate. If you like vanilla it is good too. They are sold in a 4 pk of individual cans and they are 20g of protien each. It's worth a shot. The ones I have bought that you have to mix up have such and aftertaste...yuck!! Also {{HUGS}} about the trouble with your knee surgery and about loosing your job. Soon you will be a new woman and be ready to start all over again!! Tara 305/218/170 -87
IrishIze
on 12/15/04 1:20 am - NJ
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones who enjoys a protein drink! I get the Carb Countdown Yogurt smoothies and add Isopure 0 carb powder to it. To me it tastes good and really helps keeping my protein up there. Sorry about the problems. I think we all go through different emotions. Our bodies are changing every day, not to mention the hormones. I'm glad we have each other to 'bounce' off of. Hang in there!! Hugs, Nancy -81
Patima
on 12/15/04 4:27 am - GA
I tried a lot of protein drinks, too and had a real tough time keeping some of them down! I finally found a ready to drink (Zero Carb Isopure protein drink - 40g protein in a 20 oz bottle) and a powder (Isopure Low Carb Dutch Chocolate protein powder - 25g protein per scoop) that I have been sticking with. The ready to drink comes in several flavors. It costs around $3.50 a bottle at GNC. The powder I love to mix with 8th Continent original flavor soy milk. Sometimes I add 1/2 a banana and/or a couple Tablespoons of peanut butter. One day I heated the soy milk in the microwave and added it to the protein powder and it made a great cup of hot chocolate! Good luck in your search, Patti
MinnieMia
on 12/15/04 11:33 pm - SC
I was in the same boat with regards to protein as you a few months ago. I just ignored protein because I had tried 13 different ones and i was tired of buying expensive protein only to yack it up a few minutes after I drank it! I started buying fat free Carb Countdown milk...12g protein per 8 oz...and drank several cups of that a day. Then I tried "milk & egg" protein from the grocery store with a little decaf instant coffee to cover the slight smell (sensitive whiffer here) and some sf davinci's chocolate syrup and a tsp of low fat pb...it not only stayed down but i started actually enjoying it. Then I found Unjury Unflavored and have truly *loved* my protein shakes ever since! They are a treat to me now. The UU is truly unflavored and has no smell to me. I put anything and everything in it and mix it with carb countdown milk...sf nestle quik with a little decaf instant coffee for a mocha flavor, banana and hazelnut syrup for a banana bread flavor, applesauce, cinnamon & hazelnut syrup for apple pie...pudding powder, frozen fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese...It can also be added to soups, puddings, gravies, eggs, etc. I know you said you've tried every one but if you haven't tried the CC milk, milk & egg protein or the Unjury unflavored might I suggest them? I know the prospect is nauseating to say the least, trust me, I KNOW. Also, if you're getting your required protein from foods you don't need a shake! I use the UU shakes as a treat, to take my vites with in the morning & evening and to boost my protein to 120-130g a day but I get 60 or more from just food... I have gotten brave and tried some of the fish recipes in Susan Maria's book and they are FABULOUS! And that's saying something for a girl from the midwest whose family were all "cow farmers"! (If it didn't moo it wasn't served!) I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, hope everything works out for you. MM
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views