How do I get started?

DIANA P.
on 12/14/04 10:53 am - Elkhart, IN
Hi Im new to this site and I am just now contemplating this surgery as a last option. I have a few questions!! like do you have to be referred by your doctor to a surgen?? How long will I have to be off work? Im pretty sure I qualify Im 4ft 11" and wt 246 my bmi is 49 Im pretty lucky though I don't have any medical problem except for the usual getting old crapp :crazy Im 53 gonna be 54 in March I would like to lose 100lb.. You see I can't be off work to long because I still have to pay my bills and I don't know how my Insurance works yet they might pay me while Im off. I'll find all that out.... Well Im ready to get started Some one point me in the right direction :angel I appreciate all responses oh and by the way please call me Dee
C J.
on 12/14/04 4:48 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Dee...Welcome. With a BMI of 49, I'm sure you qualify! Usually the requirement is a BMI of 40 unless you have lots of co-morbidities in which case a BMI over 35 is sufficent. To get started check with your insurence company. Find out what they require and start keeping a log of everyone you talk to at the insurence company. Ask specifically about BMI, is a medically supervised diet required and if it is for how long? Ask if you have to have a referral or can you self refer, ask if they have specific doctors you have to see, do they require a psych eval, cardiac eval, sleep study prior to referral or do they wait for the surgeon to ask for specific tests. What are the co-pays, how much will they pay for surgery. Start the process with your doctor...get him to document any co-morbidites, ie diabetes, sleep apnea, headaches, joint pain, high blood pressure, incontinence, GERD, gallbladder diseasem high cholesteral, hyperlipidema, edema etc. Tell him all about all of your aches and pains. ASk for help losing weight, ask for an exercise program. Make sure you have documentation in your medical record of all your past diet attempts and that you are trying to lose weight. If your ins. co requires a supervised diet, you need a diet program in your medical record and records of monthyl weigh ins. I was off work for 11 days...was tired when I went back but did okay. My job does not require any heavy lifting and I vary between walking and sitting at a desk. In CA you wouold qualify for at least 6 weeks disability after surgery. Good luck and hope this helps you get started. Stay in touch. CJ 246/172/138
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views