Is there something wrong with me?

Phat Hobbit
on 12/4/04 5:45 am - Chino, CA
I am now almost 5 months out after surgery. I am now beginning to get cravings for sweet stuff (Thanksgiving was hard to get through with all the pies and goodies!). I havent had the displeasure of dumping yet! I'm wondering why I dont dump....I have eaten some sweet things like slices of Orange-Cranberry cake and some Mince Pie and I also eat Rice. I do not dump! I am scared to death that I will fall into my bad habits again. I was counting on the DUMPING so that it would serve as "aversion therapy" to keep me on the right track. I have lost a lot of weight but I am scared of slipping backwards, knowing that I can tolerate sweet stuff. Is there something wrong with me?
melissab
on 12/4/04 6:30 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I have never dumped either. Mind you I haven't eaten much (except a small nibble, really small) that isn't on my surgeon's agenda yet. I don't think anything is wrong with you. I read alot of posts of people who don't dump on sugar, etc. Everyone is made so differently. A suggestion for the attack of the sweet tooth, try Atkins Low Carb sugar free protein bars. There is a caramel nut cluster one in chocolate that is to die for, peanut butter cups and some that taste like twix and after dinner chocolate mints. Eaten in small portions they really hit the spot for the sweet tooth. I carry one around with me when out just in case so i'm not tempted. Hang in there Melissa
IrishIze
on 12/4/04 8:30 am - NJ
I read on the main board that something like 30% of WLS patients do not dump. I haven't tried sugar because I'm afraid I'll find out I can tolerate it. I was a sugar-holic pre surgey and I'm just going to assume I'll dump. I've tried the Endulge chocolate creme wafers and the Hershey's One Carb bars are great for those sweet-tooth cravings. Hang in there!! Hugs, Nancy -78
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/04 6:10 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
First off, you're completely normal! No matter what type of surgery we had, we're still human and will occasionally crave our favorite foods and sweets for the rest of our lives. Just because you haven't dumped YET doesn't mean that you won't at some point. One day, I ate two fun-size Snickers from my daughter's Halloween bucket. I didn't dump, didn't even get lightheaded. The next day (bad, I know!!), I ate one Snickers and one Baby Ruth fun-size bar. I got lightheaded and sluggish (my mild dumping symptoms). And then one day, I had about 1tbs of a Berry dipping sauce, and I dumped MAJORLY, complete with a racing heart. Sometimes, it just depends on the food you eat and how much of it you take in. If you want something sweet, it's okay to have a bite or two. You could end up dumping, but if you don't, you just have to exercise that part of your brain that says "Nope, I don't need any more." Just take everything one bite at a time and be very mindful about what you are doing. Pamela 352/283/278 by Christmas
C J.
on 12/5/04 1:48 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi, I wouldn't count on not ever dumping! I can eat a little rice, but I can't eat potatoes! I can eat a bite of this and a bite of that, then I got brave and ate a donut and was miserable. I think it's normal to start pushing the limits, after all we didn't have brain surgery. We still like the foods that made us fat. Here's where the willpower comes in..eat the protein first, then your veggies and fruit and if you have room enjoy a bite or two. This way you never feel deprived. And you can keep it under it under control. I remind myself that there will always be more pie, candy and junk food available but this is my chance to lose weight and make new habits. Good luck, CJ
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views