A little worried

elaine B.
on 12/2/04 1:52 pm - Chatham, Canada
I have not been on here in a while. I guess I have been feeling a little ashamed about my weight loss. I have only lost 70lbs since surgery July 28th. I feel like I can eat just about anything and I feel like I eat too much. Unfortunately, my Dr. says that I am not dumping the way I should. I know that most ppl would think that is a good thing but I think that if I was dumping then I would know that my pouch is working! I read what everyone posts and I am so happy for everyone!! You all are doing so wonderfully!! I applaud you all for the weight you have lost! Especially the ppl who have reach the 100lbs mark!! Way to go!! So I gues i was wondering if it was normal for me not to have lost as much as most of you? If anyone has any advice or suggestions on what I can do, please feel free to let me know. I value all the great advice I have read here in the past. Blessings to you all.. keep up the great work!!
Lisa H.
on 12/2/04 9:03 pm - Lake City, FL
Elaine, I had surgery on July 1st and I've only lost 60lbs. But that's more than 10 lbs. a month and I have never lost 60lbs. before ( all in the same diet that is). I think you are doing great...you're almost a whole month behind me and 10 lbs. ahead. How much did you weigh when you had surgery? My dr. told me for people around my weight (275 at surgery and 215 now) that 8-10lbs. a month is a safe and healthy rate to lose at. I don't have alot of sagging "yet" except in my stomach area but that's not even as bad as I thought it would be. Keep your chin up and continue to follow the rules. By the way, I don't dump on ANYthing either. Lisa
CAROL H.
on 12/2/04 9:10 pm - FAIRBORN, OH
Hi Elaine, I have said this before in some other posts, so please forgive the repetition. In my opinion (for what it's worth ), it's hard to compare yourself with others unless you know that the person you're comparing yourself to started out at about the same weight as you. Does that make sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that a person that started out weighing 350+ would be more likely to lose 100 pounds by now than say a person that started at 250. The more a person has to lose, the quicker it comes off (generally). Now I'm sure there are other factors that play into this equation, but 70 pounds is great! You've lost enough weight that's equivilant to a small child! I have lost 93.5 pounds, but I still feel huge. That is because the weight I'm at now is what some people start at!!! That's a little depressing to me, but as long as my weight keeps dropping off a couple of pounds a week, I'm ecstatic!!! I have to keep reminding myself that it does take a year and a half to two years to get where we're going. And we've only been on this journey 5 months. Hang in there.....you're doing great
Deejay
on 12/2/04 11:20 pm - Sparks, NV
I completely agree with Carol. I had surgery 7/19 and I've only lost 65lbs so far and I'm happy with that. I started at 257 and I'm 42lbs from my goal now so its coming off slower. I also don't dump but I know my limits and workout consistently so I know I will succeed no matter how long it takes. Your doing great, just keep on doing what your doing and you'll get there. 70lbs in 4 months is fantastic! Deejay 257/192/150 -65
Irene S.
on 12/3/04 12:19 am - NJ
Hi Elaine, There is nothing wrong with the amount of weight you've lost! I had surgery on the 27th and I've lost about 75 lbs. so far. I started at 322 and I'm about 247 now. The real problem is what you're eating. Grazing on carbs all day is NOT the way to go, which you obviously know. You must choose each day to eat the way your surgeon wants you to. It's something that only you can do. Eating carbs because you don't dump isn't a good enough reason to do that. Did you know that something like 30% of people that have RNY never dump? Just because you don't dump doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your surgery. If you are TRULY unable to do this, perhaps you need a better support system? Do you have and attend support group meetings? What about others going through this? Do you know anyone that has had weight loss surgery? Have you considered counseling? It's supposed to be one of the best ways to deal with food obsessions and eating problems. I'll keep you in my prayers. irene
melissaross75
on 12/3/04 1:41 am - Cottage Grove, MN
Wow, now I wonder if I should feel ashamed for only losing 65lbs. Less than you in more time. My surgery was July 13th. I honestly think that if you are eating protein first, and keeping your carb and sugar counts really low than you will lose at your own rate. I know I'm not really worried about how quickly I'm losing. I just feel that our bodies will slow down the weight loss when it feels threatened and that might be different for different people. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just make sure you are eating the right foods and getting the fluids you need. That's what this surgery is all about anyway. It teaches us the right amounts to eat and the right foods to eat.
Curious Mickey D.
on 12/3/04 4:35 am - Montgomery, TX
I had my surgery the same day as you, and I have lost 63 pounds.... So you are doing better than me Curious Mickey Diva 24 yo, 5'2" 229/166/120
C J.
on 12/3/04 5:27 am - Port Hueneme, CA
Hey Elaine...I also had surgery on the 28th and have lost 71 pounds...and I'm not the least bit ashamed! I don't think you shoud be either. We are doing great. CJ 246/175/138
T R.
on 12/3/04 1:44 pm
Same here! I had my surgery on July 8th and I am only down 69 pounds. Also, I don't dump either. It makes me wonder sometimes if I actually had surgery. I don't dare eat candy or sugary treats, I don't want to test fate. So, just be careful of what is going in and we all think you are doing well, so don't worry! I see it this way. I could not have lost this much on any diet that I have been on. So, you just need to stay positive and march in line like the rest of us, and know that you will get there. When I get down I think about how good/healthy I feel now. It really helps. In fact, I think you should treat yourself to something special because you are really doing better than you think. Go shopping for new clothes or shoes this weekend. Take care
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views