NEWBY has a question for the pros...

Transplant N.
on 11/30/04 3:36 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
Just had my surgery this month, and wondered about hair loss, any of you use the biotin and not lost hair yet? I don't want to waste my time if it is a myth. Thanks! I will share your info with my November 2004 surgery board. Hugs!! Lori RNY 11/22
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/04 10:07 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I've heard MANY times that the biotin doesn't really work. My dietician said that a lack of protein is the culprit, but I got in all my protein and vitamins, and I was STILL losing hair. It started at 2 1/2 months, got really bad for a while, and is now starting to slow down. My hair is disgustingly thick, so I was glad to have lost a lot of it. Pamela -66
IrishIze
on 11/30/04 10:32 pm - NJ
I have been taking Biotin since month 2, and while I notice some hair loss, it's a minimal amount and doesn't cause me any concern. I got the Biotin at Vitamin Shoppe and I think it cost less than $5 for 100 capsules. Not a bad investment in my estimation!! Hugs, Nancy -74
Monna W.
on 12/1/04 12:02 am - Susanville, CA
I have not experienced any hair loss and like some of the others on this board, I had some complications post-surgery. I am really glad I have not had hair loss as my hair is very fine and not much of it to begin with. Good luck to you in your journey. Monna -99.5 lbs.
Debra O.
on 12/1/04 12:33 am - Chino, CA
I read a long article on this subject. I wish I would have saved it to share everytime I hear this question. When you have any kind of trauma to the body, and in this case there is two different kinds (the surgery & the dramatic weight drop.) The shafts that hold the hair follicles let go of a certain amount of hair. THe article said that there is nothing that can be done to stop this. The hair will fall out no matter what is done. I had very thin hair prior to surgery, now I have alot of bald spots. I have been taking biotin since way before surgery, I use the nioxin shampoo everyday, and I have no problem getting in my protien everyday (usually 90 grams a day) So nothing has worked for me, and I beleive to be true what I read in that article. ~Debra ~RNY 7-14-04 270~192~140 (and Bald)
brittypie
on 12/1/04 1:33 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 07/01/04 with
I started losing hair about 2 months ago and it is still pretty bad...my hair is getting thinner everyday. WILL IT STOP???? WHEN???? I have been getting around 60 grams of protein a day and have not tried any of the shampoos or the Biotin. I did not get the recommended protein in for about the first 2-3 months and I'm paying for it in HAIR!!!
CAROL H.
on 12/1/04 2:15 am - FAIRBORN, OH
Well, I've been taking biotin since 2 weeks after surgery (07-01-04) and using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner and I have still lost a lot of hair! It didn't help that I was thin on top before I feel like I have a "comb-over" now. But I'm trying not to fret....I hear it starts coming in after the 6th month.
LTruesdale1980
on 12/1/04 3:18 am - Orange Grove, TX
I am not getting my maximum allotment of protein in, mainly because I forget to take my meds daily. But, I do not eat nothing but meat really. I started noticing hair loss about 4 months out and it is not too bad yet. Lisa
Tanja Y
on 12/1/04 3:52 am - Wahiawa, HI
I've always shed alot of hair while in the shower and brushing it. Before surgery it didn't bug me, now everytime I clean out the shower drain I worry that if it doesn't slow down soon I may go bald! I know it's not that bad, but I still worry. Used to I'd go get my hair thinned out~this week I want to get it trimmed and I definately won't be getting it thinned!! I don't have any bald spots yet, but I've heard it does happen to some no matter what you do. I don't take biotin but I've thought about it. I get in all the protein my surgeon and nutritionist, even go over it most days. Hopefully it will stop SOON! ~Tanja -118
kberkihiser
on 12/1/04 4:18 am - Lancaster, PA
I read an interesting article in a magazine and can let you know my experience. About month 3 I started losing it in gobs, and I still am losing alot depending on the day. I also take the nioxin shampoo, conditioner, and serum I do have new hair growth. I read an article that said if your hair is thinning to get it colored, I was working on darn near a bald spot at the top of my head so I figured why not try. Apparently coloring you hair thickens the hair shaft, a lighter color will draw attention from your scalp to your hair and make the thinning less obvious. I can say than since I had my highlights done, 98% of what falls out is dark hair now, the blond hair seems to stay, I had a bad day today with it and lost about 400 hairs this morning, only a few were colored. and this is pretty normal now, so much so I am thinking about going back and having more colored! Kristy B 306/236/165 -70/70 to go!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views