IS everyone getting in the protein, vitamin's and h2o?

dana W.
on 11/26/04 11:25 pm - fort worth, tx
For the people in july r u really gettin in 60-80grms of protein a day? and what abt the million of pills we take a day? Do u really get them all in? and lets not forget abt the water? 8 glasses of water a day,,,and some people say we shld be gettin more water in than that.. So i want to know is it just me? who is not gettin in the daily doses? r is this something that will come in time...my surgery date was 7/29/04 im down 60lbs and i feel its to slow,,,.. Someone please help with answers i need to know. Dana
IrishIze
on 11/26/04 11:39 pm - NJ
Dana, I usually average around 70 grams of protein a day. I do supplement with shakes to make that happen. As far as pills, I don't really have a problem with mine - most of them go right down the hatch - it doesn't seem like that many to me. Water is something I have to constantly work at. I try and get in at least 64 oz per day, but don't always make that goal. Hang in there and just keep doing the best you can!! Hugs, Nancy -74
Debra O.
on 11/27/04 3:06 am - Chino, CA
Dana, you didnt state why you weren't getting your protien, water, and vitamins in. I make it a point every day to make sure I do. I dont want to get sick. If you aren't getting in your required protien you need to start drinking protien drinks. Also, put your pills out where you can see them everyday and make sure by the end of the day the ones you have put out are gone. The same with the water. Put out 5 water bottles and make sure by the end of the day they are gone. Doing it this way really helps me. I have no problems getting it all in, because I want to remain healthy. I didn't go through all the trouble to have this surgery to have problems down the road. ~Debra
Lalocaweta
on 11/27/04 9:31 am - Spicewood, TX
Dana: I try to get in my vitamins every day - sometimes I do forget...Found that if I leave the bottles by my toothbrush - then I remember to take them! As for water - still working on that one.... As for protein - still working on that one.... Did really good today - got in 50 grams before 1100am today - but that was with a concentrated effort (and a protein drink I made - which had 30 grams and concentrated protein which had 20 grams...NOT with food!!!) I am happy if I get in 50 ounces of water and 50 grams of protein a day. I strive to go higher... Anne 260/180/140 2/3's of the way to my goal!
Patima
on 11/29/04 11:52 am - GA
Dana, I had my 4 month appointment today and am officially down 65 pounds and am thrilled! Everyone talks about their weight loss in pounds, and it can get very confusing for a lot of people. The more you weigh, the more significant the initial weight loss. I am what my surgeon calls a "lightweight", weighing 252 at surgery (but I am 5' 2"), so for me, 65 pounds is fantastic. I am not a daily weigh-er, I only weigh when I go to the doctor. I go by how well I feel. I set up my meds by the week in those weekly compartment-type pill trays. But I got the one that has morning, noon, evening and bedtime, so I can really split them out. I do have liquid meds that can't go in the tray, so I keep the tray and the liquid meds in a gallon size zip lock and keep it on the sideboard next to the kitchen table along with my glucose testing kit and my blood pressure machine. Every morning that is the first thing I do, even before brushing my teeth. I go to the kitchen table, check my sugar and blood pressure and document it in my log. Then I do my morning meds. I cannot take pills, everything has to be crushed or liquid because I have the silastic ring. So everything gets crushed and I put it in a little diet V-8 Splash and chase it with a little more Splash. If I am going to be out for the day, I take my morning meds and transfer my other meds for the day to a small tray and pop it in a zip loc with the liquid supplements and throw it in my purse (along with my protein bar, pouch of tuna and plastic fork). I have a little cooler I set in the back seat for 2 bottles of water, a bottle of Crystal Light, and a bottle of Isopure. I still supplement daily protein with shakes/drinks. I like the Zero Carb Isopure Protein Drink in the bottle. A 20 ounce bottle has 40 grams of protein. I drink half in the morning and half in the afternoon instead of a "snack". Also, since it is liquid it counts toward my 64 ounces. I really try hard to keep my protein up, no hair loss yet, and don't want to take a chance. I can't stress the importance of getting in your 64 (or more) ounces. About 6 weeks after my surgery I had to go in the hospital for a week for dehydration, and I don't recommend it! Now I have learned to check my finger tips, if they are pruned like I stayed in the tub too long, that means I need to get more fluids in. If I start to feel headachy, I need to drink. My family chases me down with drinks...if I let it sit and walk away, they come after me with it! I picked up a couple of journals from the Dollar Store. Each day I write down what I have for meals/snacks and the protein counts for each. It helps to keep me on track, and honest. Plus I can used good days as reference. Remember, you are in this for YOU. This isn't a contest or race with anyone as to who can lose the most weight the quickest, so don't perceive it as such. Good Luck, Patti
SpyderS
on 11/30/04 3:37 am - Swedesboro, NJ
I take in between 80-90 grams of protein every day, and I always, always take my vitamins and minerals. I have not lost one strand of hair from this surgery. The thing you have to understand here, is that you MUST take your vitamins. It is NOT an option with this surgery. When considering the surgery, one of the things you agreed to do if you were approved was take your vitamins religiously for the rest of your life. You agreed to make lifelong lifestyle changes. Well... it's time to pay up with the changes. The surgery is just a tool, it is you that has to take charge of it. Think of the new pouch as a power drill. You are the electricity! Without the electricity, the drill is worthless. YOU have to interact with the drill to make it drill away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got the power. I can't stress enough how seriously important it is to take your vits and calcium every single day. I take Vista Vitamins, and 2,000 grams of calcium a day. When I turn 60, I do not want a hump on my back, and that's just what I'll have if I don't take care of myself now. I'd be lying if I said I got in the 64-80 oz of water everyday, because I hate to just sip water. But I make sure that when I take my vits and calcium, that I water load with them. I am sure I get at least 50-55 oz a day. I drink 2 bottles of Propel and that's 46 oz, plus my 24 oz decaf coffee, and other water, so I guess I am. Bu****er is tough -- just try to work on that. I can almost assure you, that if you took in 80-90 grams of protein, drank at least 64 oz of water a day, and exercised for no less than 30 minutes everyday --- with or without the surgery, you would loose weight every week. So with the surgery, just imagine the loss. This surgery and all that is required is a real ass kicker, and will be for the rest of our lives, and it sucks sometimes in a major way. But.... being fat sucks much larger! You have to work at it. My quote: "People do not make the change until the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of change." Spyder 357/276.5 -80.5
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views