You must read.....

on my W.
on 11/23/04 3:40 am - Canada
Hello Everyone, Thanks to all of you *****sponded to my recent post on crushing pills. What I was surprised to hear was that many of you were still trying to throw down those aweful calcium pills......STOP....You MUST run and get some Caltrate 600 soft chew chewables at the drugstore. You can take 2 a day and they come in chocolate or vanilla and they are like having candy. I look forward to taking them everyday with a tea and they are really and truly like dessert. You will never swallow another pill once you try these soft chews. Yummy...Yummy....Yummy .....Yummy. It makes life better to just have to try and take a multivitamin each day and somehow makes me feel normal. I don't even consider these medicine. Try them......I know it seems like I must be paid for this advertisement but they are really the best. Have a wonderful day all.... Karen. 290 - 214- 145
Debra O.
on 11/23/04 4:15 am - Chino, CA
I cant find these in calcium citrate though...where do you find the citrate insted of the carbonate ones? Our bodies cannot absord the nutrients in the carbonate.
sradcli74
on 11/23/04 4:29 am
Hi Karen, Debra is right, per my surgeon we can not absorb calcium carbonate, so calcium citrate is the choice. You should check with your surgeon to be certain. Teah
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/04 11:06 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Caltrate is the calcium carbonate, so there's not point in trying to find the citrate version. Believe me, I've looked! Lucky for me, I have no problems getting down regular-sized pills. I guess I could put that on my Thanksgiving thankful list...no nasty chewables! Pamela 352/288/278 by Christmas
Patima
on 11/23/04 11:07 am - GA
I use UpCal-D Calcium Citrate powder and love it. One small 1/2 teaspoon size scoop equals 500mg. Just add it to mashed potatoes, pudding or my shake twice a day and I'm set. And it is truly tasteless! I ordered it through vitalady dot com, and got the "to go" packets through valleynutrition dot com. Oh, and it is VERY economical! Patti
C J.
on 11/23/04 1:53 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Acording to my surgeon here is NO scientific proof that we do not absorb calcium carbonate or that we can only absorb 30 grams of protein at a time or that using straws is inherently evil. If anyone has proof please send it me, I've been searching medical data bases to no avail. My doc is looking into setting up clinical studies but hasn't started yet. Of course, we should all follow our docs advice but it doesn't hurt to ask them for proof and if they don't have proof, use your lab results as a guide to what you need to be doing. CJ
Shelly H C.
on 11/23/04 10:28 pm - New Castle, DE
Hello All, This topic about citrate vs carbonate comes up all the time. After speaking with a nutritionist I realized that it doesn't matter. I was advised that calcium citrate can be taken by itself and can be absorbed, whereas calcium carbonate should be taken with food to allow for maximum absorbtion. I have tried the chewables too. Viactiv makes all different flavors. I personally like the orange dream, but they make caramel, mint (yucky), strawberry cream, chocoate, etc... I would say if you have questions, contact a nutritionist to help you decide what is best for you. The only problem I have with the debate is that marketers are leaving the public confused. However, if your surgeon tells you to take citrate, I would do what the surgeon says. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone. ~Shelly
kberkihiser
on 11/24/04 9:51 am - Lancaster, PA
I spoke with my nutritionist about this and he paework i was given reads........ "calcium cabonate should be taken with meals for best absorption" So we can absorb it with food, but not alone Hope this helps Kristy B 306/241/165 -65
Tina P.
on 11/25/04 1:36 pm - St. Petersburg, FL
I take NOW! Calcium crave and they taste just like a tootsie roll. 2 every night as they can't be taken with the b complex as we all know. ~Tina~
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views