Jerky

JustHat
on 11/18/04 6:00 pm - NM
I know that there a several of us having trouble with foods. I was a big meat eatter before surgery. Even the smallest bite of beaf made me puke painfully. BTW, I had another scope on Tuesday and found that I have another stricture. They stretched it some, but I will need to go back to get up to the 12mm my surgeon wants. Anyway, a friend of mine kept suggesting jerky. She said it was a life saver for her after her surgery. Because of my meat issues, I never tried it...until tonight. It was great. I chewed it as it fell apart in my mouth. Because it has to be chewed so much, I didn't have to worry about eatting too fast. And, it satisfied a chewing craving I have been having. But, I have to tell you, my jaw muscles are really out of shape. They really got tired. It was totally worth it. Hat
Irene S.
on 11/18/04 9:02 pm - NJ
Yes! I love jerky. My absolute favorite is Jack Link's Turkey Jerky which I get at Walmart. I've even started making my own. It's perfect for our tiny pouches! And a concentrated source of protein. Sorry to hear about your stricture difficulties. Hope it's quickly a thing of the past. irene
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/04 9:38 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Hat, I'm glad you found a meat you can tolerate! Personally, I can't stand any type of jerky...as a kid, I thought jerky was dried out skins (like rawhide) and to this day, I just cannot bring myself to eat it. I've heard that jerky, especially turkey jerky, is a staple in most WLS patients' cabinets. Happy Chewing! Pamela -60
Tanja Y
on 11/19/04 12:54 am - Wahiawa, HI
I love jerky and when I get that overwhelming urge to grab something (anything) and eat.......I go for the jerky. The chewing and chewing helps control the beast lurking inside me.....lol. I got a phone call from my dad the other day saying he was gonna make me some homemade jerky that I can bring home with us when we go visit them in December. He makes his a mixture of deer and beef and it's so yummy. Plus...free! LOL Well free for me ~Tanja -107
JustHat
on 11/19/04 1:00 am - NM
Hey, I puked deer last week. My neighbor cooked up a batch and I couldn't resist. I knew it would come back up, so I was extra careful to chew really well. Too bad he didn't wait to make it until this week. I might have kept it down. You know I am just down the road from you. If you hear someone knocking on your door in the middle of the night, you'll know that Renee told me which house is yours. Congrats on your victory over the booth! I heard that you have been working out really hard too. Good job! If this jerky thing holds up, I am going to be back to working out soon too. Hat
JustHat
on 11/19/04 1:00 am - NM
Hey, I puked deer last week. My neighbor cooked up a batch and I couldn't resist. I knew it would come back up, so I was extra careful to chew really well. Too bad he didn't wait to make it until this week. I might have kept it down. You know I am just down the road from you. If you hear someone knocking on your door in the middle of the night, you'll know that Renee told me which house is yours. Congrats on your victory over the booth! I heard that you have been working out really hard too. Good job! If this jerky thing holds up, I am going to be back to working out soon too. Hat
IrishIze
on 11/19/04 1:04 am - NJ
Maybe I'll have to try jerky since I've had problems with meats / fish too. I've never tried it, but I'll look for some turkey jerky next time I go to the store.... Good luck with the stricture, Hat...you've certainly had your share of problems... Hugs, Nancy -72
JustHat
on 11/19/04 3:32 am - NM
You were the first person I thought of when it worked for me. We have a dehydrator. So, I figured I would try it bought to see if it would work. Next payday I am headed down to by some meat to make myself. That stuff is so expensive to buy. I wonder how much sugar is added to Turkey jerky. The recipe I have says to add brown sugar. I need to come up with a new recipe I guess. Good luck. Hat (256/176/150) down #80
C J.
on 11/19/04 5:15 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Glad to hear jerky is working for you. My DH makes it all the time. He never uses sugar in his. He just makes a marinade, soaks the meat overnight and puts it in the dehydrator. For beef he uses 1 can beef broth, garlic and onion powder, black pepper, worsieschter (sp) sauce, and any other spice he fells like throwong in. He also makes one with carne asada spice and beef broth, or prepared terriyaki with garlic sauce. he also adds jabenero powder to some. Good luck with your evperments making your own. CJ
IrishIze
on 11/19/04 9:29 pm - NJ
Well I tried the Oberto 'Edge' low carb turkey jerky last night and I kept it down!! It sure did take me a long time to chew it, but that's a really good thing because sometimes when I'm sitting watching TV, I feel the need to be eating something (guess we've all been down that road!!). The only thing I worry about is the sodium, but I guess it's not too bad for a couple of little pieces. Thanks for the tip, Hat! Hugs, Nancy -74
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1115 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views