Anyone else still barf a lot????

IrishIze
on 11/9/04 11:50 pm - NJ
I seem to throw up at least 5 or 6 days a week. It's usually at dinner time when I try chicken or fish or something. I just can't seem to tolerate those things, but I also get surprised sometimes and throw up a protein drink. I'm trying to figure out the reasons why, and I guess sometimes it's because I eat too fast or don't chew well enough. I worry about throwing up so much because I've heard about that damage that can be done to your esophagus and teeth when you do. I'm going to mention it to my doc at my next appointment in early December. I can eat peanuts or cashews without any problem, but can't get down tuna salad...what's up with that??? Anyone else still barfing a lot??? Hugs, Nancy -68
melissaross75
on 11/10/04 12:09 am - Cottage Grove, MN
For me I used to get sick alot. I have determined that if I don't drink enough between meals then I get sick when I eat. I always chew chew chew, but sometimes I eat things that don't need so much chewing and I will end up eating too many bites in a row and then it will get stuck or I'll the that stuck feeling and it's so uncomfortable I end up just getting the inevitable over with. Lately though I'm more concious of how much I am eating and how quickly so I don't have as many problems. Every once in a while I'll have a bad meal and it'll have to come back up. Like last night, I made a pasta dish and even though I had pasta several nights before, last night it didn't sit well, or maybe it was the hamburger, which is also something that I've been doing okay with. I'm not exactly sure what it was. So, to answer your question simply, I do still have episodes but it is getting better. Melissa -60
Deejay
on 11/10/04 12:53 am - Sparks, NV
wow Nancy thats alot of throwing up. I would definitely talk to your doc, I've been blessed without ever throwing up after surgery, I really feel for those of you who do get sick, I'm so sorry. I hope it stops for you. Hugs, Deejay 257/195/150 -62
Debra O.
on 11/10/04 4:04 am - Chino, CA
I still throw up about once a week, but its usually for some stupid reason like I was hurrying or not chewing good enough. I'm learning what foods to stay away from. Nancy, if chicken and fish make you throw up why are you still eating them. My Dr. says if a certain food makes you throw up wait a month and try it again next month...dont continue to torture yourself. ~Debra
susan C.
on 11/10/04 4:22 am - vicksburg, MS
hey nancy, we had surgery the same day and down about the same wieght. and yes i still throw up alot. my stomach is pickey, pickey pickey. what sat on it today will not sit good tomorrow. chicken may or may not stay down. it has to be baken, skinn off and very juicy. baked fish, forget it. barf. i can handle a good meatloaf, stoffers lasana (sp) a very small hamburger patty and thats a maybe, crab legs, shrimp boiled, and i can eat nuts and cheese with no problems. just hang in there, they say it gets better. also i try to increase my chewing from 30 to 40 times. gets tiring, but i don't eat to much at a time. anytime i eat in a hurry, its coming up. also, i know its a nono, but i have to take a small sip or two during eating. if not, its coming back. hang in there love, we'll lose together. susan
Adrienne C.
on 11/10/04 11:07 am - Mahwah, NJ
Hi Nancy, Only like in the last 3 weeks or so I've noticed that my average of 2-3 barfs a week have finally started to decrease. I got sick twice at work (not pleasant at all) but mainly when I threw up it was in the evenings around dinner time. My nutritionist suggested that I try eating more of my proteins earlier in the day and eat a bit lighter for dinner and see if that has an impact. I believe it has made a difference. It's really so hard to say what makes you throw up from one day or one meal to the next. I still cannot eat chicken or meat. I can eat sashimi though. Sometimes I can eat shrimp and sometimes I can't eat it. I can eat almonds and a few cashews but for some reason they sit "lighter" in my stomach if they are slightly salted than not. I can't explain that at all since I haven't cooked or used salt on my food in years. Also - if I drink water on an empty stomach I feel like I'm going to throw up . . . but it hasn't happend, yet. The only advise I can offer is maybe try to eat more proteins earlier in the day and less later.....and stay away from the chicken for a few weeks. Since I've started to not throw up as regularly as I had been I've started to feel generally even better overall. Hopefully it's nothing really serious for you and just one of those "we all react differently" things and soon it will pass and get better for you. Take care! Adrienne -60 as of yesterday - yeah!!
JulieSM
on 11/11/04 3:54 am - Hesperia, CA
I find I throw up at work, when I eat lunch and am not active afterwards. It's a hard situation, but I do hope it gets better you all of us!!!
JustHat
on 11/12/04 12:36 am - NM
Still do everyday and often more than once. Sometimes it is an easy up where it shoots out and I am finished. There times it is painful and takes between 30 minutes and 7 hours to go away. In the last two days, I have had 6 cashews (late last night) because that is all that would finally stay down. My doc is fine with this. He has actually said that it is a good thing because it keeps me honest with my diet. My nutritionist, OTOH, is not happy about the low food intake. Last month she suggested that even if nothing is staying down, I try and eat 2 soda crackers every 2-3 hours. She said that a post-op tummy can be like a pregnant tummy. That didn't work, so last week she put me on a liquid diet again. I was drinking two SlimFast and one protein shakes a day. She did agree to let me have cashews with the agreement that if I threw them up, I would give them up for the rest of the week. It was so weird to go 4 days without throwing up. Monday I am going in for another scoping. I had to insisted since, like I said, my doc doesn't think it is a big deal to not be able to keep anything down. I am at the point where this is really worrying me. At my current weight loss, I will hit my goal at the end of this year. But, if I can't eat, I will bypass it. And, within the next month, I will lose my medical coverage. If there is a problem and they don't fix it now, then I won't have the money to fix it later on. And, if I have another stricture, I am going to be stressed that I am likely to get more. But, if nothing shows up as being wrong, then I am stressed that my eatting problems are going to continue. Someone else mentioned to me about the esophagus and teeth damage from throwing up. As far as the teeth go, I don't think there will be any. That is usually the result of stomach acids. I don't have any any longer. But, I do worry about damage to my esophagus because my throat gets really sore after the violent puking. BTW, I chew really well and don't over eat or eat too fast. Hat
Lalocaweta
on 11/12/04 9:27 am - Spicewood, TX
Nancy: I certainly do...(Mentioned it a number of times on here and all the time in my profile!!!) Had a sonogram done on Thursday of my gall bladder - waiting for results to see if that is the problem. I have given up trying to find out the reason...as there was no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I can eat quickly and have no problems - and then sometimes eat slow and it come right back up. Sometimes chicken does great and sometimes it does not. The worst times are when I can just barely make it to the bathroom - thankfully - the projecttile vomiting is not as frequent as it was. DO mention it to your doctor - mine said grequent culprits are gall bladder and some type of bacteria infection in the stomach. All I know is that it SUCKS. Anne
MarinaS
on 11/13/04 3:17 am - Small Town, WA
After my fourth scope last week I can now eat without getting sick, vomiting, and/or being in agony with pain. I can actually eat for the first time since surgery. It feels so good to be semi normal. They expanded my stoma to achieve this, but it was worth it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views