Iron - how much do you take?

IrishIze
on 11/9/04 12:55 am - NJ
I don't really know how much iron I'm supposed to be taking. I had a hysterectomy five years ago, so I know I don't require as much as I once did. It also binds me up terribly. I've been taking 1 tablet of Ferrous Sulfate 28 mg Iron every three days or so. I'm due to have blood drawn in two weeks for my check up in the beginning of December. How much iron are you taking? Hugs, Nancy -68
sradcli74
on 11/9/04 3:09 am
Hi Nancy, Prior to the surgery I used to take 200mg twice daily because of heavy periods. However, I had my bloodwork done a few weeks ago and the only thing I was low on was potassium. Since I've had the surgery my periods are more regular so I don't have to worry about the additional blood loss. I eat red meat a couple times a week and I also get iron from my pre-natal vitamin, but other than that I don't take additional.
Shrinking-Violet
on 11/9/04 3:40 am - Maricopa, AZ
Nancy: I don't take additional iron either, only what is in my multi-vitamin. I've had several blood tests since surgery and it must not be a concern to my surgeon or he would have mentioned it. I have had low potassium though and was on potassium supplements for a while. Thankfully that is over! Before surgery I was borderline anemic and I had a hard time taking iron. Iron pills made me feel sooo sick to my stomach. Plus mucho constipation! Which is already an issue :p heh. I think that I will ask my surgeon on my next visit about the iron though. Angela C. 229/179/140
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/04 4:00 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I only take the iron in my multi-vitamin. I was told not to take additional iron until after I have bloodwork...whenever that may be. Maybe at six months... Pamela scale moved to -59
AngelFlyingHappy
on 11/9/04 4:05 am - Oxnard, CA
Nancy: I was told that iron should only be taken by women in their child bearing years, I dont know how old you are.......but thats the guideline they use. I dont take additional iron, just whats in my multi. Michelle -71
Debra O.
on 11/9/04 4:13 am - Chino, CA
I dont take any iron. I had my bloodwork done a few weeks ago and my levels are all fine too, and I still get my period, so you might not need to take it Nancy. Hugs, Debra
MarinaS
on 11/9/04 2:24 pm - Small Town, WA
My blood work showed I needed more iron. I take Nature Made 65 mg each morning. I get mine at COSTCO. I too had constipation until two weeks ago when I was able to get in 64 oz of water a day. Made all the difference. I am still crushing my pills, because of all my complications, so just grind the iron with the others. I mix the powder with crystal lite, or diet splash. Not too bad. I am used to nasty tasting things now.
on my W.
on 11/10/04 2:57 am - Canada
HI Nancy, Why don't you just wait until you have all the bloodwork done and then let your physician tell you if you are down in iron. I SURE wouldn't take it if I didn't have to...Constipation....yuck...plus it can take up to 90 days to actually start to work. I just had blookwork done yesterday and will know tomorrow what my levels are. He tested for everything under the sun and will do so at the 6, 9 12 and then twice a year after unless I become symptomatic. I have been feeling soooo tired these last few weeks that I am sure something is down. I can't wait to find out on Thursday but even though I think my iron is down...I didn't start to take a supplement because you don't want to take it unless you really have to. Best of luck...I hope your labs are fine in 2 weeks. You didn't say if you were having some of the iron deficiency syptoms...fatigue, headache, heart palpatations, moodiness......if so...do try and get in sooner for bloodwork. I feel better knowing that I my Dr. will have a clear picture of what is going on...Take care Karen -72
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views