QUESTION ABOUT HAIR LOSS

CAROL H.
on 11/8/04 9:15 pm - FAIRBORN, OH
Does anyone know why we lose hair? My hair loss is beginning to scare me! Approximately how long do we go through this before it ceases?
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/04 9:29 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I think it's supposed to slow down sometime around six months, maybe a bit later. Don't worry, it will all grow back! Pamela -59
melissab
on 11/8/04 9:52 pm - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
My hair is falling out pretty darn rapidly too. Started a week or so ago, and already it is noticable. My son thought I'd had a haircut!!! Nope, no haircut needed I know that many people have hair loss. I know that it will grow back. I know it isn't supposed to feel like the end of the world. I knew going into this that it would happen. I still don't regret my surgery, it is the best thing I have ever done for myself (down 78lbs since July 28 RNY, 58lbs to goal). But I still cringe at each ball of hair I find, each time I have to dehair the back of my shirt, each time I have to unclog the shower drain Just wanted you to know you aren't alone, even though I have no answers My surgeon and nutritionist push the "protein will help" issue, but are also realistic that no matter how much you comply with the protein intake, hair loss is just part of this whole process. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your hair loss doesn't continue too long or become noticable. Hang in there! I'm right there with ya! Melissa
Jessica Senez (Lash)
on 11/9/04 2:00 am - MD
Mine stared doign that too.. Its LACK OF PROTEIN even if we are taking protein suplements sometimes our bodies need even more so i suggest MORE MORE MORE MOREMORE protien as much as possible and IT STOPS THE LOSS>. its actually funny it does wonders for you hair it made mine shinny and vibrant and it doesnt take long to start working
PURESWEETS
on 11/9/04 5:40 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN, I WAS SCARE WHEN I START TO LOSE MY HAIR THEN I WAS MORE SCARE WHEN I START TO SEE MORE AND MORE HAIR COMING OUT. I READ FOR SOMEBODY IN HERE TALKING ABOUT SOME SHAMPOO THAT HELPS. I WENT TO SALLY'S AND I FOUND THIS SHAMPOO AND WEEKLY TREATMENT CALL FOLLICURE AND IT WORKS I CAN SEE LESS HAIR FALLING OUT. I THINK YOU SHOULD TRY IT. IT WORKS FOR ME. ANY QUESTION E-MAIL ME. CARMEN 260-210-150
Traci72
on 11/10/04 3:01 am - Hastings, MN
Funny you should ask about this. Here is an excerpt from a newsletter I get by Barbara Thompson. Hope this helps somewhat. I know what you're dealing w/though.....I swear that if I lose any more hair, I'll need a wig! "During the question and answer period when I speak, I am always asked about hair loss. Hair loss is a cruel thing to have happen. It occurs about the fourth or fifth month, when you have lost some weight, but are still not yet happy with yourself. I don't know about you, but when heavy, there were only 2 things I liked about myself. I liked my blue eyes and my hair. I hated everything else. To consider losing one of the only two things I liked about me would have been awfully hard to take. Fortunately, I was one of the majority that did not lose hair. Here is an excerpt from my book on the topic of hair loss. I hope it helps to clarify and give hope to those who are nervous about hair loss. Hair Loss There is good news and bad news. The bad news is that one third of the people who have weight loss surgery lose up to one half of their hair. It actually comes out in handfuls. The hair loss usually starts around the third or fourth month. It seems to be caused by the body's reaction to the trauma of surgery. The bad news continues. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. Keeping up your protein, taking zinc pills and biotin may help a little, but not enough to really make much of a difference for most patients. Minoxidil products may limit how much you will lose, but if your body reacts this way, the use of these products and medication will not help. I have never known anyone who has lost all of his or her hair; so don't think that this surgery will result in your looking like a cue ball! Getting your hair cut in a shorter style makes it look fuller, so that is an option. Not everyone experiences hair loss. But if it is you, it can be very traumatic while you are going through it. I was one of the lucky ones. I didn't experience any hair loss at all. Now, here is the good news. It comes back because the hair loss is only temporary. Around the fifth or sixth month, it starts to grow back in. Soon you have your normal head of hair back. And you can then breathe a sigh of relief!" Traci 248/186/130
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views