Question??? New to the board

Claudia S.
on 11/4/04 2:42 pm - Carol Stream, IL
I am wondering if anyone has started to loose their hair? I am wondering why I can eat beef jerky or Wendy's chilli, but not meat that I cook, even in broth, low fat? I have already had 2 colds, so wondering if your immune system is compromised by this surgery? I am very careful to wash my hands often. I seem to have no problem eating cheese, even regular cheese, but a speck of fat on meat and I am sick, not sure why? Why can we eat things one day and not the next, what changes? Anyone know? Does anyone eat Flaxseeds? Why? And how do they taste? How is your energy level? Mine seems not to be what I expected with the weightloss of 72lbs. Must say stairs are much easier. Appreciate any help or advice. Thanks
C J.
on 11/4/04 4:20 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Claudia, Welcome to the July board. So far, no hair loss..I've been taking Biotin since before surgery as well as trying to make sure I get in at least 60 grams of protein a day. as for foods..who knows..for me the biggest thing is eating slowly or else I get sick. Never tried flaxseeds, I think they are supposed to increase your consumption of essential fatty acids..check out Tooters website..I know she has a lot of info on flax. I haven't been sick since surgery, and I am just now noticing an increase in my energy level. On a scale of 1-10 energy wise, I was a 2 preop and fell like a 4 now...a very slow increase in energy. And like you said, with 63 pounds gone the stairs are much easier! Have a good night CJ
Claudia S.
on 11/5/04 1:53 pm - Carol Stream, IL
CJ, Thanks for the welcome. I am also taking the Biotin, and doing my best on protein. This second cold has me down, and scared to death about the flu. Shots are not available in our area, and I qualify. You are doing great with your weightloss. Claudia
CAROL H.
on 11/4/04 9:19 pm - FAIRBORN, OH
Yes, I'm losing a lot of hair! And I have done preventative measures like taking Biotin supplements and using expensive Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I hope it stops falling out soon! I just recently have been feeling tired. Don't know what to attribute it to. I have not had problems eating anything, but I guess I haven't tried anything like a steak yet. Everything else goes down easy. Too easy if you ask me. I haven't had any colds yet, but I usually don't. Hope this info helps!
Claudia S.
on 11/5/04 1:56 pm - Carol Stream, IL
Best of luck on the hair. Mine was thin to begin with, so I am nervous. Continued good health, mine is not doing as well. Thanks for the help. Claudia
IrishIze
on 11/4/04 10:03 pm - NJ
Hi Claudia and welcome!! I am noticing a few more hairs in the sink after I blow dry - not a lot, but more than usual. I have been taking Biotin for the last month or so, so hopefully that will help. I had a cold a couple of weeks ago, but attributed it to the season - my sons had it and everyone at work seemed to have it. IMO, I'm healthier now than I have been in a L-O-N-G time! I also wonder why it is I can eat peanuts and cashews, but can't eat a tender piece of chicken cut into tiny pieces. Last night I had a piece of chicken marsala, cut it up small and put some sauce on it to help soften. I chewed and chewed and after about 5 bites, I was running to the sink and up it came. I had the 'foamies' for about an hour afterwards. I ended up having some soy crisps and cream cheese for dinner, and for the first time since surgery, about an ounce of Cheetos crunchies. Now, that I can keep down, but not chicken????? I also get sick on tuna, tilapia, and turkey; but I can eat meatloaf. I can't figure it out. I can't remember when I had the energy that I have now. Last Saturday I was like a whirlwind - I couldn't stop - raking, vacuuming, dusting, putting up drapes, walking. I tried to lay down for a nap and was back up within 15 minutes...I LOVE it!!! I do find myself going to bed earlier at night, but that's because I repaced my 'after work' nap with a walk. Hugs, Nancy -67
Claudia S.
on 11/5/04 2:05 pm - Carol Stream, IL
Nancy, I can eat the nuts and cashews, but not the meat. I have been taking biotin, but guess we shall see if it works. As we are all around the same surgery date, wondered if it had started with anyone, the hairloss that is. I have found with meat that if it has any seasoning on it at all it is more likely to come up or cause foamies. I have no problems with crackers or pretzels, but bread is a huge no no. I think my energy is low because of these colds. Today I slept til Noon! UGH! Thanks for your reply, continued good luck on your weightloss. Claudia
Deejay
on 11/5/04 2:12 am - Sparks, NV
Welcome Claudia, my hair is falling out big time too. I don't take anything extra for it, I've heard it doesn't matter what you take, if its gonna fall out it will. My dr said our immune system is really put to the test with this surgery, I've had strep throat once and 2 colds since surgery on July 19th but I also have 3yr old triplets in preschool so that could be why too. My energy is great, no prob there, I have no prob with stairs now thank god. I have trouble eating scrambled eggs but can do beef jerky and chicken and anything else just fine. Its really weird how some things you can tolerate fine and others not. Sounds like your doing great though. Welcome aboard! Deejay 257/195/150 -62
Claudia S.
on 11/5/04 2:09 pm - Carol Stream, IL
Deejay, First off I am amazed that you could have this surgery and then take care of 3 yr. old triplets!!!!!!!! Must be your age compared to mine, I am an old dog. The colds are terrible, and I have now had one after the other, glad to hear I am not the only one, not that I wish anyone illness. I just don't get the hard dry beef jerky compared to say a steak??? Confuses the heck out of me. Thanks for the welcome, and enjoy those triplets, wish I was the grandma! Claudia
kberkihiser
on 11/5/04 4:54 am - Lancaster, PA
Yup... losing my hair - I started using nioxxin shampoo and I am noticing some new peachfuzz which is good Not sure about the meats, I have issues with meats some days and not others. depends on tenderness, how dry etc. broth, I have no idea that one is a bit bizaar -- is it too fatty?] I had one cold since my surgury, got over it quickly -- lost plenty of weight during it. No immune issues that I know of. My nutritionist says meats are hard for us for a while sometimes up to 6 months or more -- no stomach acid I have see others refer to this as the grouchy pouchy - we all have bad pouch days and good pouch days. I do think it has it's own personality some days. Never eaten a Flaxseed - what is it? My energy is better this week - I added B12 and an extra vitamin for iron and it has improved... those days are also hit and miss. Sounds like you are doing fine -- just dealing with grouchy pouchy Kristy B 306-242-165
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views