R U eating Red Meat? Salad? Veggies? Fruit?

Angie S
on 10/27/04 1:56 pm - Cody, WY
Hello My July Family! I have noticed alot of you are eating The Above items. I am so jealous! My Doc has me still on Poultry and seafood no roughage, no fruit. How many of you are following your doc's advice? How many of you are just eating these items on your own with no doc's orders either way? And if that is the case are you having more or less weightloss? My Doc is very strict. I can't have veggies but for beans & potatoes (and honestly I am so sick of them). No salad yet! And I am dying for a piece of hamburger meat(grilled of course) and a salad! Even a Carrot or slice of cucumber! I also want big juicy piece of catalope or watermelon! I am dying here! I am so limited that food does not even sound good anymore! I have to LITERALLY Force myself to eat anything! Please respond! I am a meat and veggie kinda Gal! And I am so jealous of all of you that post of eating the above foods! Thanks in advance, Much Love, Angie -72 lbs There are only so many ways to eat chicken, tuna, turkey, shrimp and fish! And the sad thing is I used to LOVE SEAFOOD, Tuna and Chicken! Now I want to gag when I eat it!
bunnymorris
on 10/27/04 2:25 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Angie, I have been fortunate in eating meat--everything seems to go down fine unless I eat too fast or too big of bites. Raw vegetables on the other hand do give me some trouble--usually cramping in my lower intestines. I haven't tolerated raw but cooked seems ok. Nuts are not on the menu either but peanut butter is great. No whole grain type stuff for now. My doctor just says try it and see what happens. Use common sense. fruit is good in small quanitiies. I really like spicy and tart things. I know though what you mean. Some days I just sigh and don't see anything good to eat. So I keep looking until something strikes me. Some days I eat more than others just because of boredom. Eggs used to be a favorite and now.......yuck! My weight loss has been fine--average. 57 lbs. since July 22 (lost about 10-15 before that). If I'm not sure about something I just call our dietician and follow her advice. This will pass Angie. Hang in there. You really are doing great! Love, Bunny
JustHat
on 10/27/04 3:26 pm - NM
At 8 weeks, I was allowed to start trying solid foods. It should have been like introducing foods to a baby. But, I still can't eat much of anything. Day before yesterday, I ate nothing. Yesterday, I only some nuts stayed down. Today, I had an ounce of fake crab stay down. Not much help, eh? I am down 65 pounds. But, I bet I would be down more if I could eat more. Hat
AngelFlyingHappy
on 10/27/04 10:16 pm - Oxnard, CA
I am allowed to have everything except Beef, Pork, Popcorn and Grapes and I can have those at six months out. I have tolerated everything thus far. But I am very sick of chicken!!!
jewelcrown
on 10/28/04 1:07 am
My Dr's basic orders for 7 weeks post op and beyond: 2 fruits 2 vegetables 2 fats 2 starches 6 protein (any type of lean meats, cheese, peanutbutter or protein shakes -- 60-70 grams total) No fast foods. No fried foods. No sugar. No junk food (chips, nuts, popcorn, etc.) limit 600-700 calories per day I can't say I haven't strayed, because I have. (I've discovered Snackwell sugar free cookies -- which quickly increases the caloric intake!) On the weeks I stick to the Drs. edict, I do well. So far I'm down 50 lbs. I can't handle raw fruits and vegetables yet. As long I chew beef well, it's okay. Under your Drs. edict, the weight is bound to come off faster. It is my understanding that "the tool" only works for awhile, so make the best of it!
Debra O.
on 10/28/04 5:18 am - Chino, CA
Im the same as you...My Doc says no red meat, raw veggies, salad, until 6 months out. The reason why is because these foods are very hard to digest, so why put your already sore pouch through trying to digest these things until the Dr. says its ok. I still eat alot of very soft foods because I got tired of throwing up all the time. Yogurt is my friend now, and before surgery i hated yogurt...lol. I love making soup too, and with cold weather coming, i'll be making a big pot of soup at least once a week. last week i made Chicken Tortilla soup...Yummy, i ate it for 3 days.
Tina I.
on 10/28/04 9:23 pm - Minot AFB, ND
Hey Angie, My nutritionist gave me a pamphlet to follow and by 8 weeks, I could eat what I wanted as long as it was good choices and I ate my protein first. I eat bananas, berries, cantaloupe, hamburger, meatloaf (that goes down very easy). When I went to the doc at 4 weeks and told him all I could stomach was homemade meatballs in marinara sauce, he told me that was an excellent choice. For veggies, I usually just stick with green beans because they are easy to chew and go down. I would ask your doc again and pretty soon, hopefully you can move up. How long did he say until you can have those things? Tina open rny 7-6-04 319-230-159
bugsmom
on 10/29/04 2:01 am - In Mom's House, CA
My doctor advised that I start trying different foods at my one month check up. The only restrictions have been alcohol, red meat, and ofcourse anything carbonated. I see him again in November. I'll admit I've cheated and indulged 3 times and eaten red meat, all ground beef. I eat popcorn and fruit and salads, lots of shrimp and turkey. I don't seem to tolerate things like noodles or cereal too well but I sometimes eat them anyway. I'm fortunate in that I've only thrown up once and have only dumped once since my surgery. I've lost over 60 pounds so far, hoping for another 40. Every doctor is different, as we've all learned. I hope you are tolerating chicken. I don't so much. Merritt
Julianne L.
on 10/30/04 3:31 am - Las Vegas, NV
Dear Angie, Hi! I had my open rny done on July 19th, at 257, and am down to 192 as of this morning... I had a lot of trouble eating at first, and relied on tomato juice to get me thru the days. I just couldn't eat pureed foods. But since my Dr. put me on solids, as of 6 wks, I have been experimenting with most foods. He is against taking liquid protein, and wants us to eat regular foods, as soon as possible, in very small amounts, of course... I find I can't eat hamburger... too much "extras" in the meat, but I can eat some beef roast, if it's medium rare. I only have luck w/ chicken dark meat. I have even had 1 piece of pizza! I make a lot of soups, and puree them with a hand-held mixer. That way I can get my meat & veggies in one bowl. There were some fantastic recipies in the Sunday magazine from the newspaper last weekend. I can eat soft scrambled eggs, and oatmeal or farina/cream of wheat for breakfast, but not cold cereals. I also drink a large cup of tea before eating breakfast. I have some trouble with tuna and fish... shrimp are too hard for me, but I made some shrimp creole that went down fine! I have trouble with chicken also, unless it's mixed in with veggies and a sauce. I eat a lot of yogurt and soft cheese w/ bagel chips or melba toast. I can eat a salad... w/ thinly sliced raw veggies. i.e. radish, cucumber, tomato, avacado. But, I have some trouble w/ fruit... eat mostly canned. I do have good luck w/ cantaloupe, if I let it sit out a few days to ripen. Watermelon was hard for me to eat, and most fruits aren't ripe enough so they hurt. I do something that my Dr. forbid though... I drink Pierie water before my meals... I found I was craving soda so much, and at least this has nothing in it except the natural bubbled water. I also found some natural soda, in the fancy water section, or at a health food store... It's made of natural products... no sugar or added carbonation, just natural bubbles. It kills my craving for Cokes (which I can't stand the taste of now) When I crave something sweet, I eat one of those small cups of jello (not the sugar free type), as I can't stand the taste of artificial sweetners anymore... For that reason, I do not eat anything that's "diet"... I dont' eat sugar other than that, except for some honey in my tea, or what's in the products I'm eating, i.e., yogurt. I don't have breads or cakes... but I've had a miniture chocolate twice. I feel that I'm eating well, my bloodwork comes back as normal. But I won't lie to you... I miss many foods (McDonald's) but feel the small sacrifice I'm making is well worth it! I haven't been this "small" in years, and just bought a pair of woman's jeans size 14!!! I look 10 yrs younger! I take a Woman's 1 a day vitamin, plus B-12 and a stomach acid reducer every day, that's it... Even though I had complications with my surgery, I have caught up with those that had normal surgery, and now have good energy. I go to see Dr. Fisher next Monday, and can't wait til he sees me!!! Take care, Julianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views