What do you count?

IrishIze
on 10/22/04 2:03 am - NJ
I'm not really sure how many calories I should be getting. I average around 500 - 550 or so, but think I could eat more. Also, I've read on the main board that some people don't count fat or carbs, only protein. I post everything I eat on fitday.com, so I'm aware of how many calories, fat, carbs and protein I get. Sometimes it's hard juggling the protein as opposed to the carbs, etc. What do you do? Hugs, Nancy -61
Siouxsie Rodriguez
on 10/22/04 2:09 am - Temescal Valley, CA
I don't count fat or carbs, only protein ~Susan aka: Gr8ful4MyFamily in Sunny Southern California RNY Lap 7.14.04 278/205/ current goal :199!
Heather M.
on 10/22/04 2:21 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
I'm one of the bad people on here when it comes to this. I don't count, I don't weigh, I don't measure (except with water, I fill 3 20oz bottles a day two with water and one with crystal light peach tea and drink all three). The main focus of almost everything I eat is protein. Oh yeah I also start each day with a large cup of coffee with chocolate protein powder in it. 90% of the food I eat during the day are meats, cheese, beans. High protein stuff. I'm very opinionated in this area so I don't want to get into it and offend anyone. This is what works for me. I feel great and feel like I am acheiving what I wanted this surgery to do for me. When I look at what other people who started out close to what I did are doing I seem to be right there with them so I don't think that what I am doing and the way I'm doing it is affecting me in any negative way. I really think we have to do what is right for us even if every single person does something different. We are all adults and we know right from wrong. I know when I eat something that I shouldn't it's wrong but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Okay I'm taking a step back away from my soap box. he he he. I'm just saying don't let this surgery become a handicapp and use this tool the way you feel is best for you and that you are comfortable with. No matter what anyone else says (including myself) you have to be happy with yourself and the way you're living your life. You should wake up every morning smiling and go to sleep every night smiling. These are all just my opinions take them as you like. Heather
GailD
on 10/22/04 3:09 am - Racine, WI
Nancy: Since surgery, I've been counting protein and calories, only. I keep a daily journal. I tried to do Fitday but I found it to be too cumbersome so I decided to do the paper journal. Now that I'm close to three months out, I found I wasn't as faithful on keeping the journal. Plus, I really don't want to track everything I eat forever. I don't want this to feel like a DIET!!! At this point I know what I can eat..and I'm pretty much eating the same thing day after day...so it seems like kind of a waste of time for me to track my food. For the past week I haven't written down anything...and I'm still losing and feeling fine. I'm just going to try it for a couple of weeks. I see the nutritionist mid-November so I'm sure she'll set me straight if she doesn't like the idea. Gail D. 252/207/?
AngelFlyingHappy
on 10/22/04 5:39 am - Oxnard, CA
Nancy: My doctor said we dont eat enough to worry about calories. So I go mostly by the protein and make sure how many sugar grams there are. Our bodies need some fat.
melissab
on 10/22/04 5:43 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
I am careful to get in as much protein as I can, but I have stopped counting even that. I don't want to be a slave to anything, and I know from my blood work that I'm on track with what I'm doing. I head for protein first and make wise food choices. I know I'm not overeating, and on days where I have super low calorie foods I try to add in a protein bar or something which ups the protein and the daily calories. I have learned that hard way that not enuf calories means slowed down weight loss. I do check labels when buying foods to ensure there is value in what I am eating, that sugar content is low or no sugar, that they aren't carb crazy foods. But other than that, I am trying also to avoid being a slave to a journal or having to monitor each bite I take of something. I am proud that I've learned the "okay you are done, you are full, stop eating" thing. I am proud that when I do cheat (none of us are perfect) that it is not a super bad cheat, that it isn't frequent, and that I don't rediscover old bad habits. I will admit that I've had a small handful of my son's Doritos' twice in the past few weeks. I also had 4 pretzels one day. I have had a cookie on 3 occassions. I figure that I'm not overdoing it by enjoying something that is so-called forbidden, from time to time in tiny amounts. Not everyone will agree, some will think I'm going to "gain my weight back" or "not use my tool to it's full potential". I don't stress about that at all, to each his own (honestly LOL). It IS working for me! I am a very different person, a different food selector, a different 'eater' all together. I now work out nearly daily, take aquafitness, walk much more than I did before. I am also, as Heather stated in her post, right on par with others who had surgery near to my surgery date. So it IS working for me! Best of luck, remember that despite how "I" do things, different things work for different people. Some of us need to keep ourselves "in check" by counting, or some are just more comfortable and more relaxed about things when they count/measure etc. Whatever works for you, whatever you feel better doing, go for it! We are all going to end up in the same place ... slimmer, healthier and happier! Regardless of how we get there, so long as we are all committed to ourselves and our tool. Melissa
Shrinking-Violet
on 10/22/04 6:27 am - Maricopa, AZ
I use Fitday religiously. Basically every time I eat something I quickly log onto Fitday and log it in for the day's food. I have created many custom foods by entering the nutrition (package) info from the foods that I eat most often, so it's really quick & easy to use Fitday for me. I also believe that because I am logging it in every time I eat something, it helps me to become more selective of what I put into my mouth. As far as counting, I try to watch everything- protein, fat, carb, AND calories. Here's what I try to stay within: Protein: 60-80g Fats: Under 30g Carbs: Under 30g Calories: 500-800 - Angela
kberkihiser
on 10/22/04 6:31 am - Lancaster, PA
My dr says we should be getting in at at least 950 calories a day. 75 grams of protein and 64 oz of liquid. I am doing well with tracking protien - mostly bc I dring one shake each day that is 50g I do not track calories, fat or carbs mainly liquid and protien. I know I rarely meet my caloric recommended requirement. I am going to start adding more calcium, My paperwork says calcium helps with weight loss too - and I know mine is low! Kristy 306/246/165
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/04 7:55 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I use fitday.com to log what I eat so I know how many grams of protein I am getting. Of course, the program also gives you a calorie count, so I asked my dietician what our calorie range should be. She told me that if I felt I NEEDED a number (because she recommends we don't bother about calories), I should try to stay under 1000. I keep my protein over 50, and my calories under 1000 (average of 800 or so). I should count my water, too, but don't...I just try to drink an entire pitcher of Crystal Light every day. Pamela 352/297/normal BMI
Monna W.
on 10/23/04 9:07 am - Susanville, CA
Nancy, I have counted calories for over 50 years. I no longer do that. I keep a running total of protein grams in my head each day and try for 60 grams. I usually make it, but sometimes not. I do not eat anything that has more than 6 grams of sugar because I know if I do I will get sick. I've found that even things sweetened with Splenda make me nauseated. I still eat quite a bit of carbohydrate, but no refined carbohydrate--that comes from my years as a vegan. I pay attention to how much fat is in something, but I am not obsessed with it. As my doctor told me, this is a tool not a slave driver. As Heather said, this is what works for me and helps keep me sane. Monna 389/313/?
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views