Measuring your food

sradcli74
on 10/20/04 4:10 am
Hi all, I read a lot of posts about how much we should be eating at one time and I am curious to know how others measure their food. For instance a 1/4 cup of lettuce is not the same as 2oz of lettuce, because lettuce weighs very little. Lately, I have been using a scale just to measure my meat and I usually have a couple tablespoons of vegetables or whatever else I am eating. Do some of you just take a plate and measure the total weight of the meal you are eating? Curious
AngelFlyingHappy
on 10/20/04 4:15 am - Oxnard, CA
I do!!! I first weigh the plate. Then I weigh the food. Very handy!!!
MinnieMia
on 10/20/04 4:25 am - SC
Our program says 2-4 oz by volume (cups) not weight because we're concerned about how much the food weighs but how big it is size wise...it has to fit in the pouch. I bought a scale and it's been totally wasted money. I can weigh out 4 oz lunch meat and i could never ever eat that much. I can eat 1 oz by weight of that. Volume wise it's about right, though...1/4ish cup.
Shelly H C.
on 10/20/04 4:27 am - New Castle, DE
Hi Lady Teah, I weigh my meat on a scale. Since it is so little, I place it right on the scale, especially since I am the only one using it. I measure out my veggies and side if I chose to have one. I don't weight lettuce. Maybe I should, but when I am eating a salad, I may scoop out about 1/2 cup of lettuce (it chews down to nothing), maybe 1/8 cup of tomatoes and cucumbers, and then I will measure out the chicken, ham, and egg I put on the salad. ~Shelly
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/04 11:19 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I use measuring cups...when I'm a good WLS patient. Sometimes I just eyeball it. For my sides, I generally take about 2tbs of each thing, maybe up to 1/8 of a cup. I don't normally weigh my meat or measure it, although I try to use the visual of "a deck of cards" to measure 3oz. Generally, I eat the meat first, and sometimes I get to my sides, sometimes not. I really SHOULD consistently measure my foods, but it's not a very convenient practice. Pamela -52
Heather M.
on 10/21/04 2:23 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Guess I'm a bad person. I don't weigh or measure my food anymore. To be honest I never really did. I usually just eyeballed it. Now I just eat very slowly making sure I chew my food and at the first sign I feel full then I stop. I may resume after 10 - 15 minutes or not if I do it usually only another bite maybe two. I did this surgery not only for my health but I didn't want my weight to become a handicapp for me. I also feel like walking around with a scale and measuring cups is also just as much a handicapp. My main goal is retraining myself. I needed to learn to know when to stop when I'm full and to know what foods I need to eat first. Now these are just my meager opinions and I do not wish to offend anyone. I think everybody is different and everyone needs to do what works best for them. Heather
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views