Tanja Y
on 10/18/04 6:51 am - Wahiawa, HI
My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery sooner! ~Tanja -92 pounds
Vivi *.
on 10/19/04 2:29 am - clermont, FL
OMG!! "DITO" Flavia
Jamie D.
on 10/18/04 7:06 am - Ontario, CA
I have to agree with the majority on this one---yes yes yes. My RNY was 7/19/04 and i'm down 67 lbs. Even though I'm on a plateau right now, I'm ok with it. I played soccer with my 5 yr old son this weekend and before I would have said play with daddy or something. It really makes me realize how much of life I missed before and it feels good to be living again. I have no major complaints other than missing certain foods and I tolerate most everything already so I'm a happy camper. Dieting before this, yeah right, the rebound effect always took place before the starvation effect so no, I don't think that a strict diet would have been the solution. For me, part of this is genetic and part was poor eating choices but this was my last resort and I'm grateful for every second of it.
Dj _.
on 10/18/04 7:25 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Nancy, Great question. I'm still not sure. I've lost 69 pounds since surgery, and I'm under 200 (190) for the first time in over 10 years. I do like wearing smaller clothes that fit better, feeling better about myself, etc. But...I have had such a hard time from week to week with food, that it is shadowing my excitement at the moment. For the last 2 weeks, each time I eat, I get what I call a stomach ache...last a couple of hours. I'm only eating less than 1/4 cup, 3 times a day. I am here though, and the surgery is complete, and I'm thankful for the chance to lose weight and be healthier...but knowing what I know now, I may not have had the surgery. I'm hoping things settle in for me, and I have that excitement that all of you have about the 'tool'. Deb
Sandy S.
on 10/18/04 9:34 pm - Surry, United States
Would I do it again? Tough question! I was told I had less than 5 years to live, and that I really didn't have a choice other than to have the surgery. And for that reason, I am so happy I did this! I have lots more years now to enjoy watching my kids with their kids, etc. I do have more energy, and I love the person who looked back at me from the mirror this morning, I wasn't sure that I even recognized her! I am off 11 meds now, I never expected that to happen! But there are days I have no energy still, I have trouble sometimes getting the proteins in.....so many foods either don't appeal to me now, or make me sick, and I get discouraged when that happens. I watch my family eating all of their goodies, drinking their carbonated drinks, etc., and there is a little girl inside me screaming, "That's not fair!", and right, wrong, selfish or indifferent, that's how I feel sometimes! We just went to a big family reunion in Vermont, and out of all the food that was laid out, the only source of protein there that wasn't loaded with fat, or something worse, were cubes of cheese. I felt cheated , there they were, milling around, filling their faces with all sorts of yummy-looking food, and enjoying it! And the only thing that I could eat was cheese. On the way back to Maine, I told my DH that I wasn't sure that the surgery was the right choice, that sometimes I just wanted to be fat and happily nibbling away on jelly doughnuts and drinking my Diet Dr. Pepper. But then I look at this page, and I read every question or comment you all send in, and I realize that I am a very lucky woman! I live, and that is an accomplishment! I don't take handfuls of pills everyday, I breathe much easier now, I can do things I never dreamed of doing again, like walking a mile without collapsing! I can bend over now, I don't have to get on my knees to pet my dogs, and then wonder if I will be able to get up again. I can tie my shoes now, sit in any chair (instead of only sitting in the sturdiest ones), drive my car with the seat forward a little so that I can reach the steering wheel comfortably, and by gosh, I can drive right on by Dairy Queen and it doesn't hurt! So yes, I am glad that I had the surgery! Thanks for asking this question, and making me really think of my answer to this! Of course, a week ago, I might have answered differently. I don't know. But you all have made me think about life, my life. And what makes it good. And what is important. This board kleeps me going! I have rough days, and I come here, and it gets me through. Thanks to all of you, I can have a bad day and still get back on track. YES, I am glad that I did this! Sandy 290/230/165
bamasweetpea
on 10/19/04 1:29 am - Fayetteville, NC
I can't count the times I have asked myself this question. I usually would come up with the okay answer of yes. A couple of weeks after my surgery I had a bought with trapped air. One hospital in my hometown thought I had a blockage and I thought right then and there if only I could go back! After my Doctor told me it was trapped air I called and told my sister. She was so glad that I was alright but she said something that really made me think. She said I bet you would not have this surgery if you could do it again. I stopped and realized that yes I would too. I told her that yes I still would have it and I have not gotten to that wishy washy stage again. I still have a few thoughts but they only last a second. I also remember wishing a few years ago that I would get sick everytime I ate something that was bad for me. I also got that wish! We have dramatically changed our lives so it is okay to have moments with OH God what have I done to myself! Everyone hang in there we are on one heck of a ride straight down(weight wise that is). Love Ya'll Carrie
Micmomof3
on 10/19/04 6:50 am - Jacksonville, fl
How do you feel about your surgery? Would you do it again? Let's see, I honestly don't know if I would do it again. I actually doubt I would! I am very happy with the weight I have lost up to this point and truely have not had a major complications either. But............ I do hate getting sick off new foods I try, I hate that fact that I can't eat any meat without it comming up, I also hate that my beautiful hair is thinning and I don't miss the food as much as I did at first, but still I wish I would have thought longer and harder and tried one more good diet before I had the surgery. Of course at the time there was nothing no one could have said to talk me out of it. That's my answer and I am sticking to it! MICHELLE
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views