Would you do it again?

IrishIze
on 10/16/04 10:26 pm - NJ
OK, we're all in the three month post op stage. I'm wondering, knowing what you now know and having gone through all you have gone through, are you glad you had the surgery? I had a very difficult first couple of months. I had a stricture and an ulcer and spent nine days in the hospital. Still, I'd go through it all again to feel the way I do now. I feel so much healthier and happier. I do have my moments that I greive for certain foods, but they are fleeting. All I have to do is look in the mirror or be able to climb a flight of stairs without feeling like I'm going to faint to realize that those foods are NOT my friends!! I am still having problems with certain foods, but it's getting better. How do you feel about your surgery? Would you do it again? Hugs, Nancy -61
DramaQueenJessica
on 10/16/04 10:50 pm - Wayland, MA
"How do you feel about your surgery? Would you do it again?" I sure would. I, like you, miss some foods. But for the most part, I can eat anything I want.. within reason. No sugar for me.. I dump on it. I tend to just eat softer stuff... I dont like the way meats sit in my pouch, I gotta get over that tho.. lol. When in your life have you ever lost 61lbs with the possible guarantee of it being gone forever??? What a miracle. Jessica 253/181 -72
IrishIze
on 10/17/04 1:16 am - NJ
I have a problem with meats and fish too. I had tuna salad for lunch last week and I foamed and threw up for a couple of hours. I don't know if it's too dense or I don't chew enough or what. I tend to be a fast eater and I'm working on changing that and being very conscious of what I am doing when I eat. I was able to eat some chicken the other night. I had part of a chicken thigh - the dark meat is easier for me to chew. I find if I put some kind of sauce or gravy on it it goes down easier. I ate about 3/4 of the thigh and I was so excited!!! Tonight I am going to try tilapia fish. I loved it before surgery, so I can't wait to try it - I hope I do ok on it. Last year I was on Weigh****chers for 10 months and I lost about 39 lbs. before I started gaining again - now it seems like a drop in the bucket...... Hugs, Nancy -61
Patima
on 10/16/04 11:15 pm - GA
Would I do it again? IN A SKINNY MINUTE! I wake up in the morning ready to meet the day. Hubby asked me this morning what I was going to do and I said I was going to check my blood sugar and have a protein shake with calcium for breakfast! Who would have thought 3 months ago that I would wake up wanting a protein shake! Now we are surfing the net to find local events in the area to go to.....hmmmmm, the Mossy Creek Festival sounds fun! 3 months ago I had trouble just walking to the mailbox and back!!! Would I do it again? YOU BET! Patti
Kathy M.
on 10/16/04 11:44 pm - rockaway, ny
Absolutely! I have a very different relationship with food now. I still want a Milky Way very badly, but I've dealt with the desire for weeks. Just like an alcoholic I'm handling it one day at a time. I won't have one today and didn't have one yesterday. (The Halloween candy will stay in the car until Halloween) The big difference is even when I don't make the best choices one day, the next day I wake up and I'm still a WLS patient. I haven't blown it altogether and don't have to wait till Monday to start again. Unlike before I'm not playing the scale game. I only weigh myself at the doctor's. I know I'm not a fast loser like some of you, but I know I am losing and will continue to do so.
Heather M.
on 10/16/04 11:47 pm - Kirtland AFB, NM
Heck ya I'd do it again! Especially if I knew how I would do post-op. Before the surgery I went in thinking that there were many things I would never get to enjoy again but surprisingly I have yet to find anything that I can't eat or something that makes me dump. There are a few things that I'm leary of eating (I accomplished one this weekend by eating a salad, for some reason I was scared of lettuce). At this point and time I'm only reminded that I even had the surgery when I eat to fast, eat to much or don't eat for a long period of time. Other than that I feel great this is so much better than I could of imagined. Now my thoughts turn to me losing the rest of the weight and thinking that with a tummy tuck and a boob job I could be pretty hot. LOL Heather
IrishIze
on 10/17/04 1:19 am - NJ
Heather, I'm dying to try a salad, but I'm so afraid with my grouchy pouchy. Maybe tonight I'll just try a small bit with maybe a little tilapia fish in it. I'm nervous about it, but what the heck, I'll go for it. It's better than craving a banana split!! Hugs, Nancy -61
Gale P.
on 10/17/04 12:21 am - Salisbury, MD
would i do it agan??? yes, in a heartbeat. although i had a few complications in the beginning, i'm now feeling great. my back no longer hurts, i can walk for hours again, my energy level is up more and more every day. i too still have some problems with some foods, mostly meat i just don't like the way it feels in my pouch, but i continue to try it and i know that eventually it will get better. i only wish i had done it sooner. Gale -55
lily K.
on 10/17/04 12:36 am - brockton, MA
dear nancy would i do it again? IN A HEARTBEAT, i feel great and even tho the first six weeks were tough as you adjust to a new way of eating, losing 65 lbs(pre&post op total) wearing a size 16 jeans (haven't done that in 15 years!) and no medications now except for vitamins make the struggle all worth while, do i miss some things? sure, my diet pepsi!! can't take the carbonation, i miss having a slice of bread when i go out to eat but only for a split second, i can eat just about any thing, only small amounts and my tastes have changed. i was a real sugar junkie and i thought i would really miss all that junk food and surprisingly i don't. so yes i have been very pleased with my results so far and hope i can continue to lose and get even healthier!! lilykate
Tara118
on 10/17/04 3:11 am - Trenton, OH
Heck yeah!! I love what is happening to me. Even when I feel like I have the Thanksgiving Syndrome. (I made that up to describe when I put too much in my pouch and feel bad all evening like when you eat too much at Thanksgiving) It hasn't even been 3 months and I have lost 61lbs!! It is amazing. I can eat almost anything but sugar. I also was a big sugar freak and yes I do miss some sugary items but not as much as I thought I would. I am in the process of moving and when I went through my closet I found 3 pairs of pants that I tried on and 2 were way too big and the other one fit in the waist but were too big in the legs. For every pair I got so excited. I felt like a little kid giggling in my bedroom!! This is a true blessing we have recieved!! Tara 305/244/170
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views