Travel for work!

sradcli74
on 10/13/04 11:38 pm
Good Morning All, I have some great news to report, I'm at 230, down a total of 67 pounds after 11 weeks. I will also be taking my first flight as a post-op. I have to travel for work the week of 10/25, I'm excited but nervous at the same time. Excited because I want to see how much room I have in the airplane seat! Nervous because I am terrified of eating out every day for 5 days. In the past when I have traveled, I tended to have bad behavior in restaruats, I would do the appetizer, wine, beverage, entree and dessert. I know I can no longer eat this way, but none the less it terrifies me. The other thing is when I am traveling in the field I tend to work longer hours with fewer regular breaks, so I may go longer between meals,so it may be harder to make decent food choices! Then on top of that I have only eaten out once since surgery. I have tolerated everything fairly well, but I have done most of the cooking. What if something is too rich and makes me sick and I vomit. Lord, Lordy! How will I ensure I am getting adequate protein? I certaintly can't take my scale and measure my food. There are so many things to make me nervous about this entire trip, but I know I have to get through it.
Vivi *.
on 10/14/04 12:03 am - clermont, FL
Hi lafy, have yo considered a thermic lunch box with cheese sticks yogurt, fruit, or whatever your diet calls for? I have one and carry it with me EVERYWHERE! Too bad Louis Vuitton doesn't make on... They aren't too stylish! Anyway, at restaurants, you can always ask for poached fi**** is very good and ZERO fat. You don't have tell the waiter you had surgery, just ask him please to make sure there is no oil or butter on your fish. You can have that with a side salad, or veggies, or a small plain sweet potato(if you can tolerate the potato), or rice etc... You will see, it wil be just fine, take a few protein bars in your purse JUST IN CASE!!! I always cary also those small tuna salad kits, they come witl wheat crackers and low fat mayo! I think they taste really good, and the portiion size is perfect, better yet, they do not need to be refridgerated! You never know when you are traveling what may happen, and sometimes you just need food!! I know that if I pass my meal time, I start to feel weak and shake some. Good luck!! Let us know what happened! Flavia
sradcli74
on 10/14/04 12:12 am
I Flavia, Thanks for the great advice. Teah
Angela S.
on 10/14/04 2:04 am - Santa Maria, CA
RNY on 07/28/04 with
Do you know about Papaya enzime? This is my miricle cure for vomiting. At the first feeling of discomfort I pop one of these nalural digestive aids and within 2 minutes, the discomfort is gone. I don't know how RNY post-ops live without them, they have saved me time and time again. I have them in my purse, car and home. Hope this helps and good luck, Angela
Heather M.
on 10/14/04 2:46 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
Okay where do you get these and who make them? Sounds like a good thing to have on hand "just in case". Heather
Angela S.
on 10/14/04 8:14 am - Santa Maria, CA
RNY on 07/28/04 with
I got them at my local health food store and the brand name of the one that I use is American Health. They are labeled: Chewable Super Papaya Enzyme Plus the after meal supplement. On the side of this there is a web address: nnfa.org, just remember to put the www. before. Hope this helps someone, but as always you should talk to your pcp about this. Angela
lily K.
on 10/15/04 10:33 am - brockton, MA
dear lady teah i flew out to chicago to visit my brother in august about 6 weeks post op. i brought a thermal lunch bag and packed 2 small waters ( i partially froze them before) also a few saltines and a laughing cow cheese and a protein bar. in my luggage i packed some protein bars and some shakes. i found that most restaurants, you can find something to eat, just eat slowwww and chew. what i found difficult was traveling by car and just stopping at a convenience store or stopping at a mall food court, that is tough, most times i would have a water, or sometimes a decaf sugar free latte. i actually had a sugar free ice cream at one place but only ate a few tablespoons as i did not want to puke in public. be very careful and do eat your 3 meals a day, you need them. you will be so excited when that plane seatbelt closes and you have plenty of space in your seat!! best of luck to you! (the best part was i lost 4 lbs the week i was away) lilykate
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views