Interesting chat with surgeon and 3 month check up

C J.
on 10/13/04 2:19 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi everybody...I saw my surgeon yesterday for my 3 month check up..a little early, I'm actully 10 weeks. He said that at the 3 month mark the average weight loss is 30 -35% of the excess weight. Kind of nice to have a benchmark to measure by. I was thrilled cuz according to him I have lost 49% of my excess weight. (Dang-had to wear clothes or it would have been 50%) I also asked him about the absorbtion rates...ie 30 grams of protein in a setting, 300mg calcium at a time....Told him that I hadn't been able to find any medical articles backing up these facts...he told me he hadn't been able to find any research to back up these claims either. I also asked about special vitamins for bariatric patients and again he said there was no valid research to support the claims. So, in Dr. Oliaks opinion, take your MVI 2 times a day, your B12 and iron twice a day, calcium once a day, twice if you perfer but a seperate time then the iron because there is proof that iron and calcium compete for absorption. Other then that, if your anemic take Vit. C with the iron s it improves iron absorption. Get your labs checked regularly. He also said that with the above program the majority of his patients have their labs come back in the normal ranges. He is considering doing a research project on absorption rates in order to have some proof for all of us who would like to be sure we are doing the right thing. I also asked him about all the different programs different MD's had and he said it just goes to show that no one know really knows what is best, that they are all going on what has worked well in their experience. Again, a topic he is interested in researching. Anyway, hope you found it all interesting. CJ 246/190/138
AngelFlyingHappy
on 10/14/04 2:22 am - Oxnard, CA
CJ: That is great info, thanks for sharing. I am one who orders vitamins from US Bariatrics. My doctor's office recommended them to me. They are a little pricey but they taste good and work well with my tummy. I hate swallowing pills! I have my 3 month next week....I have tons of questions too. Take Care Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views