Allergic reaction post WLS???

Vivi *.
on 10/9/04 2:30 am - clermont, FL
Today, right after I took my multi vit. + iron (maybe shound't have taken them together??!) my body got covered in a red rash (even my face) and my arms ich like heck!! I got so scared!!!! I never had a allergic reaction or any type of allergies in my life, and I am 30 years old! I had some shrimp, which tasted "iffy" so afte r the second one I discarded the dish. Anyway, I called my neighbor who is a RN and she told me it probably weren't the vitamins because it happend to fast afte rI took them... She also said some food allergies can gappen up to 3 days after the food is consumed. Has anyone developed any new allergies post WLS??? I called my PCP but he did not call me back.. I need to change my Dr.! My PCP is not WLS friendly, and my surgeon is in Brazil, I have his number there but he is unreacheable at the moment (as today is a holliday over there...) So frustrated. I also called the emergency number for the vitamins manufacturer, but I did not get a call back. BTW, the vitamisn were "BuildingBlocks" by "usbariatrics.com" I'd apprecciate any help here... Flavia 223/187/115 Open RNY 07/27/04
carbfreecathy
on 10/9/04 2:45 am - Michigan City, IN
Hi Flavia, You didn't say when you had the shrimp. Last night dinner, this morning breakfast??? I have a history of allergic reactions, rash is the common outcome. I have been given Benadryl, over the counter to treat it and it works for me. I would hope you could get your medical opinion first but if not that then you might visit your local ER. A rash is not the only reaction that you could have from shellfish and if your throat starts swelling up and your your breathing could be compromised and you don't want that at all. This is a ER type of emergency so don't hesitate to go there. Don't just assume it will go away either. If you have a total body ra**** is serious. Good luck and keep us posted. Cathy Open RNY 7/26/2004 302/249/145
Vivi *.
on 10/9/04 2:54 am - clermont, FL
Hi Cathy, I had some shrimp about 2 nights ago. I'll take some Benadryl now. I'm not puffy, and my breathing is just fine. It's now been 1-2 hours since the simptoms showed up and they have already started to subside. I'll take some Benadryl, and watch for any other reactions, if I start to feel bad, I'll go to the ER. Thank very much for your imput. It was very helpfull. Yes, the rash is all over. I'm glad I had reservations about the shrimp and did not have too much. Flavia Open RNY 07/27/04 223/187/115
carbfreecathy
on 10/9/04 6:37 am - Michigan City, IN
Hi Flavia, Two nights ago is a long time for a "delayed" reaction. I've always had any reaction within at least 2-6 hours. This doesn't sound as likely a cause as I first thought. Given our new gastrointestinal configuration I would have thought a food alergy would have shown up sooner rather than later. Maybe I'm wrong, but, check with your surgeon about "what-ifs" so you will know what to suspect if it happens again. I'm inclined to ask you to look at your food / medicine log and evaluate the things you ate 2-6 hours before it appeared. If it's medicine you should figure that out before taking any more of whatever it is. Did you start any new meds, new since surgery, within the past 1-2 days? Did you change brands or types of same-old meds? Did you try a new soap, or anything that could have come in contact with your skin. To me, and I am NOT a doctor, for you to have a full body rash indicates it is a chemical reaction internally because a contact dermatitis rash appears locally, like poison ivy. I'd only suggest more caution than previously since I doubt that it would have been something you ate two nights ago. Please be very careful and keep detailed records of what you consume and when. That's the virtue of food logs. I keep my medications and supplements on my own food log so that I can track down anything that may go awry. Remember not to drive if you have taken benadryl. Please keep trying to reach your surgeon or his/her resident. Anaphalactic shock is nothing to mess with. It is likely that you'll trigger another reaction since you don't know what actually caused the first one so have a plan. Call the doctor and get his advice. Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 302/249/145
carbfreecathy
on 10/9/04 6:45 am - Michigan City, IN
Hi again Flavia, Well, after sending my last post I re-read your original post. Hummm. Is this the first time you've ever taken your multi vit. + iron together. Now, mind you, I've been doing just that myself for the past 2.5 weeks ever since I got my first labs back and was diagnosed with low potassium and low iron. I now take my 325 mg Iron with my multi vit as soon as I wake up so I can keep the two hour distance between the iron and my calcium supplements. Questions: 1. Have you been taking the same multi vit pill for weeks? No change of brands, etc. I took Flintstones chewable for the first month post op but switched to my regular brand as soon as I could swallow it comfortably. 2. Have you just started taking the Iron supplement? Although I have not heard of negative drug interactions between a multi vit/min and an iron supplement that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Track it down. Figure out what was new about your medication routine. Don't repeat it until you speak with your surgeon. Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 302/249/145
Vivi *.
on 10/9/04 10:57 am - clermont, FL
Hey Cathy, I tracked... Noting new, the only new thing was pre-peeled garlic in my ingredients (I always bought fresh before), and multi-vit + iron... I thought it could be a reaction to some sort of preservative on the garlic... but that would be a very long shot. The vitamins are not new, the iron is, but I've been taking the iron for almost 1 week now. (I wasn't taking it before at all)... So weird, they are both sold as bariatric kit, made by the same company. One would think that if there was the possobility of a raction by the combination of the 2 supplements, there would've been a disclaimer! I even called the Building Blocks 800#, but they won't talk to me, as they "do not give out medical advice"! My PCP did not call me back... So sick of all this. My dad will be back on Monday, I'll talk to him then and see what he thinks. Also, my surgeon's office will be open on Monday, so I'll call then. I did some research online and it could also be a niacin reaction, who knows? Our bodies are so complex now... Thank you for caring!!!! Flavia
carbfreecathy
on 10/9/04 1:36 pm - Michigan City, IN
Hi Flavia, Good catch on the Niacin possibility. I know rashes occure from taking it in some folks. Now, about the comment on not taking Iron with Multi Vit. I know you can't take it with Calcium so wait 2 hours after it to take my first Calcium dose. I haven't heard about the warning not to take Iron with MultiVit since it contains iron. I've assumed it cancelled out the calcium in the multi vit so don't count it towards my total. I'm sending an e-mail to my surgeon's nurse who is my advisor in such matters and I'll report what she says. Also, of course you should see what your surgeon's office says too then we can compare. Cathy,
cosette
on 10/9/04 8:31 am - Tujunga, CA
Hi Flavia I don't know much about food allergies. One thing I WAS told by my surgeon is to never take your iron with your multi-vitamin OR with your calcium. They cancel each other out...
melissab
on 10/9/04 11:04 pm - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
Hope you sorted things out!! Just for the record, any pharmacist or doctor will tell you that Iron likes to be alone. It should not be taken within 2 hours of any other pills. The thing to take with Iron is a chewable vitamin C tablet, which helps the iron to absorb much better, which is especially helpful in our postop malabsorbtive tummy's. Just thought that might help clarify the iron issue. Although I still don't think it would counter acted with the vitamin. But you are wasting money on both of them taking them together, as another poster said, one will cancel out the other if taken together Hope you are cleared up! Melissa
carbfreecathy
on 10/12/04 6:11 am - Michigan City, IN
Hi Flavia, Please give us an update on your rash source. What did your doctor say? What have you found out? Cathy Open RNY 7/26/04 302/248/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views