Food Questions

Leslie A.
on 10/7/04 12:45 pm - Windsor Locks, CT
Could anyone tell me if you are premitted and/or can handle any fried foods. I am 10 weeks post op and tolerating anything I eat. I still do not each very much at all but crave just a little something fried once in awhile - like a chicken finger. Also, if eating salads, at what point, post-op, could you? Thanks! Leslie
bunnymorris
on 10/7/04 2:22 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Listen, I would do almost anything to avoid vomiting! I can tell you one time I was out and needed to eat but selection was terrible. I opted for 4 piece nuggets Chick-fil-a. I ate one to see if it went down. It did but I went home with the other 3 and ate them later for dinner. I can tell you they stayed down but felt like a rock in my stomach. Took forever to digest and get rid of that heavy almost sick feeling. These had very little breading on them. No thanks--I pass. Hope it goes well for you, Bunny
sradcli74
on 10/7/04 11:47 pm
Hi Leslie, I had my first salad at 7 weeks out. It was oh so good! I try to steer away from fried foods, but like you said every once in a while, you get that craving. I have tried fried catfist nuggets and fried chicken nuggets, but I only ate one of each. Usually if I have a craving, I'll have a little of what ever it is that I am craving and it hits the spot. Have you tried the Boca chix nuggets, they are made with soy, but taste and look just like regular chicken nuggets, I believe 4 of them gets you about 14 grams of protein. They are really delicious and if you bake them you still get that crunch. Good Luck
dana W.
on 10/8/04 10:40 pm - fort worth, tx
I crave differnet fried foods and get it and yuck!!! I'm like is it always gonna be like that. I never heard of Boca chix nuggets where do u buy those?
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/04 11:52 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Fried foods do NOT sit well with me at all. Almost instantly, I feel greasy and nauseous. This goes for anything deep fried, as well as "grilled hamburgers" that are really fried at a fast food restaurant. Most of the time, I have nothing to do with fried foods, although on occasion, I will have a bite of something. For example, yesterday, my husband had a leftover hush puppy, so I ate that with my tuna and crackers. Bad idea! It haunted me for about 30 minutes, until it finally made it through my pouch. I was released to eat salads at six weeks post-op. I don't handle the lettuce well, although I enjoy eating the toppings (chicken, cheese, veggies). The lettuce makes me feel nauseous, just like greasy foods. Pamela -48
DramaQueenJessica
on 10/8/04 1:09 am - Wayland, MA
I love salad. Seems to be the only thing that satisfies my cravings. Ive been eating them since exactly 4 weeks postop. Iceberg lettuce has no nutrient value... so try to eat leafy green lettuces. Baby romaine and baby spinach are good choices. They are also more tender so your pouch will be able to handle them better. At night, usually for a snack Ill have a tomato or cucumber cut up with feta cheese and bottled salad dressing or some kind of vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Ive had a chinese style chicken wing at probably 4 weeks post op too.. and it was kinda gross. The grease and having to chew it forever, well it tasted gross. Ive noticed that the blander and less spicy foods are the better they taste, after chewing it to disintegration, lol. If you decide to eat a chicken finger, realize that the breading will probably be horrible for you. Maybe eat half of one. And make sure you get that salad!!!! Jessica 253/189
kberkihiser
on 10/8/04 3:51 am - Lancaster, PA
As of this Monday, (12 weeks post op) I can have anything my heart desires. However, it is strongly recommended that you do not eat many fried foods. Because we are human, the doctors said that if you MUST have something to limit it to a bite or 2 (especially high fat or high sugar foods) Yesterday I had 2 french fries, with no issues from them. Salads are going to be a new thing for me, I am dying for a Subway salad sometime soon, but for now am happy to be cleared to eat bread again. We were told no raw veggies or fruits with skins until after 12 weeks. This week I got to have some grapes and tomatos and did ok with them. I had a half of a small soft pretzel the other day and that removed a craving I have had since the surgery. I have had pizza (here they make it with a VERY thin crunchy crust) so I have been indulging on occasion is about a half a slice of mushroom and black olive pizza. It is funny, now that I can have anything I want, I do not CRAVE anything that much. (Except Spaghetti Sauce from a Italian Place in Montana where I grew up) and that is bc I only get it once a year when my mom comes back from vacation and brings some back. Ok, so I am long winded!!!!!!!!!! Try the chicken finger now and then and remove the CRAVING and move on. The worst thing I can see us doing is totally depriving ourselves so we can't take it anymore and pig out on it and end up dumping. Nibble here and there and feel normal. The great thing about this surgery is we can now eat a small amount and be satisfied. My one exception of something I never plan to have again is carbonated drinks. This was too much work to lose it for that. Although when these new sodas come out, my curiousity goes wild bc I used to be a soda addict. I normally have a very very very small sip. It normallt does not taste good enough to me to keep drinking. I had to do this with the new Mountain Dew Pitch Black - which was awful, Diet Mountain Dew, and a mized berry slushy my daughter got (way too sweet!) Ok enough rambling! Kristy B 306/248/165
brandnewmw30
on 10/8/04 5:42 am - MERRILLVILLE, IN
I really cannot tolerate any fried foods. I had a piece of fish(took breadding off) and got horribly sick! I had to vomit it up. I stated on salads after seven weeks and they are so satisfying. Leafy greens,eggs,onions,olives,chicken breasts, etc.. Try and lay-off the fried foods. Remember, we need to start changing our eating habits. Take care Teneaha 7/16/04 319/300/288/272
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1116 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1036 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1113 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views