Negative Response???

bamasweetpea
on 10/6/04 12:43 am - Fayetteville, NC
I had an unusual expirence last night. I went into a Convenience Store last night and got a cup of ice. The lady at the register asked me if I wanted some beverage in the cup because she was going to have to charge me full price even though it was just ice. I told be no thanks because all of the beverages are carbonated and that I could not drink carbonated drinks. Well you know she asked why and I told her I had the gastric Bypass and SHE WRINKLED HER NOSE UP AT ME!! I really dont care what others think about the process because I did it for me but by golly dont ask and then be negative about it. Have any of you had any similar expirences?
IrishIze
on 10/6/04 12:51 am - NJ
When I first told my mother that I was going to have the surgery, she shook her head and said: "It's all up here" pointing to her temple. That was all I needed to hear to know I was going to keep this very private. I've told very few people about my WLS just because of the negative responses I had heard and read before. At this point in time, I want to concentrate on getting myself better and learning a new way of life, not worrying about what other people think. First of all, she had no business asking you why - what is it to her? I guess maybe I'd have answered that I had a sensitive tummy. Hugs, Nancy -53
JustHat
on 10/6/04 3:38 am - NM
I still haven't told my family. I know my parents' reaction won't be a good one. We are very close. And, when I was in the hospital, I was very sad that I couldn't share with my mom all of the things that were going on. But, there is enough stress in my life right now without worrying about her worrying about me. The only reason I will tell them is because I promised my boys I would. Hiding things from your parents is a very good example to set for them. But, someday they will understand that I was doing it for good reasons. We will never tell my husband's family. His sister was stappled years ago. It failed even though she was thin at one time. There are some on base that know about my surgery. Mostly it is people that mentioned that they were thinking about having the surgery first. As for everyone else, they all think I lost weight for different reasons. When they ask, I tell them what ever comes to mind at the time. Yesterday I told someone I lost weight because I stopped eating pizza. I told someone else it was stress. Both are true, just not the whole story. If someone asked my why I couldn't have soda, I would probably keep it simple and tell them that had a hot date with a stud and didn't want to burp on him all night long. Hat
bamasweetpea
on 10/6/04 12:59 am - Fayetteville, NC
That reply would have been a good one!
Vivi *.
on 10/6/04 1:30 am - clermont, FL
Please, I would've told her "Beacuse I can't", or "It doesn't matter why, I just can't", or "None of your business". I've gotten so many negative responses that I just do not have patience for this type of stuff anymore. I, now, surround myself with good people and the rest can go to heck! Look at the response I got from my brother in Brazil, when I sent him a pic of me just the onther day: "Congratulations!!!! I'm very proud of you!!!! You are getting very bealtiful as you always were... Hope to see you soon... lots of kisses for you and sweet Kaitlyn!!! bye" Now, that's how people need to tlak to us! Be proud of what u did, none of those people who discriminate against WLS have knowledge of what it is all about, or the guts to go through with something like we did (no pun intended!! ) Flavia
kberkihiser
on 10/6/04 5:00 am - Lancaster, PA
I have had one negative response from my sister in law who is a nurse and I think it was personal. All I can tell you is that people are totally ignorant. Especially people who have never been more that 5 lbs overweight in their lives. People honestly believe we all do this to ourselves and never think that we can have other contributing issues that ruin our efforts to lose weight everytime we try. I personally have Poly cystic ovarian syndrome which cause obesity in many women bc it is also linked to insulin resistance. For years I have eaten less than my older daughter and have not lost weight at all. Just remember people are ignorant. Most I have run into have been more curious than negative bc most of what they hear is horror stories about the surgury. I was watching Leno the other week and "Wanda" the witch was on and she was promoting her new book and spent a good amount of time commenting on how having the hurgury is "cheating" and the results should not be acknowledged and was very critical of AL Roker. My guess is simply that she feels her ignorance is funny. I feel that it is not. AND the same night on Conan someone else was spoiting off about it. While thier ignorance is irritating. I know everything I have been though and I know some very skinny people who could not have survived the week before surgury on the liquid fast, then again what I have endured since. I just chalk it up to ignorance and unaccaptance and leave it go. Don't let one ignorant person keep your from sharing your good fortune. There are so many who would like to have this surgury who are either scared, cant afford it, or insurance won't cover it. We are lucky we have been givin this opportunity to change our lives and our courage and openess about it could be just what someone needs to make the step to in some cases save their lives too. Hugs Kristy 306/250/165
bamasweetpea
on 10/6/04 10:41 pm - Fayetteville, NC
I also have PCOS. I am on the pill for it. Since the surgery my body will not absorb the pills and I had to go on the patches. BCBS will not cover the patches though. So that is an extra $45 every month. Thank You for your reply.
kberkihiser
on 10/7/04 3:38 am - Lancaster, PA
I can;t take the pill. I actually think it is what started my weight gain in the beginning and my mom had a pulmonary embolism on them and almost died. I just have to deal with the hair loss, facial hair, irregular periods, etc! PCOs Stinks!!! Kristy B 306/250/165
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/04 11:33 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I told my family and my husband's family. Unfortunately, the members in my husband's family all have a GREAT BIG FAT MOUTH, including my husband. At first, he didn't tell anyone. But it was evident that everyone else was telling the whole world, so he joined them. We heard back from a couple of my husband's friends (whom he didn't tell) that I had open-heart surgery...a heart bypass! I only tell people on a need-to-know basis. In my opinion, there aren't many people who need to know, except for those few that I spend the most time with. But like I said, those few have really big mouths! Pamela -47
kberkihiser
on 10/7/04 3:45 am - Lancaster, PA
My husband told all his coworkers. One has a wife who had it in February so he gets alot of positive feedback from him. He went to a football party the other week that I could not go to because my oldest had a soccer game and one of his other coworkers wives told him she was soooo disappointed I was not there. She wanted to see how I looked so far after the WLS -- Another wife who is one of my closest pals did not know until 2 weeks ago when she got an email from me reaching my 50 lb loss goal... she emailed back she was going to string him up when he got home for not telling her! It has come to the point I am more shocked when someone does not know I had the surgury that that they do. Kristy B 306/250/165
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views