Should we be gettin in all water and protein?

dana W.
on 9/30/04 1:24 pm - fort worth, tx
For us that's 2 mths out shld we be gettin in all 64oz of water? And 60-80grms of protein? I'm trying but am i messing up?
jcordell
on 9/30/04 2:25 pm - TX
Hi Dana! Well, bad news, but the 64 oz of water is the minimum we should be getting for the rest of our lives! As for the protein, I would be thrilled to death to get half of that in a day, so I'm not a good one to ask. Hope you're doing well. Here's to all of us getting the water and protein we need to be healthy and successful! Keep smiling and keep the faith! -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/268/188
C J.
on 9/30/04 3:50 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
Yep, we should and Nope, I'm not! I think our pouches are too small still. I figure as long as I keep making progress I'm doing okay! CJ
Towanda S.
on 9/30/04 8:37 pm - Somewhere in, CT
Hi Dana: Yes and Yes. I find the water to be hard to do and still use my diet log sheet that the hospital gave me to prompt me to drink my water. The protein is easy for me. I use a protein shake (Real Meals - 30 gms of protein for every 6 oz fluid). The way I see it... We have this golden opportunity of 18-24 months to lose the majority of our excess weight. My motto...seize the day...do it with gusto. It is a task for sure...but so worth the effort and time. Also...I, like many I have spoken with at support group meetings, took care of the world...I was last on my list. That no longer is the case. I am working hard at putting my recovery needs at the top of the list now. Again...a doable thing with a bit of effort. Keep plugging away each day doing your very best and you will do just fine. YOU ARE WORTH all the effort you put into this journey. Towanda
TweedyBird
on 9/30/04 11:14 pm - Somewhere, AR
Hey Dana, I think it depends on your pouch size too! I started out being able to eat 4-6 ozs of food. It has been really easy for me to get in 60 grams of protein. If I really work at it, I can get in the water too. But I really have to work at it. I usually always get in 42 ozs.....so this is my struggle. Oh, I do 1 protein shake, which is 30grams of protein right off the bat! I get in between 15 and 21 grams at lunch....21 grams if doing tuna...15 if doing chicken And at dinner...I get in about 15 (3ozs of chicken is 15 grams of protein) Really work hard at trying to get that 60....it helps to keep your muscles from atrophing...thus less sagging skin.... it also increases your metabolism rate. The hospital Dietician really stressed the muscle thing through the 60 grams of protein...plus some type of weight training.....(by the way...the dietician is 12 years out) She stated that YOU will be able to eat more the further out you are...you will need that muscle to maintain your weight. I hope that helps. Tweedy
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/04 6:03 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
My protein target is only 50g, so on most days, I don't have any problem meeting or exceeding it. As for water...well, I don't even drink water. I can't handle it. I drink a lot of Crystal Light, but I'm nowhere near my 64oz of liquids on most days. I think that EVENTUALLY, we'll be able to meet our nutritionist's expectations. Pamela 352/309/135ish
Patima
on 10/1/04 12:04 pm - GA
Dana, Yuppers, we are supposed to be getting in at least 64 ounces of fluids and our protein. I don't have a problem with the protein - I use Isopure powder (love the Dutch Chocolate) mixed with soy milk so I get 30+ grams of protein with one shake. The fluids (and I say fluids because it just isn'****er) I still have problems getting in but am doing much better with. I had to spend 6 days in the hospital for dehydration, and believe me, it was not fun! I have learned that you can also count popcicles and juice and stuff. I like my snow cone machine! I have about 5 pitchers of something to drink in my fridge. If I can't tolerate water that day, I just keep trying differrent drinks until I find something that Oscar (my grouchy pouch) agrees with. Good luck, Patti
lily K.
on 10/1/04 10:02 pm - brockton, MA
dear dana i know it is hard to get all the protein in sometimes . i found these protein shakes at GNC isopure zero carb(in a glass bottle) 40 grams of protein in 20 ounces and 160 cals, i usually have 1/2 as a mid morning snack and 1/2 before bed. i like the alpine punch and blue rasberry, they are similar to a fruit punch flavor, i have bought pineapple orange but have not tried yet. they are not cheap $3.50, but you can buy one bottle and if you don't like, you are only out $3.50. don't drink the whole bottle as you can only process 30 grams of protein at a time and the rest is passed thru(thats what i have heard, i am not a nutritionist so it is probably a question for your dr) i think you could mix with crystal light if you wanted to dilute the flavor lilykate
dana W.
on 10/2/04 9:41 pm - fort worth, tx
thanks alot ,,,i and did find out that crystal light gives it a wonderful taste.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views