Straws & What Can't you eat yet?

dana W.
on 9/30/04 1:37 pm - fort worth, tx
You've lost 50lbs since surgery?? that great .... naw i'm eating just abt everything even the couch.. my doc says try it and see if your stomach likes it...so i eat this and then i eat that... congrats to u. dana
jcordell
on 9/30/04 2:35 pm - TX
Hi Kristy, As for straws, I can't say. Even pre-op I never used them. I had a very uppity boss take me to lunch when I was a young general manager in training years ago, and he informed me they were "uncivilized". Silly, I know, but since then it has stuck with me and I haven't used a straw for 9 years. LOL. As for what to eat and not to eat, my surgeon's only restrictions are: corn, anything with a peel (grapes, etc.), and anything where sugar or some form of sugar product is listed in the first five ingredients. As for what I've found NOT to eat, that would include pasta, rice, and bread. Each of these swells in the pouch, and I've gotten rice and pasta both stuck in my stoma and spent the next several hours throwing up. As my surgeon says, you'll neve know till you try. I have yet to try ANYTHING with sugar, though I've gotta say, a cream cheese muffin sounds sooo good. LOL. Best of luck to you! I know you'll find what you can and can't have in time. Keep smiling and keep the faith! -Jeff RNY 7/7/4 338/168/188
Heather M.
on 9/30/04 11:51 pm - Kirtland AFB, NM
WOW, I don't know what the deal is with straws but I used one at the hospital with my first liquid meal and have on many occasions afterwards. I especially use them at restraunts because I have a hang up about putting my mouth on a glass that someone else has washed (or hasn't) too many times I can see lipstick still on the glass. Woo just gave myself a gross chill thinking about it. lol Also I was never told any food was a total no, no by either my surgeon or nutritionist. I've heard you're never suppose to have gum again. Their main thing was to make sure I get all my protein and supplements (vitamins, etc.) in. That's the military for ya. I love popcorn and that's usually my treat if I've done good that day with my protein and water. Also I snack on sunflower seeds. The only thing I've found that I really can't do so far is rice. It hasn't gotten stuck it just doesn't taste good anymore. Heather 238/194/135ish
Heather M.
on 10/1/04 1:50 am - Kirtland AFB, NM
LOL. Just realized that I was sitting here drinking my protein drink out of a rubbermaid sipper w/straw and that all my water comes from 20oz rubbermaid containers w/ straws. DOH! Still not sure what the issue is with straws. Heather the notorious straw user
C J.
on 10/1/04 5:37 am - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Heather..the deal with straws is supposedly people take in more air with the use of a straw thus causing more gas. CJ
DramaQueenJessica
on 10/1/04 8:54 am - Wayland, MA
If you get gas you burp. I dont understand the concept of no straws. Its silly. My surgeon has no real restrictions other than not drinking with meals.
Vivi *.
on 10/4/04 3:04 am - clermont, FL
my restrictions are: straws, high sugar and high fat foods. Apparently straws allow for more gas to fill the pouch, wich is not a problem as far as passing the gas, the problem is the fact that the pouch does a little streching everytime you add extra gas in it... which in THE LONG RUN has been linked to weigh re-gain. Not sure how valid those studies are, but I am not risking to gain the weight back just because of a silly straw, I can live without it!! Flavia
DramaQueenJessica
on 10/4/04 6:19 am - Wayland, MA
Im of the belief that your pouch doesnt stretch all that much, as is my surgeon. If you have a link to a study that shows that gas will stretch the pouch or anything else, Id be happy to read it. You gain weight back because you become lax in your pouch rules. Not because of using a straw or drinking soda.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views