Straws & What Can't you eat yet?

kberkihiser
on 9/30/04 5:52 am - Lancaster, PA
Hi Everyone; I have 2 questions for all of you. When can we have straws again? and What foods are you still not allowed to eat at however many weeks post op you are? I am 10 weeks post op and still am not supposed to eat bread unless toasted and I am not allowed fruits with skins and uncooked veggies. Also, has anyone notice a diminished craving for sweets since the surgery? I used to NEED them at night, now I do not? Anyone else have any previous cravings that are gone? Thanks Kristy B 306/252/165
Deejay
on 9/30/04 6:01 am - Sparks, NV
I was never told no straws, but my restrictions at this point are no steak or beef chunks, thats about it. I can eat anything else I can tolerate. I can't tolerate bread, dry chicken or scrambled eggs well. So far everything else I've tried seems ok. The cravings I used to have were for ice cream or a big rice or pasta meal, my cravings now are fruit and veggies like crazy!
Ann M.
on 9/30/04 6:20 am - Norwich, CT
I have NO idea what straws are...but I'm not allowed to eat salad, broccoli, or raw veggies yet. I still have trouble with chicken-it goes down "dry." I can eat hamburger and beef without problem. Egg sometimes feels "dry" going down too. Bread is a big no no...unless it's toasted and it's a small amount. I eat about a half slice of toasted multi-grain bread about once a week. I'm not craving sweets/pasta/potato/breads as I used to. I was never a big salad person...but I would KILL now for a salad. Can't wait until I've been cleared to have them-mid October.
JustHat
on 9/30/04 6:21 am - NM
Because I am having eating problems, I am still on a near liquid diet and crackers. I am 9 weeks out. My surgeon allows us to start trying table foods at 8 weeks. I have used a straw on occation. I don't know when we can start using them again, but I take in a lot of air when I drink anyway, so the straw doesn't seem to make it any worse. My tastes have changed so much. Cake still looks good, but I doubt it would taste that good. I haven't put anything like that in my mouth to try out the theory. I do know that I like my water plain. Once in a while I will get flavored water and only drink a small amount before it becomes too much. I think my fear of dumping is greater than any craving, so that helped me out a lot.
Dj _.
on 9/30/04 6:55 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hi Kristy, I'm allowed to eat anything I can tolerate now. They warn against 'skins' from fruit or vegies though. I'm allowed bread, but it just doesn't sit well for me. I tried ground beef once, didn't sit well, haven't tried again, but I do fine with beef, pork and chicken..and fish. I've been craving sweets, like brownies or cake, for the last week or so. I haven't tried it though. Other than that, my only craving is just to eat something, almost anything, like I used to...larger bites, quicker. But then I remember that I'm -57 pounds lighter. The craving passes! I don't know the time frame for straws, but I have tried them in the last few weeks, and did fine. Good luck to you! Deb
AngelFlyingHappy
on 9/30/04 8:38 am - Oxnard, CA
Kristy: We are surgery sisters. For me, my doctor says no more straws ever! Small price to pay for the rewards of this surgery.The only restrictions I have now, is no beef, no pork, no gum, no popcorn, until July. Never allowed to have soda again. I can have fresh bread and fruit with skins. No problem here. I've been very fortunate and everything I have had, I tolerated well. Havent dumped or anything. But I have not pushed the envelope either, I have stuck to my program. I do not crave sweets at all. That is the best feeling!!
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/04 8:39 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I have been using straws for about a month, but only when I'm drinking a slurpee or buy iced tea with dinner (which I know I'm not supposed to do). I haven't had any problems with gas or overfilling my pouch with too much liquid, so I guess it's okay. I can eat anything I want to except for steak, pork (unless it's pulled or ground), raisins, grapes, and corn until 6 months out. I can never again eat popcorn because it could cause an obstruction, and I have a lifelong ban on coconut, which I can't figure out. Even my dietician wasn't quite sure about the coconut. I can't tolerate rice, and if I eat meat like chicken, I have to eat small bites slowly, or it hurts going down. Pamela 352/309/135ish
C J.
on 9/30/04 10:17 am - Port Hueneme, CA
Hi Kristy, I use a straw all of the time...I seem to get less air when I use a straw then when I drink without one. My surgeon says no to: Nuts of any kind Sunflower seeds Whole or lowfat milk, cream Butter, mayonnaise (substitute with nonfat) Potato chips All cheeses Peanut butter Cream soups Trail mix Ice cream (Sorbet is okay) Sherbert Cookies, cakes, popcorn, pies Crackers Breads BBQ beans and sauce Granola Creamy sauces(Alfredo) Muffins, coffee cakes, donuts forever and ever! Of course, cheese is one of my mainstays for getting in my protein, but since I still eat only 2 to 3 ozs at a time, 3-4 times a day I don't worry about it. I understand the rationale is to avoid high fat, high sugar foods with little nutritional value. I'm a firm believer in moderation and try to eat as healthy as I can. But I do plan to also live normally, which means I have to figure out ways to bake healthier desserts etc. I also don't crave sugar foods the way I used to. I think a big part of it is just not eating any since surgery. I broke that habit as well as the caffiene and carbonation habit. Have a great day, CJ
us2bfat C.
on 10/3/04 9:17 pm - selden, NY
what is left after that list is over? no sunflowe seeds?? that just doesnt seem right no peanut butter!! i exsist on sunflower seeds and pumkin seeds instead of potato chips and candy. if i get a sweet tooth i eat a piece of sugar bubble gum for 2 minutes and spit it out that seems like a lot to give up that list of things... i also live on string cheese i also treat myself to a small cup of regular coffee in the morning with sweet and low and half and half i always have crackers with my chili just not 10 of them... for me its the foods that i can tolerate only we can know for sure what that is.... its a trial and error thingy and for the most part we should pick the more healthier choices but if we are in a situation that we cant just dont over do it that has been my experience Stacy 232/174/132 no longer considered to be obese
Lalocaweta
on 9/30/04 1:27 pm - Spicewood, TX
Can't answer you on straws - as I was never a fan of them.... I am released to full night - with some "permanent" restrictions - but have to say that I have chosen what to restrict and what to not restrict. Since I have lost 60 pounds since 7/15 - I don't think my "tweaking" the restrictions has hurt me!!! Bread if toasted - tried it untoasted and it swelled in pouch. NOT fun. No pasta - tried it several times and always makes me miserable - swells in pouch - NOT fun. No tortillas - tried them a couple of times - again - swelling - NOT fun Nothing w/ over 5 grams sugar - have not tried to go over that...Had meat w/ barbeque sauce one night - and though I was dying. No mashed potatoes - I do eat them - usually couple times a week - I fight on and off w/ nausea and they stay down. Generally avoid carbs - For the most part I do - but I do snack at work on pretzels and nuts. Anne
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views