Hi Everybody! Question about carbs???????

Denise Johnson
on 9/29/04 12:20 am - Whiteman AFB, MO
Hi ALL, I had a question that I was hoping somebody could help me with. I am having such a hard time with the carb thing I am trying to plan out my meals for today,my Dr. said that I have to watch my carb intake more than anything,so here it goes. I was thinking that if i have a can of split pea soup 1/2 cup at a time, I can get 3 meals.But for a 1/2 cup of soup,there are 27 grams of carbs, (if you -5 for fiber,22 carbs) but over 3 meals,that would give me 66 grams of carbs.Thats not including the 26 grams that Ive already had with my yogurt mixed with carbwell cereal. I was just wondering if these carbs are okay since it is pea soup,and not from bread,crackers, etc. Or should I make another choice for my meals today?? Any help would be appreciated. This carb thing is making me Thanks in advance! Denise Johnson
sradcli74
on 9/29/04 12:24 am
Hi Denise, Where's your protein coming from? If you are allowed to eat salads try that or divide your soup into quarter cups and for the other quarter of your meal add some ground chicken or turkey to the soup? Good Luck
Denise Johnson
on 9/29/04 12:36 am - Whiteman AFB, MO
Hi Lady Teah, Thank you for your post! I forgot to add that eash 1/2 cup of soup would give me 10 grams of protein.So I thought that would be a good way to get protein. But then there's those dang carbs. Denise
joniliz2
on 9/29/04 3:32 am - NORTH HAVEN, CT
RNY on 07/02/04 with
Denise, I would keep your menu varied and stick to one serving of the soup per day. My dietician told me to keep my carbs under 50g... It's hard to think of peas as carbs...but they are. Good luck to you! Joanie
Shrinking-Violet
on 9/29/04 3:33 am - Maricopa, AZ
Denise: In my opinion, I would ditch the soup all together and select something that is more dense with more protein and less carbs. I don't know about you, but soup goes through me fast and then I find that I am hungry again right away. I only ate soup during my first few weeks pre-op when more solid food was still a challenge. Plus even though the split pea soup has a lot of carbs (granted they are "good" carbs), I don't think the amount of protein per 1/2 cup is a good pay off. If you had that soup for 3 meals you'd still only be getting on 30 grams of protein and you really need at least 60 for the day! Plus the 66 grams of carbs for the soup seems really high to me! Have you tired eating tuna w/light mayo or chicken or maybe some deli meat rolled up with a slice of light cheese instead? Angela 229/196/140
IrishIze
on 9/29/04 3:39 am - NJ
Why not try meals with cottage cheese - 3.5 tablespoons = 1 carb and 7 grams of protein. Or salad size shrimp - 12 = 0 carbs and 6g protein. If you want the pea soup, why not split it out over three days and have it along with the shrimp or a slice of turkey ham (0 carb, 5 protein) and a slice of reduced fat swiss cheese (1 carb, 4 protein) rolled up together. It's hard trying to figure it out. I use fitday.com religiously and it really helps keep me on track. Hugs, Nancy -50 277/227/150
Denise Johnson
on 9/29/04 3:57 am - Whiteman AFB, MO
Thank You everybody for your replies! I wish there where more things that I could eat for protein.I used to absolutely LOVE cottage cheese,but since surgery, I completely lost the taste for it.Weird.I do eat it if I have it with Pineapple in it, but pineapple has so much sugar in it,I don't do that very often. And I HATE seafood,always have,always will unfortunately.So I guess shrimp is out of the question. Actually, I could do without carbs all together,but I have been so rundown lately. I read a book that was talking about how important it is to have COMPLEX carbs for your body,brain,emotional well being. I thought that may be the reason I have no energy. My main source of protein comes from chicken,cheese sticks,and protein bars,but it's getting kind of old. Thank You all for your suggestions. Denise
AngelFlyingHappy
on 9/29/04 5:24 am - Oxnard, CA
Denise: My doctor's office says during the first six months we dont eat enough to worry too much about carbs. Eating protein rich foods is most important however and getting in your protein.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views