Suggestions on pulling protein up

bunnymorris
on 9/27/04 2:33 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Ok--I'm being patient but need a little encouragment or suggestions. I have been playing up and down with 3 lbs for nearly 3 weeks now. I walk everyday unless an emergency happens (not often) and started strength training 2 x a week. I doubled my distance for walking. I have concentrated on protein. My dr. wants me to get protein from food not shakes or drinks but I do enjoy the nectar drink (fuzzy navel) and it gives me 23 extra protein grams. So yesterday I thought I ate so much--sat down to figure it out--only 450 calories and 40 grams protein so I ate more to up it to 60 gr. protein and 680 calories. I was so full. Should I aim for 80 grams? Any suggestions? I'm down -43 or 44 since July 22. I'm happy with the loss but this up and down for 3 weeks is ...frustrated. Suggestions--comments--welcomed. Need a little pick me up--thanks so much! love, Bunny
jcordell
on 9/27/04 3:41 pm - TX
Bunny, I wish I had some wisdom for you, but I think we each respond differently to different things. It certainly sounds as though you're doing everything possible. All I can say is, good job and hang in there. It has been my experience in the past that after a lengthy plateau, you will enjoy just as lengthy losing streak. I'm certain this will be the case with you, particularly as well as you're doing. Keep smiling, and as always, keep the faith! Your WLS Bro, -Jeff
Shrinking-Violet
on 9/27/04 3:47 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Bunny: I hear you about the up & down with the same 3 lbs. Been there! I know your doctor wants you to get your protein from regular food but I have to say that it's nearly impossible for me to get in 70-80 grams of protein without my protein shakes and protein bars! Like you said, in order to get in the requirements you have to eat more and then feel sooo stuffed. Plus along with eating "regular" food you do get your protein but you also get a lot more sodium, fat, and carbs that you don't find in the shakes/bars. I find that picking the low carb/low fat protein drinks really helps me make my requirements without getting too high in other catergories. Maybe you could consider have 1 protein shake a day for a few days and see how that affects your loss? As for myself- since upping my protein with the shakes and bars, as well as cutting back on carbs/fats/sodium- the difference is major! The scale is going doooown now! Instead of flip-floppin' everywhere ;) Angela Lap RNY 07/28/04
joniliz2
on 9/27/04 9:44 pm - NORTH HAVEN, CT
RNY on 07/02/04 with
I went to my dietician last week and I am still drinking protein drinks. She said the surgeon does not like us drinking our calories, but she sees nothing wrong with it. I have my protein drink for breakfast and have 30g of protein already under my belt befor the day begins. I do notice the pounds dragging..when I have carbs..so I stay away from them. I avg 70-90 grams of protein and between 600-800 calories a day. Hope this helps a bit Joanie
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/04 11:25 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I'm a slow loser, but I think that's mostly from genetics (my parents and THEIR parents all struggled with weight). I am only required to get 50g of protein a day, but the scale seems to move faster if I get in more, like 60g. 450 calories really isn't a whole lot, so it might be wise to increase it just a little. I use fitday.com to keep track of my protein, and it also keeps track of my calories. My dietician said that as long as I keep it under 1000, I'll be fine. I set my personal calorie goal at 600-1000 calories a day, but I tend to get in about 800 calories. Some ideas for getting your protein in through foods: String cheese (you can get the light version for 9g protein and 60 calories), tuna (add a hard-boiled egg to a can of tuna and make it 3 or 4 servings to a can), chicken (tons of protein!), deli-sliced turkey (I use Hillshire Farms Deli Select because it's so thin). Basically, I eat 1oz string cheese with 1oz turkey for breakfast, 1/4 can of my special tuna salad on two slices of light bread for lunch, and dinner is whatever I cook for the family, including take-out. If I eat a snack, I generally go for the cheese. I hope this helps! Pamela 352/309/135ish
Gina F
on 9/28/04 3:49 am - Belton, TX
Bunny, Hey there! I just wanted to offer some encouragement in that you are doing great! Plus remember that when you do strength training, your muscles are growing and that's good weight gain. It might slow down your loss, but it's a good thing. I like string cheese, too. The light version is pretty good and goes down very easy. I also have started drinking carb countdown chocolate. Yum! It's not nasty like a lot of the protein drinks out there but has a good amount of protein (like 20 g per 8 oz serving, I think) in there. You could also add some powder to it to make it even more protein-packed. Good luck -- protein is a struggle but it sure helps the loss. Hugz, Gina F. -45 P.S. Do you attend the PFAMOS meetings? I have yet to meet you, girlie!
curlysue 9.
on 9/28/04 10:37 am - Demopolis, AL
Hi, Bunny! I have a suggestion. If you already haven't heard or seen of this, there are these Low-carb, 1 sugar gram, 10 grams of protein, bars made by Post. The only flavor I have tried is the peanut butter. It tastes exactly like a peanut butter flavored rice crispy treat!! It is delicious!! It doesn't taste like a yucky protein bar. This actually tastes like a treat! You have to try them! I eat one a day to add to my protein. You could even eat two a day as a snack. If you go down the aisle where the granola bars are at you will find them. It sounds to me like you are doing great. Don't let those 3 pounds get you down! I am certain that if you can "up" your protein even just a little bit that you will see pounds falling off of you. I used to only get about 40-50 grams of protein in a day. I would only lose about an average of 4 pounds a week. Now that I am taking in about 70-80 grams of protein, I am losing a pound a day! I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but I am convinced it is the protein! I wish you the best of luck! 44 pounds lost is excellent!!
dana W.
on 9/28/04 2:07 pm - fort worth, tx
well hang in there u'll doing better than i am,,, i only down 40lbs since july 29 and i can eat sweets and chips
bunnymorris
on 9/28/04 2:46 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Thanks to you all! I am making real efforts to up that protein. You gave me wonderful suggestions! I am very proud of the 44 lbs. I have lost but I am a little weary of seeing the same number come up! I know it will move--just appreciate the support until it does. Best to all, Bunny
Ann M.
on 9/29/04 3:34 am - Norwich, CT
Can't say enough good things about FitDay...it really helps you track where your calories are coming from...it's motivating and it's FREE! I found that when I'm stalled it's because I'm not eating ENOUGH and my body thinks it's starving-so my metabolism slows down even more than it's normal "sluggish" level! Focus on the protein, getting enough calories and you'll see those lbs. melt off! Ann 314/255/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views