Stopped losing

Monna W.
on 9/23/04 1:56 am - Susanville, CA
I have been so discouraged. For the last month my weight has hovered around the same 3 lbs.--down one day and up the next. I know weighing every day is not good, but with my pulmonary disease I have a real problem with fluid retention to I have to weight every day to make sure I am not retaining fluid (when you are obese, or morbidly obese, fluid can hide and you don't realize you are retaining until you have 10-15 lbs of fluid). After reading several of the posts about protein intake and weight loss, I am striving to make sure I get 55-70 gms of protein a day to see if I can start losing again. Some days I only get about 30 gms and about 250 calories. I will let you know if this works. Also, my knee finally is so that I can walk (I fell about 3 weeks ago and hurt my knee so that I could only take a couple of steps without a cane). I cannot do the 3-4 miles that others are doing, but a journey starts with 1 step--I am walking about 1/2 mile at present and hope to be up to a mile in about 10 days. Thanks for all the inspiring posts. Monna -55lbs
Gala G.
on 9/23/04 2:26 am - Middleton, WI
I had the same thing happen over the last month or so. And so did my dh. I think that part of it is normal. In the part of recovery that we are going threw. Also the protein is crucial and if you can get that in then you will do much better. Don't be discouraged. You had a rough start. I'm down -60 lbs. But I have also gained and lost like you are quite a few times too.. So hang in there. Gala
Monna W.
on 9/24/04 2:09 pm - Susanville, CA
Thanks for the encouragement. Congratulations on your loss and tell your hubby he is doing great, too. I am feeling better--more energy since I increased my protein, but the weight hasn't started coming off yet. Saw my PCP today for the first time since I had surgery and he was real impressed with my progress considering all I have been through. I would really like to have 60 lbs gone by the third month celebration. Nice to see we are surgery twins--same date. Keep up your good work, and again thanks for the encouragement. Monna
MinnieMia
on 9/23/04 3:00 am - SC
Just a thought but I struggled with the same 2-3 pounds until I started getting in enough calories. When I started getting 600-700 calories and 70-80g protein it started coming off again. You've done way better than me, though! Congrats on the 55 pound loss!
Monna W.
on 9/24/04 2:15 pm - Susanville, CA
Thanks for your words of encouragement. You are doing so great. I am walking every day--this evening I asked my daughter if we were walking and she said, "yes." I was in hopes she would say she was too tired. I won't go by myself because I am afraid of falling or getting so winded I can't make it home. She won't let me skip a day (bless her heart). I am working to get at least 70 gms of protein and 600-700 calories a day. I have made it for two days. Again thanks for sharing your experience and giving me encouragement. Monna
IrishIze
on 9/23/04 3:20 am - NJ
Monna, first off a 55 lb. weight loss is AWESOME!!! I agree with the others. At 250 calories and 30g protein, your body is hanging on for dear life. I had exactly the same problem when I had my stricture / ulcer. I couldn't get anything in - even water was a struggle. I was in the hospital and not allowed any foods for four days. I figured I must be losing weight like crazy! Well, I get home and I hadn't lost one pound! Long story short, I finally was able to eat more, and when I started getting in at least 500 calories and 50-60g protein, the weight started coming off. I weigh every day too....now that I can't pig out, I have to have something to do!! When I have good days, I'm losing about .5 lb a day. I am fortunate that I can get in about 3-4 miles of walking every day - split into a morning and an evening walk. But you are right, start with one step and build up. Give yourself small goals - buy a pedometer (I got one for $3.50 at Walmart) and add a tenth of a mile every other day or something. You'll feel so much better. Hang in there, Monna!! Hugs, Nancy -46
Monna W.
on 9/24/04 2:20 pm - Susanville, CA
Nancy, Thanks for sharing your experience. You certainly have had some challenges in your recovery--I just had to worry about a GI bleed and a wound infection. I am so glad you are doing better. I feel so good most of the time (except when I take a couple of extra bites and then I am so miserable). BTW, I love your profile page. I love Celtic design and do a lot of Celtic knotwork quilts. I have started designing some of my own. Who designed your page? I don't want to copy yours, but I would certainly like to do something similar. Stay well and thanks for your encouraging words. Monna
IrishIze
on 9/24/04 10:18 pm - NJ
Monna, Vickie L did my page. I did send her a few examples of what I wanted and she incorporated them into my page. I really love it. I'll bet your quilts are beautiful!! Hope things continue to improve for you - eat, drink and walk!! Hugs, Nancy -48
arlene I.
on 9/29/04 2:14 am - new york city, NY
sounds like you are on top of it. keep walking!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views